Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
Hi. How far in advance should one request a particular BV range? We’re bringing our daughter who will be just over one year old by then, what would you recommend for easy and good beach access? We’re staying in March for a week, if that matters.

(Hard to search within the thread on mobile so I apologize if this has been covered earlier)
I requested one a bit more than eight months in advance, and the person who responded said that they would note my preference and work to make it happen but could not guarantee it until the time of check-in. That sounds reasonable to me. I'm a diamond guest, though, so I'm hoping that they upgrade me to the underwater suite currently under construction so that there is adequate space for my giraffe and my friend who is a former American Idol.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
Hi. How far in advance should one request a particular BV range? We’re bringing our daughter who will be just over one year old by then, what would you recommend for easy and good beach access? We’re staying in March for a week, if that matters.

(Hard to search within the thread on mobile so I apologize if this has been covered earlier)
A fortnight or a week out is fine. Are you able to see the wiki when you use your mobile? There are some links in there regarding villa selection. If not, I can post them here for you.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
A fortnight or a week out is fine. Are you able to see the wiki when you use your mobile? There are some links in there regarding villa selection. If not, I can post them here for you.
Thank you, found the wiki after posting. Looking forward to our stay!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Maybe this is noted somewhere, but last night while eating at Sunset grill we learned we could order drinks and wine from the Rangali Bar. Saved us a bunch on a bottle of French Syrah.
I order a bottle of wine and then have what I haven't drunk delivered to the restaurant I'm eating in the next night. My only disappointment was that I couldn't bring my welcome bottle of bubbly to a restaurant. Solved though by room service.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by manneca
My only disappointment was that I couldn't bring my welcome bottle of bubbly to a restaurant.
We could have had ours at Rangali bar for a cork fee of $25. We chose to have it at the beach for free instead.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: VA
Originally Posted by goliath
The question in post #2920 was not whether status would be honoured on award stays or not.

The question was whether status would be honoured if status only existed when making the booking, but has expired between booking and staying. @:-)
I was Gold when I booked my first stay at the Maldives but was Diamond by the time of the stay - they still had Gold on file so makes me thing it's based on the time of booking, but if you can get a card to get Gold automagically then why not just do it and avoid the risk of missing out on breakfasts, drinks, afternoon tea etc. Free Lounge use on departure is only for Diamond and had just been introduced a week before we left on our last visit.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
One negative thing is we did not really enjoy our dinner time in Conrad because we did not feel hungry much at dinner time .We were tired of the very long flight and the jet lag last much longer so our body does not function normally.
Not sure if it's really worth mentioning that you didn't enjoy dinner because you weren't hungry. Not really the hotel's fault. Most people would choose something light or skip dinner if not hungry or eat less at breakfast or lunch...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:45 am

Hi, anyone knows if the hotel bill is charged in USD or other currency? Just want to know if foreign transaction fee will kick in if paying with an US-issued CC. Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by leokungkin
Hi, anyone knows if the hotel bill is charged in USD or other currency? Just want to know if foreign transaction fee will kick in if paying with an US-issued CC. Thanks
billed in usd. No other option as far as I’m aware. May still be treated as an international transaction and incur international fees depending on your card provider.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by timo469
I was curious how you got the wine cellar dinner for $180? I was quoted $288...
It's because the Wine Cellar was closed when we got there - so they moved us to the Wine and Cheese room for the dinner, so they gave us a $100 discount - I suppose for not having the same venue.

Having never been to the Wine Cellar I can't comment on the venue difference, but we loved the Wine and Cheese room - there was only us and one other couple so super intimate and the food was outstanding as were the wines and the ALL the pours
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Thumbs up

Billed in USD, yes. This past stay, used Amex (Surpass) for the first time. No FOREX charges.

Originally Posted by leokungkin
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:10 am

FWIW I've never heard or read about a FOREX charge at Rangali nor any other decent property in the Maldives. There's not one in all the 2255 TA reviews so that's gotta be worth something.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
We could have had ours at Rangali bar for a cork fee of $25. We chose to have it at the beach for free instead.
how did you smuggle that bottle into the Maldives
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aysoo
how did you smuggle that bottle into the Maldives
I didn't - see my full post including this quote:

Originally Posted by manneca
My only disappointment was that I couldn't bring my welcome bottle of bubbly to a restaurant..
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
quick feedback to my stay... you guys were right, no need to panic at all. this stay ruins all future Hilton stays for you^, it s I guess the best Hilton has to offer.
we arrived early enough, around 11am, our Retreat Villa 421 wasnt ready so was given dayroom DBV 218 (if i remember correct). Amazing, a bit outdated and due the regular floodings renovation needed which our concierge confirmed will happen soon.
Retreat 421 also renovation within the next 2-3 year due I would say, but good villa. Funny Chinese neighbours swimming in Tsunami vests in front of our shower... COMMENT DELETED BY MOD
Retreat villa 413(or 414? - right side) was under renovation the time we stayed at Conrad.

later moved back to BV 119, left side no neighours, right side quiet couple neighbours.

Afternoon tea for Gold / Diamond, if not arrived by 4:30 the buffet was eaten, not filled up. Happy Hour for Gold Diamond became later ridicolous, if not there by 5pm no seats available. I left it out the last 2 days.

Ithaa lunch, hard selling alcohol bottles after every meal. Food OKish.

Mandhoo Breakfast great, Atoll Market, went twice, at off peak times, still never managed to fill up buffet, had to wait at 3 stations (some meat refill, some curry refill, some fruit refill) at total of 25min !

mostly inroom breakfast 15USD tray charge. + Tax

Checkout date, got told leave room by 12, will have to shower at gym. Day of departure got told, will get Dayroom DBV, leave BV by 12. At 12 got told you can stay at the BV until 4:15pm.

House reef is great, I did the turtle tour which I also found great.
The private island picnic was OK too. Got promised a speed boat, but due a private hire we had to take the Dhoni. Which took 45min, instead of 15min.
It doesnt mention speedtour transfer, so I couldnt complain. Our concierge, the lifeguard and some others just mentioned beforehand it ll be the speedboat.

VILU renovation took until 11pm, I could hear that in my BV, a bit annoying. Wine cellar also closed. However living 25min from France within a wine region, 3h car drive from the champagne I dont feel the urge to pay import fees and didnt mind the closed wine cellar.

We played tennis, the court needs maintenance, the floor is at some areas weak, which means the ball doesnt bounce properly anymore.

I wrote a bit negative, however its an amazing stay. I spend so much, that thanks to all the double, tripple up promotion got enought points to book again. We were lucky with the weather in Nov, just got rain once for 30min in the evening. but will book for Jan19 again.

Retreat villa and BV (prefered the renovated BV to the DBV), WV, DWV, SWV are too small I think. OWV in my next life.

Last edited by squeakr; Dec 5, 2017 at 4:20 pm Reason: borderline rude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.