Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some changes to the reservation policy for the bar:
http://chicago.eater.com/2016/6/22/1...vation-changes
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:36 pm

Completed my stay. Excellent location. Checkin was a breeze, staff was very friendly & was upgraded to a suite.
Room was nice, albeit a long & skinny configuration that made it seem a bit smaller than it was. Bed was very comfortable.
As mentioned earlier the TV's had chromecast ability which is nice but as someone who is unfamiliar with chromecast it wasn't very intuitive at all to use.
As for the much mentioned rooftop deck: it's open during the day & was pretty empty so was easy to go up & have a look around. Great space & great view. At night different story; when I was checking in I was told it was completely booked during my stay & that of I wanted I could go up & see the desk at the entrance to get wait listed & would be notified if I would be allowed in if space opened up. Too much of a hassle for me so didn't try. That whole thing put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth; though seeing the clientele that we're going up there (lots of old guys with young women) I'm guessing they were dropping a lot more cash than I would have.

Breakfast was fruit, yogurt, pastries, & an omelet station (not the full menu as someone mentioned).

Lastly, my room was directly next to an elevator i nearly went back down to request a different one without even going in as I've previously had bad experiences with noisy elevator but this one didn't make a peep inside the room.

Overall a nice addition to Chicago. Not quite as nice as the WA but better located (I guess that's completely depending on where one needs to be of course). Between this, the upcoming Conrad, the Wit & the WA, Chicago is a great city for Hilton brands.

Overall very nice
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Some changes to the reservation policy for the bar:
http://chicago.eater.com/2016/6/22/1...vation-changes
Here are more details. It appears they've been listening to feedback about hotel guests having to wait, etc. I will be staying here soon and will try to report back on our success at getting an outside table to have drinks.
https://londonhouse.tocktix.com/#/faq
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:56 am

Stayed here over the weekend. Nice hotel, great location from a tourism perspective. Hotel breakfast is just an omelette station and a couple of bread options. No issues with service and the hotel is brand new, so of course all is very nice.
I was told that as a Diamond I could go up to the rooftop and tell them I was a Diamond guest and that would get me in. I only went up one afternoon, and had no problem walking in without any questions about who I was. While it is nice, it's not necessarily a reason to pick this hotel over any other options. The drinks/food are overpriced, which was to be expected, but there are many other places in Chicago with rooftops and great atmospheres.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: LH Senator / AF Plat / QR Plat / HH Diamond Life / MR Plat
Got offered approx. 150.000 points compensation, after a 5 night-stay booked for 240.000 points. This is the e-mail I sent to Guest Assistance after a horrible stay there:

"This has been one of my worst Hilton stays ever - and I have over 300 nights per year normally. Every Curio experience I’ve had in the past was terrible, but this one has managed to be even worse.

On the first two days, the A/C stopped working three times. Each time, maintenance staff fixed but the problem returned a few hours later. I was not offered to change rooms, as the hotel was full. We slept without A/C at around 80 degrees for the first two nights. On the second day, the room hadn’t been cleaned by around 4pm, so I called the reception and asked for it to be cleaned. When I returned at around 6pm, it hadn’t been done. I asked once again, and went for dinner. At 11:30pm, when I came back, it hadn’t been cleaned.

Next morning, I spoke with the FOM Mr. Keith, and explained these issues and some other staff attitude issues. He apologized, and we agreed that the room would be cleaned and the A/C would be fixed in 30 minutes (10:30am). He informed me that he would reimburse my first two nights (48.000 points each and additionally would provide 50.000 points as compensation). When I came back in the afternoon, around 3pm, the A/C was working but the room was still dirty. Additionally, there were debris from the A/C maintenance everywhere. I had to request, once again, for the room to be cleaned. When we returned at around 6pm, the room was finally clean, but the A/C once again did not work. I was then offered to change rooms, to a lower category (Suite instead of Vista Suite).

Yesterday, the 3rd day, the room was only cleaned at 5:45pm. Today, on the 4th day, I went out at 1pm and asked for the room to be cleaned on the next hour, for I would have to work upon my return. I came back at 4:15pm and the room was being cleaned, I had to wait. Once again, my request was ignored.

This is all beyond the acceptable. I would imagine that, after speaking to management, I would not face any issues of the same kind. Also, I would expect management to verify that the maintenance was correctly done, and if not, block a similar room for me to change. I’m traveling with a lot of luggage, and it was really inconvenient to change rooms. The attitude and service provided is horrible, and I should not have to ask more then once for the room to be cleaned.

