Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To those upset about the rooftop policies: give it time.

They have the ticket system in place; no one would pay if they knew that they could show up and get in without paying.

My prediction is that, sooner rather than later, the ticket system will only be for weekends, with weeknight charges waived for hotel guests.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

They have the ticket system in place; no one would pay if they knew that they could show up and get in without paying.

My prediction is that, sooner rather than later, the ticket system will only be for weekends, with weeknight charges waived for hotel guests.
A paying hotel guest should have priority over non guests 100% of the time, that's the issue; else don't advertise that you even have a rooftop bar as a hotel amenity otherwise.

Last edited by ukyank; Jun 14, 2016 at 5:52 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ukyank
I refuse to pay to get into a bar at a hotel in staying at.

So just to be clear - we did NOT pay anything to go to the rooftop, and there was no "ticket system", just a very adamant and illogical hostess who did not understand the concept of standing room vs. reserved tables. The second a manager appeared in passing we were quickly whisked up with apologies and all was well.

A paying hotel guest should have priority over non guests 100% of the time, that's the issue
Absolutely agree with this.

However, while I understand the sentiment in your first post, I disagree with the conclusion - this hotel is far and away a better property than theWit in pretty much every regard, and as other have noted the prices in upcoming weeks seem to have come down to a more reasonable level. Even if the rooftop were off limits I would pick this hand down over theWit. I have no doubt that you'll be able to make it up to the rooftop; it may just require a bit of asking (which I still agree with you 100% should NOT be the case for paying hotel guests).

Last edited by arlflyer; Jun 14, 2016 at 6:17 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
So just to be clear - we did NOT pay anything to go to the rooftop, and there was no "ticket system", just a very adamant and illogical hostess who did not understand the concept of standing room vs. reserved tables. The second a manager appeared in passing we were quickly whisked up with apologies and all was well.

Absolutely agree with this.

However, while I understand the sentiment in your first post, I disagree with the conclusion - this hotel is far and away a better property than theWit in pretty much every regard, and as other have noted the prices in upcoming weeks seem to have come down to a more reasonable level. Even if the rooftop were off limits I would pick this hand down over theWit. I have no doubt that you'll be able to make it up to the rooftop; it may just require a bit of asking (which I still agree with you 100% should NOT be the case for paying hotel guests).
Ok; I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - the rate I got was actually very good apparently ($199 - last weekend of June); & yea I realize you don't have to pay for bar entry; but to guarantee it you do at this point as per their bar 'reservation' site & im not really into begging management to be allowed in.

Last edited by ukyank; Jun 14, 2016 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Ok; I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - the rate I got was actually very good apparently ($199 - last weekend of June); & yea I realize you don't have to pay for bar entry; but to guarantee it you do at this point as per their bar 'reservation' site & im not really into begging management to be allowed in.
Very good rate for a very good hotel. Definitely worth a try at that price to at least see for yourself and make your own conclusion. I think you will probably be happy!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I missed in arlflyer's large post that he/she was only seeking standing space.

The purpose of the paid reservation system (which uses the ticketing system developed by Alinea restaurt) is for tables only.

When a guest was only seeking standing space, it sounds like the hostess was overzealous; if she was rude on top of it, it was cleary unacceptable.

But it is not the first or last time that hotels market primarily to non-guests, the W brand being one of the worst offenders.

Don't know if you remember the major issues at the W Hollywood when they sold control of their swimming pool to a nightclub/dayclub operator who promptly banned hotel guests. That was far worse, since there was no alternative.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
So, as folks reading my above posts may discern, I went into a stay at this property with somewhat low expectations, thinking it was going to be a nickel-and-dime type of operation where no one would give me the time of day. I was 100% wrong.
Excellent review and photos. Really put this property on the radar screen for me.

Yes, my guess is that they're going to get a bunch of flack from hotel guests about this policy and will be forced to change. Too much high end competition in Chicago for such an arrogant guest-unfriendly policy to survive.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the great photos.

Pretty nice location for a lot of visitors to Chicago. Nicely between Loop and North Michigan area, with river views.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:07 am
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures, room, and view. You've put this hotel on my radar screen.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:28 pm

I missed in arlflyer's large post that he/she was only seeking standing space.

The purpose of the paid reservation system (which uses the ticketing system developed by Alinea restaurt) is for tables only.

When a guest was only seeking standing space, it sounds like the hostess was overzealous; if she was rude on top of it, it was cleary unacceptable.
Actually the site where you make reservations for the bar covers both standing only (free) as well as tables (not free). I didn't check past the end of the month as I wasn't going to be there then, but the standing only was booked fully everyday through June whereas tables were still available for a reservation so it appears that you do need to rely on their goodwill to enter unless you were able to reserve space earlier & can be turned away otherwise.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
No room in the bar for all of June, at any time apparently. Booking doesn't seem to be open for July yet.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Truffles
No room in the bar for all of June, at any time apparently.
Bet they gave away a bunch of comps to create "buzz."
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Bet they gave away a bunch of comps to create "buzz."
No doubt, to a bunch of bimbos and himbos
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I snagged a corp rate here tomorrow night for $127, while the HHonors Discount was already only $155... not sure if this is a promo of some sort or just low occupancy, but rates for the same night about a week ago were ~$380. Instead of renting a car from O'Hare I'll take CTA into town to avoid parking and pick up my rental car nearby on Thurs morning and return to O'Hare. We may see about checking out the rooftop bar, but I'll be meeting up with a buddy to check out a few local places too.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Update on above. Upgraded to a suite at early (~1pm) check-in. Ground-floor has very 1930's Gotham feel, while lobby is much more modern and glam. Room is small-ish for a suite but excellent otherwise. I REALLY like that the TVs have built-in Chromecast which makes playing my own media, Netflix, etc much easier (no need to hook up the Amazon Fire TV Stick I carry with me). My room is eye level with the giant TRUMP letters across the river, but the drapes block it so no issues sleeping. Rooftop portion of the bar on 22 was closed for rain but the indoor portion on 21 was open, busy, but easy to walk in with no wait and no charge. For the rate paid, or even up to $200-$250, I'd call this an absolute win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.