Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by steve4031
I truly like this property and the staff at check inn were outstanding. The change in breakfast policy would cause me to hesitate to book this property in the future. Especially at higher rates.
Why? The buffet is a good breakfast benefit. Offerings are more extensive than most U.S. Hilton executive lounges and this is certainly better than hotels that limit diamonds to continential portions of buffets. LH breakfast includes: 2 scrambled eggs choices (cheese or no cheese), good bacon, sausage, avocado toast, another protein option on toast, yogurts, fresh fruit, cereral, bakery options, juice, coffee, etc. I understand being upset that a benefit (the credit) was removed, but the property already goes above and beyond with the free buffet. It certainly wouldn't deter me from staying.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
... the food on offer at breakfast was excellent, no doubt. A top class spread for the 'continental buffet' comprising 4 berries (raspberries, blueberries,strawberries, blackberries), melon, grape, pineapple, yoghurt granola (good granola ... not London Bankside granola, but good) other cereals, "DIY" porridge pots, banana bread (great quality), muffins, croissants, breads, waffles, bacon, scrambled egg, avocado & arugula toast, and apparently they usually also have some beef brisket thing (but not today). In short, the continental buffet is very substantial and good quality - I didn't feel at all short-changed ...
We just went to the restaurant on the 21st floor. We were told that we could only order off the buffet. No credit towards ordering off the menu ...

When I stayed about a month ago I was told that the diamond breakfast amenity was the 'continental' buffet only - no credit towards a la carte. Initially I was worried, but as I mentioned in the post above, the buffet food was excellent and varied - I wouldn't have traded it for a menu item, personally. The loss of this option may be a 'downgrade' in comparison with the previous position but this is not a shabby breakfast by any means.

I was initially unimpressed by this hotel, based mainly on poor service and, more specifically, staff disinterest. But I warmed to it during my 4-night stay.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:34 pm

How was service at breakfast in terms of speed? Some of the reviews from before it was changed to a buffet option talked about it taking a ridiculously long time to order and get food, and I'm not going to have a lot of time in the mornings when I am there... seems like if it is a buffet, we shouldn't need to wait around much for service? I have reservations both at LH and the Conrad, I actually got the Conrad when it was less points than LH so it is a better deal, but the location of the LH is better for me and have seen a lot of complaints in recent reviews of the Conrad. Knowing I could get breakfast relatively quickly so I could take advantage of breakfast offered at the hotel would make a difference for me.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
The service was ok on both of my visits

It was not busy. We went early though. I saw only one server this morning. I walked by the buffet on the way our. The scramble eggs were not powdered. Iirc they had cheese. The bacon looked delicious. I agree with other posters that quality is good. But if you want eggs with no cheese, or an omelette with spinach, etc, ordering off the menu is better. I was going to order eggs Benedict but they did not have ham.

I suspect the contents of the buffet varies based on the whims of the chef which means you may not see the same items every day. The quality would be excellent imho.

I'm a picky eater, hence my desire to eat off the menu.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:38 pm

I... I suspect the contents of the buffet varies based on the whims of the chef which means you may not see the same items every day...
You may be right - though I saw an identical buffet presented 4 days in a row, so there seems to be short-term consistency, at least!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:11 pm

Thank you both for the breakfast info! Appreciate the help.

Were you able to get a view of the river? I have a regular king room booked, not sure if there is a chance of a river view with that. The Vista rooms look great but the hotel is expensive for both dollars and points when I will be there, so I'm waiting to see if the rates drop before I consider upgrading to the Vista room.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ABlue

Were you able to get a view of the river? I have a regular king room booked, not sure if there is a chance of a river view with that. The Vista rooms look great but the hotel is expensive for both dollars and points when I will be there, so I'm waiting to see if the rates drop before I consider upgrading to the Vista room.
I managed to get an upgrade(free) to the Vista room as HHD, your mileage of course may vary
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ABlue

I got no upgrade, but had a room that looked across the river to Trump Tower. No complaints though - the hotel was stuffed full because of a large conference taking over the city while I was there.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Had two recent stays here, as a diamond was upgraded to a vista room for one and to a suite for the other. Only complaint is that check-in took some time both stays due to a limited number of desk personnel.

As stated by others, breakfast is the buffet (no ordering off the menu) but with the addition of scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage to the buffet offerings I survived.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I am currently staying at the Londonhouse Chicago. It's a magnificent property - one of the best Hiltons I've stayed at in the US. Fantastic customer service, really great looking rooms. Unfortunately, the Diamond breakfast is awful. They have again changed the concept - it's no longer a buffet breakfast.

You get to choose one of the following:
granola
oatmeal
a donut

Regular black coffee. No juice. Seriously underwhelming. I'd rather they just remove the benefit altogether.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I am currently staying at the Londonhouse Chicago. It's a magnificent property - one of the best Hiltons I've stayed at in the US. Fantastic customer service, really great looking rooms. Unfortunately, the Diamond breakfast is awful. They have again changed the concept - it's no longer a buffet breakfast.

granola
oatmeal
a donut

Regular black coffee. No juice. Seriously underwhelming. I'd rather they just remove the benefit altogether.
What a joke. A donut?? What happened to the buffet? It was very good. Please express your dissatisfaction.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond

granola
oatmeal
a donut

That is a pretty severe downgrade and very, very unfortunate. They went from something decent to basically the same almost non-existent benefit TheWit offers.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miesque
That is a pretty severe downgrade and very, very unfortunate. They went from something decent to basically the same almost non-existent benefit TheWit offers.
Agreed. I will be letting them know that the breakfast is seriously embarrassing for this kind of property.

Here's a picture of the menu.

Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Agreed. I will be letting them know that the breakfast is seriously embarrassing for this kind of property.

Here's a picture of the menu.

damn, that just puts them on the no go list along with Hilton Chicago and their new 10usd breakfast.
And I love their beds and pillows but I'm a breakfast guy and usually awake early due to jetlag.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:56 pm

Wow, embarrassing. Had a bunch of Chicago spend earlier this year that all went to SPG; definitely not regretting it at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.