An additional point which needs to be mentioned is the breakfast. I don’t even bother going there anymore, as you can’t normally find a table to sit. The breakfast is a makeshift counter at the lobby bar, with a coffee, couple of pastries and an omelet station. I asked for toast, and was informed I’d have to pay $6 for it! There are only 5 proper tables, and the rest are low-height coffee tables which are not adequate for a meal. If the hotel does not have a proper restaurant to serve breakfast, the Diamond breakfast should be allowed to be ordered from room service.

You should really review the Hilton Brand standards, which are definitely not being followed at this property. As a Diamond member, with over 300 nights per year, I expect better from you."
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:03 am
jtr

Programs: AC E50K, HH Diamond
I had the pleasure of staying at this property during election week. I was greeted with an upgrade to a Vista Suite which was a good size and had an excellent view. Room was very nice and well appointed -- Chromecast on the TV(s) is a nice touch! Staff were friendly.

Offered "Free" Breakfast which was quite lean, but sufficient to get the day started.

In terms of location, I would highly recommend this property for anyone on vacation or working in The Loop/Near North. Lots of great restaurants and bars close by, walking distance to Millenium Park, easy access to train lines, etc.

Overall, a very nice addition to Hilton portfolio in Chicago!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
There is a breakfast menu here. Skip the continental and order off the menu

The rooms are very modern with a variety of lighting options for so that you can have different brightness levels. The bathroom light operates by a motion sensor. The thermostat worked well enough to control the temperature.

I am a Hilton Gold and I have not seen much about the alternatives to the continental buffet. The offering on that are underwhelming. Our breakfast coupons did allow us a an 18 dollar per person credit to order off the menu. I recommend this. The menu has all of the hot breakfast items that are normally desired. The pancakes were some of the best that I have eaten in a hotel. Light and fluffy. We paid an additional 12 dollars. So prices were not too outrageous.

The service is can do here. The hotel was prepared to give me the room that I selected for on line check in. I changed my mind when when we pulled up and I saw a possibility for rooms that looked north down Michigan. The front desk agent cheerfully looked for one of these rooms.

The dining room staff was the same. Everybody was friendly. Service recovery was quick and friendly. An incorrect order was returned and delivered promptly and hot. Though I told the front desk agent there were two guests in the room, she only gave one coupon. I assumed this covered both. The waitress cheerfully went and got a second. This type of service overcomes small errors.

We enjoyed our stay.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by steve4031
The rooms are very modern with a variety of lighting options for so that you can have different brightness levels. The bathroom light operates by a motion sensor. The thermostat worked well enough to control the temperature.

I am a Hilton Gold and I have not seen much about the alternatives to the continental buffet. The offering on that are underwhelming. Our breakfast coupons did allow us a an 18 dollar per person credit to order off the menu. I recommend this. The menu has all of the hot breakfast items that are normally desired. The pancakes were some of the best that I have eaten in a hotel. Light and fluffy. We paid an additional 12 dollars. So prices were not too outrageous.

The service is can do here. The hotel was prepared to give me the room that I selected for on line check in. I changed my mind when when we pulled up and I saw a possibility for rooms that looked north down Michigan. The front desk agent cheerfully looked for one of these rooms.

The dining room staff was the same. Everybody was friendly. Service recovery was quick and friendly. An incorrect order was returned and delivered promptly and hot. Though I told the front desk agent there were two guests in the room, she only gave one coupon. I assumed this covered both. The waitress cheerfully went and got a second. This type of service overcomes small errors.

We enjoyed our stay.
That's good info to know. Thanks for sharing. I'm staying there next week and was wondering if it might be better just to eat somewhere else for breakfast based on the posts people have been leaving.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Then there is the aforementioned rooftop bar...what an interesting experience. Let's just say that they take this very seriously... the hostess was quoting a 30+ minute wait. Mind you there was no one up there at the time. Her position was that they were "fully booked with reservations"... then a manager happened to be passing by, overheard and realized that she was being somewhat ridiculous...
Lots of discussion here about the rooftop bar. There has been chatter on the Chicago subreddit about serious backstage problems there, to wit:

"I worked there during the first 3 months it was open...I've worked in a lot of restaurants and I've never been around such an unsafe, immoral, and sexist establishment."

"I work in another hotel in the area and one of our staff left us to help open London House months ago. Word is he also jumped ship from there only after a couple months of operation."

Etc.

Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/com...ouses_rooftop/

Nice view, lousy karma, it sounds like.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had a recent stay here. As a diamond was upgraded to a vista room with a view of the river, Michigan Ave., and the Wrigley and Tribune Buildings. The first floor of the building has retained much of the period touches. The hotel lobby is on the second floor along with a bar with a north view of the river. Check in was easy. Every time I got on one of the elevators I would unconsciously reach for a button but since the elevator cars have no buttons...it's a hard habit to break but finally did upon my 10th ride or so.

