Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Arrow LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

The LondonHouse Chicago, a Curio Collection Hotel, is scheduled to open Spring 2016. Located at 85 East Wacker Drive At North Michigan Avenue Chicago IL 60601. The website is up and running:
http://londonhousechicago.com/

The LondonHouse is currently accepting reservations for arrival on June 26, 2016.

As a frequent visitor to Chicago I'm looking forward to the opening. The rooftop space looks like it will be popular in the summer. Additional pictures and discussion here:
http://chicago.eater.com/2016/2/12/1...taurant-lounge
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...pdate.php#more

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 5, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
LondonHouse must be either ahead of schedule or doing a small soft opening because I did a last minute check this morning on availability for downtown Hyatt and Hiltons for Monday night and low and behold the LondonHouse popped up at the same rate I was paying for the Hyatt Regency Chicago so I promptly switched. I already had a reservation for LondonHouse for the Fourth of July so I booked the same room I did that evening "King Vista Room" Will be sure to post about the stay.

Did some googling and it does appear they are doing a soft open starting yesterday http://chicago.eater.com/2016/5/26/1...pening-gallery
Old May 28, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
What a good location for both Loop and River North - looking forward to the on-site report.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:03 pm

I am in the midst of my one night stay. I booked a Vista room and was upgraded to the Vista suite. It is well decorated and apportioned but the one thing that is noticeable to at least me is the room/suite is definitely on the narrow side (it was especially noticeable to me since I was in an Executive Suite at the Hyatt Mag Mile which has an open spacious feel to it).

The elevators are different here in that there are no numbers in the elevator, you press the floor you are going to on a pad to summon the elevator (I had never seen this before and curious if others have). Complimentary HHonor water is two bottles of small Voss. Room service was good, had the filet mignon and truffled mashed potatoes.

I just went up to the Rooftop bar area to check out the action and was not allowed to see the actual rooftop bar, just the inside bar area adjacent to the elevator. I was told it was already pretty full (it was just before 8 PM Chicago time) That left a bad taste in my mouth as an actual hotel guest. I was annoyed because I actually made an effort to change to a blazer and pants to head up there (had been in robe and slippers).
Old May 30, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Miesque
I just went up to the Rooftop bar area to check out the action and was not allowed to see the actual rooftop bar, just the inside bar area adjacent to the elevator. I was told it was already pretty full (it was just before 8 PM Chicago time) That left a bad taste in my mouth as an actual hotel guest. I was annoyed because I actually made an effort to change to a blazer and pants to head up there (had been in robe and slippers).
Thanks for the report so far.

Just guessing, but it's possible that management of the rooftop bar is contracted out to a separate entity. If so, that management has control of admissions and being resident in the hotel does not override that. Still, it would bug me if it happened to me, you'really not being over-sensitive.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The elevators are different here in that there are no numbers in the elevator, you press the floor you are going to on a pad to summon the elevator (I had never seen this before and curious if others have).
We have that kind at my office. Theoretically, the elevator control system learns the travel patterns in the building and makes the operation more efficient.

Never seems to work out that way for us, tho.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, detective NNR reporting in. Here's part of the explanation:

Guaranteed access to the rooftop is being sold through an online ticketing system.

The system is Tock, which was developed for Michelin 3 star restaurant Alinea.

You select a time and designate your party size. Minimum 4.

$50 per person, and you get the table for 2 hours.

Still in soft opening, officially opens on June 1.

Over and out!
Old May 30, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
So apart from the Lobby bar, there is nowhere to eat or drink without booking in advance?

I was going to try this instead of The Wit, but I don't think I will now.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the scoop NNR. ^

That sort of arrangement automatically excludes someone like myself. There are more things I capriciously spend money that I wish were the case, but unless it was a very special unique circumstance, I am not spending $200 to reserve a cocktail table for myself and up to three other friends for a mere 2 hours. I somewhat feel like I have given up some sort of hipster card for making such a comment, but I am now old enough to also comment "Whatever"

Back to the actual hotel analysis. I took an evening shower and the water pressure and water temperature were more lacking for what one would expect in such a nice hotel bathroom. Temp was "strong lukewarm," which is probably fine with many but I like it hot. Also, the showerhead is non adjustable, but one of those wide heads which by definition needs strong water pressure to be at its optimum flow.

There is a Nespresso in the room, there are Nespresso tablets by the machine but no cups other than the water glasses in the bathroom.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I am in the midst of my one night stay. I booked a Vista room and was upgraded to the Vista suite. It is well decorated and apportioned but the one thing that is noticeable to at least me is the room/suite is definitely on the narrow side (it was especially noticeable to me since I was in an Executive Suite at the Hyatt Mag Mile which has an open spacious feel to it).

The elevators are different here in that there are no numbers in the elevator, you press the floor you are going to on a pad to summon the elevator (I had never seen this before and curious if others have). Complimentary HHonor water is two bottles of small Voss. Room service was good, had the filet mignon and truffled mashed potatoes.

Your profiles stats HH Diamond, besides upgrade and water, any other benefits? Does the hotel have a lounge? How about breakfast experience?
Old May 31, 2016, 6:53 am

Would definitely be curious to hear if there are any Diamond amenities beyond the suite you lucked into...I have a stay booked in a couple weekends just because I was interested in this new property but if they're not doing anything for Diamonds I would rethink that and just go with an old standby like the PH or WA.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is a Nespresso in the room, there are Nespresso tablets by the machine but no cups other than the water glasses in the bathroom.
Brilliant! They can advertise Nespresso in the rooms without having to ever buy any more capsules.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
We have that kind at my office. Theoretically, the elevator control system learns the travel patterns in the building and makes the operation more efficient.

Never seems to work out that way for us, tho.
The London Hilton (PL) has it too, frightfully annoying.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:20 am

I just got back from Breakfast which was down in the lobby bar and the breakfast voucher which indicated (full breakfast on it) basically you could chose whatever you wanted off the list which was not very long (I went with the ham and cheese quiche and it was done attempting to be fancy). The coffee is really good coffee, very smooth, I had several cups. I noticed last night the room service menu was also pretty lean in terms of options. There is not a buffet or anything like that if you were looking to eat and run.

To answer a post above which I missed last night, it does appear that lobby bar is the only option that is not reservation in advance (the stuff up top). The set up is very casual there (two lounge type of chairs with a small table in between), you are not sitting at a real table. I did flip through the wine list and at least for the Champagne I thought the pricing was reasonable. Incidentally, a side impact of the real restaurants being upstairs is was a pretty distinct aroma of broiling meat in my room starting about 5-5:30 PM. I am on the 18th floor and the first food area is on 21. If you were a vegan (which I am definitely not eating medium rare filet for dinner) or if you were on a strict diet, I could see it driving you crazy.

There is no lounge at the property to answer another question.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Would definitely be curious to hear if there are any Diamond amenities beyond the suite you lucked into...I have a stay booked in a couple weekends just because I was interested in this new property but if they're not doing anything for Diamonds I would rethink that and just go with an old standby like the PH or WA.
The suite was actually the next available level room since I had booked a Vista Room which is at a premium to their regular King room. Its not as big of an upgrade as it might first appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.