Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honors Login Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
Is this a case of Hilton IT thinking this is acceptable? Are they so out of touch that this is considered good performance?

1. Bonus points take 6-8 weeks to post. Every other travel entity I deal with posts points/credits/miles within 48 hours. Hilton even posts stay credits (nights, stays, and points) quickly. Even the 100k Diamond Bonus posted in 90 seconds!
Are you not familiar with the concept of "sweeps"???

Hilton doesn't have code to instantly figure out who's due this bonus. They have to run a program once, have it scour all accounts, and figure out who updated their password during the right period of time, and then give them 1000 bonus points. They're undoutedly going to wait until after the end of the promo period to run this one "sweep".

There are promos which are posted after each activity, and there are other promos that post after the whole promo periods ends with "sweeps". You're mixing up the two!

"Sweeps" are used by many travel companies for many different promos, not just Hilton.

But "sweeps" are typically used for promos not related to stays/flights. (Except: "Sweeps" may still be used when it's not a one-to-one relationship between stay/flight and promo, for example, if it has to figure out whether you booked 4 stays between dates A and B and then the stays themselves were completed between dates C and D, they might need to do a "sweep" to gather up all that data.)

I have run into promos (not related to stays/flights/etc) at AA, IHG Club (formerly Priority Club), Marriott, SPG, Citi (AA cards), US Bank (LAN card), and many other travel companies that took weeks or even months to post.

Either you've never done promos not related to stays/flights before, or you've forgotten that different types of promos work differently.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Is it possible that this could be “spam” from a third party attempting to capitalize on the security issues of the Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program?
If I am suspicious of an e-mail message, what I will do is hover the cursor over links to see the actual URLs included to ensure that the e-mail message is legitimate...
I did not open the .html. But my point was that in light of Hilton's recent security issues, sending such an email and expecting people to click on an attachment was unbelievably stupid.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Website swamped out with password changers

What a surprise! Their website was overwhelmed and could not handle my change. Come back later....

You get 1000 points if you manage all this by March 25.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
I logged in to my account last night, saw the banner promoting the 1,000 points and changed my password.

Today, I got a password incorrect error on what I thought was the password I set. The emailed link to reset the password gives me an "unexpected technical difficulties error". If I log in with my HHonors #/PIN, it accepts the combo but sends me to a screen forcing me to create a password to continue. An attempt to create password sends me to the aforementioned error screen as well.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm having similar issues. Sometimes it takes the old (after rejecting the new), sometimes it takes the new (after rejecting the old), sometimes I get the same error message, sometimes I log in with one of the above plus Captcha, sometimes one of the above with no Captcha.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
I received an email offering me 1000 points to update my password. I had already supposedly changed my password but I still log in with the old one. So I went to my page last night and again this morning and clicked on the change password option. Both times, I got an error message saying "this was unexpected". And no ability to update the password. So I guess I won't be able to get this extra 1000 points either.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Didn't mean to start a duplicate thread, but I only search on Titles, and the word "Password" isn't in that title. I like descriptive titles, I guess
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:43 am

I tried to change my password but could not. Come back later message displayed.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Interesting... It seems the password change is still plagued by technical problems. Not only is the password change function not working, but Hilton has now taken down the page where they had posted the "Security Update" with all the blurb about changing your password by March 25, getting 1000 bonus points etc.(http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/policy...date-faqs.html now says "Coming Soon")

It hardly inspires confidence in their ability to keep hackers out of our accounts!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
24 hours later, the site is still apparently overwhelmed...

THAT WAS UNEXPECTED

Unfortunately, we are having technical difficulties and are unable to complete your request.

Please use one of the numbers below for customer service or to make a reservation.
Fail. You've set the deadline, HHonors. Your move. Maybe up the ante to 2,000 points?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
24 hours later, the site is still apparently overwhelmed...
Don't worry, even when it still "worked" and didn't show that downtime message, the password change didn't work. You would have received a confirmation message that your password had been changed successfully, but your new password still wouldn't work, instead you'd have to continue using your old one.
It's really impressive how the IT department of a company of that size can't get the simplest functions of their website to consistently work. Even more impressive if you think that most of their business nowadays should be done/generated online...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
While we are in this interregnum, a couple of additional thoughts:

When Carlson recently set the minimum at eight characters, including a capital, a non-capital, a number and a symbol, it was quite an irritant. Carlson and Hilton must have the same consultant.

The reCaptcha is an irritant. It works for me half the time. OK, it supplants Captcha, which became more and more difficult to read. (Not HHonors's problem, until it uses it.) And I acknowledge that it may be because the wifi signal I'm using is sketchy.

I get that my issues ironically support the security consultant's case. I know a couple of them. But it begs the question: What's next? Because there must be a next, because that's what this is really about.

*Rant over.*
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
When Carlson recently set the minimum at eight characters, including a capital, a non-capital, a number and a symbol, it was quite an irritant. Carlson and Hilton must have the same consultant.
Information security theater. A memorable password is no less secure in pratice. waldorfastoria would take 511 years to crack. consultantssuck would take 13,000 years.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:02 pm
duo

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I saw it, I changed my password but I can still sign in using the 4 digit PW
Same…and no 1000 points.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Information security theater. A memorable password is no less secure in pratice. waldorfastoria would take 511 years to crack. consultantssuck would take 13,000 years.
Thank you, davie355. I think I'll pass on playing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.