Although the rooms are smallish they are modern and comfortable and I was very satisfied. Toiletries are Malin+Goetz. After dinner out with friends returned late for a nightcap in the lobby bar. Service was prompt and it was an inviting place late.

The fitness center is on the 5th floor and features a number of modern cardio machines, dumbbells, and room to stretch. The spa is on the same floor. I did not visit the much talked about rooftop bars as the temperature was in the single digits.

Breakfast was provided in the 21st floor bar/restaurant. The free continental breakfast was valued at $18, which for coffee, juice, and some pastries, bread, yoghurt, and fruit seemed a little rich. Omelets were available for $12 with 3 ingredients (additional ingredients were $2 each). Other breakfast choices such as eggs benedict were available starting at $14. There were plenty of seats at regular tables and the coffee and service were good.

My rate was quite good and the room, breakfast, and service was a very good value for what I paid.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Stayed here a week or so ago during the cold spell and definitely enjoyed this hotel. Was upgraded to a room overlooking the river (directly at the Trump hotel), which was spacious.

Didn't have time to enjoy the amenities (had to leave before breakfast, rooftop was closed due to snow, etc.), but will definitely stay here again. I'm a sucker for the Nespresso machines they have.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Very good service

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton

85 E Upper Wacker Dr Chicago, Illinois US 60601

Very good service (7 Photos)

Check In

Took a cab from ORD, bell boy helped to get me (and my bags) to the lobby on the second floor, and check-in was friendly enough. No upgrade, but I think the hotel was pretty close to maximum capacity (lots of going on). I received two bottles of water, and was thanked for being a loyal Diamond member. Three breakfast chits, and I was explained the ins and outs of breakfast (either continental breakfast or $18 towards anything on the breakfast menu). Fair enough. (One morning the waiter just took the chit and thanked me, two other mornings I had to sign a check.)

Room

I had a booked a suite with one bedroom long before the opening, as I needed it for interviews (and the rate was amazingly cheap last May). Views were not towards the river, but otherwise very nice room.

Bed was comfortable, and there were enough sockets on both sides.

20170106_111951_resized.jpg

Living room was a bit dark, but sofa was comfortable.

20170106_112028_resized.jpg

Good-sized bathroom, but toilet was in the same place, so perhaps not ideal if there are several people in the same room. I liked the Malin+Goetz toiletries.

20170106_112043(0)_resized.jpg

Service

I found the staff to be very friendly and quite efficient in all my transactions with them. This applies both the breakfast and lobby bar. Most of them were quite young.

Dining

I had continental breakfast on all three mornings. Cereals, fruits, yogurt, toast, muffins, coffee, juice... It was more than enough for me. The restaurant on 21st floor doesn't really have any views, but fireplace looked nice on very cold January mornings...

20170107_065643_resized.jpg

I had a glass of wine one night in the lobby bar on the second floor. Views of the river etc. are really quite nice from there.

Location can't really be beat. It was very convenient for my purposes this time, but I can't imagine a tourist trip where this location wouldn't work.

Rooftop bar was of course closed in January, but one can actually access the terrace from the restaurant on 21st floor. The views are great.

20170106_204814_resized_1.jpg

20170106_204804_resized_1.jpg20170106_204853_resized.jpg

Gym

Gym was pretty small, several treadmills etc. and some free weights, plus stretching area. It was enough for me, but some people might not like the lack of equipment.

Overall

I really enjoyed my stay quite a bit. Location is really exceptional, anything tourist-y (and many things not tourist-y) very easily accessible. Staff were friendly (and mostly young).

Continental breakfast could be a bit more varied (cheese, cold cuts etc.), but I managed to fill my stomach each morning. And I liked the coffee!

I can understand why the rooftop bar is so popular during warmer months. But hey, when I was there taking pictures in January... I had the whole place to myself! :p

Very good service

Would you like to write a review on the LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I had a recent stay here. As a diamond was upgraded to a vista room with a view of the river, Michigan Ave., and the Wrigley and Tribune Buildings. The first floor of the building has retained much of the period touches. The hotel lobby is on the second floor along with a bar with a north view of the river. Check in was easy. Every time I got on one of the elevators I would unconsciously reach for a button but since the elevator cars have no buttons...it's a hard habit to break but finally did upon my 10th ride or so.

Although the rooms are smallish they are modern and comfortable and I was very satisfied. Toiletries are Malin+Goetz. After dinner out with friends returned late for a nightcap in the lobby bar. Service was prompt and it was an inviting place late.

