Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
I didn't - see my full post including this quote:
ah ok.. haha, I brought alcohol free beer cans into Maldives, no problems at customs at all
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by aysoo
ah ok.. haha, I brought alcohol free beer cans into Maldives, no problems at customs at all
Wait, are people not allowed to bring alcohol into the Maldives? I hadn't heard this before. So if I hit up the duty free shop at Dubai airport before flying to Male, will my alcohol be confiscated upon arrival?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:01 pm

Have been to Maldives

Will have to check out this spot, sounds great. Stay at Naladhu last time around.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:14 pm

You're spot on there, @mpeterson78! It's a Muslim nation and alcohol is only allowed at the hotels and resorts.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
I heard that too - and I "heart" it. ^
#spellcheckeron
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aysoo
nah - imagine the "heart" as a symbol = I love it
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Wait, are people not allowed to bring alcohol into the Maldives? I hadn't heard this before. So if I hit up the duty free shop at Dubai airport before flying to Male, will my alcohol be confiscated upon arrival?
If you are caught, it will be confiscated. Don't get caught. Duty free will tell you that you can bring it in but they just have no clue.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:45 am

It isn't confiscated really, it's held at the airport for your return.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You're spot on there, @mpeterson78! It's a Muslim nation and alcohol is only allowed at the hotels and resorts.
Is this unique to the Maldives though? I was in Bangladesh last year (Muslim country) and was able to bring in several bottles of booze from the duty free at HKG. So it's not just a religious thing. Maybe half religious, half extortion?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is this unique to the Maldives though? I was in Bangladesh last year (Muslim country) and was able to bring in several bottles of booze from the duty free at HKG. So it's not just a religious thing. Maybe half religious, half extortion?
Islam isn't monolithic, and it influences world governments to varying degrees. France and El Salvador are both very Catholic and yet still very different.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:46 pm

I'm already in the process of figuring out how to get back here. Went for five days as part of my honeymoon trip. Need 10 days next time for a babymoon perhaps. When is the best time to knock up my wife if we want to travel here and have her second trimester coincide with best travel dates?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I'm already in the process of figuring out how to get back here. Went for five days as part of my honeymoon trip. Need 10 days next time for a babymoon perhaps. When is the best time to knock up my wife if we want to travel here and have her second trimester coincide with best travel dates?
I don’t think you would want to take your pregnant wife and unborn child to the tropics. You’ve heard of Zika right?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
but I was told the same by (most senior) management on site.
I might not be welcome at the Conrad Maldives anymore then. I am Chinese, I can speak Chinese, heck I even look Chinese. I can't escape those attributes.

I visit China, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore - they speak mandarin/cantonese to me. I walk into a Prada shop in Europe and one of the Chinese sales people approach me and speak mandarin immediately.

I visit Atoll Marketplace and others might assume I am going to raid the buffet and clear everything out with one hand, and the other free hand holding a selfie stick taking a selfie - I don't do any of those things.

You see I was born, raised, educated and lived in Australia all my life so I am an 'Aussie through and through' with genuine Aussie accent too

Anyway it sucks to be judged when I travel "because you know, your people" comments I get. Sad but true but I understand why. Get Drunk On the Good Life I say.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Anyway it sucks to be judged when I travel "because you know, your people" comments I get. Sad but true but I understand why. Get Drunk On the Good Life I say.
My tippling sense just tingled!

I hear ya. I'll be on the lookout for ya when we're at the Conrad. Overpriced cocktails are on me. Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by jonjparr
I don’t think you would want to take your pregnant wife and unborn child to the tropics. You’ve heard of Zika right?
Yes. I don't remember dealing with mosquito bites while there last time though, and I didn't even use any repellent. I don't work for the CDC, but it seems the majority of cases involving birth defects for some inexplicable reason seem to be disproportionately higher in Brazil. Plenty of cases of Zika in places like Mexico, but even of those cases where a woman was pregnant, only a small percentage have resulted in birth defects in the fetus. Women are still getting pregnant in Mexico. They're still getting pregnant in Brazil. If taking precautions means you have to move to Alberta, then I think I might as well give up on children entirely. Presumably so should everyone living in the tropics.

In my opinion if one is going to be super concerned about catching Zika, they should choose another destination. Not because your fears make you a magnet for Zika-carrying mosquitoes, but more so I think you'll just ruin your vacation. I would likely be more worried about her out and about, day to day, driving in LA traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.