The fitness center is on the 5th floor and features a number of modern cardio machines, dumbbells, and room to stretch. The spa is on the same floor. I did not visit the much talked about rooftop bars as the temperature was in the single digits.

Breakfast was provided in the 21st floor bar/restaurant. The free continental breakfast was valued at $18, which for coffee, juice, and some pastries, bread, yoghurt, and fruit seemed a little rich. Omelets were available for $12 with 3 ingredients (additional ingredients were $2 each). Other breakfast choices such as eggs benedict were available starting at $14. There were plenty of seats at regular tables and the coffee and service were good.

My rate was quite good and the room, breakfast, and service was a very good value for what I paid.

So it seems like they changed the breakfast to the 21st floor restaurant instead of the lobby (which was a horrendous setup).

I stayed in July of 2016 when they first opened and the lobby breakfast situation was bad -- only one server, no direction of where to go, who to give vouchers to, how to be seated, etc.

Omelettes, however, were a part of the complimentary Gold/Diamond breakfast benefit... Are they not anymore?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bj27
So it seems like they changed the breakfast to the 21st floor restaurant instead of the lobby (which was a horrendous setup).

I stayed in July of 2016 when they first opened and the lobby breakfast situation was bad -- only one server, no direction of where to go, who to give vouchers to, how to be seated, etc.

Omelettes, however, were a part of the complimentary Gold/Diamond breakfast benefit... Are they not anymore?
As I said, omelets were available for purchase, they were not part of the $18 continental breakfast benefit. I was not bothered as you could apply the $18 benefit to anything on the menu, which I was quite satisfied with, as the continental breakfast spread was less than overwhelming. There were plenty of servers on 21 and what I ordered off the menu was excellent.

I have had two subsequent stays here and both included similar upgrades to vista rooms. On the first about a week later, the front desk staff person remembered me from my previous stay and greeted me by name. On that stay due to weather and flight cancellations the next day, I ended up checking out several hours after I checked in and heading to ORD to fly out. When I came downstairs with my bag and told her I was leaving due to weather and the canceled and changed flight, she suggested that she would talk to the manager and convert my rate into some sort of reduced or day rate. I did not ask for anything and was not expecting anything when I went downstairs. I was quite impressed with her initiative and the outcome and will continue to stay at the LH when staying on this side of the river.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
I wanted to love this hotel

85 E Upper Wacker Dr Chicago, Illinois US 60601

I wanted to love this hotel (8 Photos)

Stayed for one night early February. I so wanted to love this place but just didn't take to it.

The pros:

As has been said, beautiful decor both at the entrance and the checkin lobby.  Rooms are spotless but rather small and dark (had a King Vista room). Lovely linens on the bed and plenty of towels, nice amenities Malie +Goetz.  Fridge and coffee maker (with one cup and several glasses!) and bathrobe in the wardrobe.

Staff were very welcoming, early check-in and late checkout available. Wifi was good with no dropped signals.

View was directly opposite the Trump Tower, but lovely view down the river. Room was slightly on the small side.  River views are odd numbered rooms.

The not so goods!:

The fan/heater/AC  in the bathroom switched itself on / off every 5 minutes so was on for 5 mins, then went silent then switched itself on again.  At 11pm I had had enough of this and called down for maintenance, who arrived within 5 minutes and advise that this was meant to happen, but they could either turn it off completely or leave it on - I opted for the "off" and was fine - no way could I sleep witht his switching on/off all night.

The bed was fairly soft, which isn't good for me so didnt sleep that well YMMV but may have been over tired from the AC problem.

Shower didn't have a lot of pressure and not hot - was just over luke warm.  There are no sockets in the bathroom - which means the hairdryer plugs into a socket near the main room door and you stretch to see what you are doing in the very large mirror.

I couldn't get on with the light switches/sensors - there is a delay so they dont come "on" or go "off" immediately so dim before going off.  I did like the "all off" switch by the door, but again hit it a few times before I realized there was a delay in that.  The room was therefore fairly dark I thought even witht the lights on.

TV is huge with good selection of channels, and as previously mentioned has Chromecast - which is great.

Bar prices are on the "very high" end.

The elevators take a bit of getting used to and if you hover over a number it records it.  Having said that I never waited long for the elevator.

Check In

Lovely old lobby and guided to the elevators for the 2nd floor to complete check-in.  Early check-in no problem, and no problem asking for a late (2pm) checkout the following day.

Room

20170201_131238.jpg20170201_131254.jpg20170201_131311.jpg

20170201_130757.jpg20170201_142045.jpg20170201_142133.jpg20170201_142140.jpg20170201_170522.jpg

I wanted to love this hotel

Would you like to write a review on the LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.