Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
You have to contact Hilton. Read the posts in the thread, particularly posts numbered in the 30s.
I thought I have to do that if I want to know my nights.

What's the best way to verify that my lifetime base points are accurately calculated by Hilton?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the best way to verify that my lifetime base points are accurately calculated by Hilton?
Compare your number to theirs, assuming you’ve been tracking since your first stay.
bonoman and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:01 pm

Getting to Lifetime Diamond.

After 25 years of travel, some years busy some not, this is where I am. It would be nice to have Lifetime Diamond, but I don't think there's any shortcuts while I'm still young enough to travel...I dunno...500 nights over the next 10 years 50 nights a year. I don't think I can do that. Of course I am aware that regular Diamond isn't too difficult.
Any other strategies?.

"Upon further review, our records show that you have completed the following toward Lifetime Diamond:

10 of 10 Years In Diamond
471 of 1,000 Nights
804,746 of 2,000,000 Base Points

Please note, future Diamond status, even if already earned, does not count towards Lifetime Diamond status until that year is completed."
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:21 pm

Likely not. Maybe diversify and go with other properties/brands that interest you. Took me about 25 years to hit it..can’t imagine being at that point and only halfway there. Lots of other good stuff out there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:58 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, we never got to have a MBS MillionMiler Lifetime Diamond DO. Where was the hotel that you crossed into 1,000 night territory and what did we miss?

David
I had a WONDERFUL stay at the Virgin Las Vegas. Suite upgrade, great breakfast and friendly staff; albeit nothing directly related to my 1,000th night threshold. I was there for work, so not super enjoyable or relaxing, nor did I have much time to indulge in anything.

Side note, my LT Diamond kit just arrived on Friday!
SPN Lifer, lsquare and DELee like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I had a WONDERFUL stay at the Virgin Las Vegas. Suite upgrade, great breakfast and friendly staff; albeit nothing directly related to my 1,000th night threshold. I was there for work, so not super enjoyable or relaxing, nor did I have much time to indulge in anything.

Side note, my LT Diamond kit just arrived on Friday!
Congrats again! If you want to encourage others to pursue LT Diamond, would welcome any photos of the kit you'd wish to share.

David
MBS MillionMiler and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Compare your number to theirs, assuming you’ve been tracking since your first stay.
I haven't. Where do I start now?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anybody in the US who wants to be "lifetime Diamond" already has the credit card.

There really is no point being loyal for 10+ years and 1,000 nights to be in roughly the same situation as somebody spending $450 a year on a credit card (and getting more value than that in credits, free nights. etc...)

Keep staying with Hilton if that works for you. Otherwise try something new. "Lifetime" is only about attracting wallet-share today, not guaranteeing certain benefits forever. (just look at free breakfast going away...)
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Before the pandemic started, I was 184 nights shy of Lifetime Diamond. Since Hilton started cutting back on breakfasts etc here in the US, I've only stayed with them an additional 6 nights. I have 6 more nights booked in Italy this summer and that's it.
I've been focusing all my stays on Hyatt and even though I won't make Lifetime Globalist in my lifetime, I will enjoy the lavish breakfasts that Globalist brings at most full service Hyatt hotels.

I already have HH Gold via Amex Plat and that should be sufficient for breakfast at overseas properties when needed, if there is no Hyatt.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
I agree with you. Even though I have been lifetime diamond for at least five years, I book Hyatt whenever it makes sense. Like you, I will never make LT Globalist but I am making sure to maintain Globalist each year. Hyatt Globalist is so much better than Hilton diamond. Room upgrades, the breakfast, and the concierge service puts Hilton to shame. Unfortunately, Hyatt's property bandwidth is not on par with Hilton.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I haven't. Where do I start now?
Check your stay details on the app post-stay and see points align with your expectations. I don’t think I’ve ever had a discrepancy in base points, so I don’t bother. Promo points are another story.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:35 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Anybody in the US who wants to be "lifetime Diamond" already has the credit card.

There really is no point being loyal for 10+ years and 1,000 nights to be in roughly the same situation as somebody spending $450 a year on a credit card (and getting more value than that in credits, free nights. etc...)

Keep staying with Hilton if that works for you. Otherwise try something new. "Lifetime" is only about attracting wallet-share today, not guaranteeing certain benefits forever. (just look at free breakfast going away...)
Agree 100% and it does upset me that those who pay a few hundred bucks a year get the same 'treatment' as a 1,000-night road warrior. However, I had to spend those nights somewhere over these 20+ years, and when Hilton worked, I stayed there. When Marriott made more sense, I stayed there. Same with IHG. But I also hit LT Plat with Marriott not too long before I hit it with Hilton. My aforementioned stay that took me over the 1,000 nights was MONTHS in the making. I'd always liked the Marriott properties in the specific places I've been going lately--and probably had 20-30 nights with them while still sitting at 999 LT Hilton nights. Sure, there were times in years past where I was sitting at maybe 55 HH nights for the year--in those cases, I'd have been crazy not to reattain Diamond (not from a mattress run perspective, but just directing my stays there when perhaps another property was more convenient).

But my LT Diamond status is indeed having the opposite effect. No future stays booked with HH at the moment and only stay when all things aren't otherwise equal. And while I do have LT Platinum with Marriott, I hope to keep my Titanium status with them--so I have been leaning heavier on Bonvoy lately. I've stayed at IHG properties I may have overlooked before, but Hyatt just does not work for me--as appealing as the program is in a lot of aspects.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4
Has anybody noticed better upgrades as LTD than as Diamond? I mean besides not needing to stay 60 nights to renew, is there perceived value of LTD over Diamond during any given stay? It seems prioritizing LTD upgrades over Diamond is a relatively new thing since November 2021, I am curious how that's going.
None. Actually, I'm not sure I've been upgraded-by-status once since hitting LTD -- but I'm also not sure I've stayed in any properties where UGs are a published benefit (an Embassy Suites in IL kicked me over to a suite for 1 of 4 stays last month -- but that's because the room I had booked had a lock with a dead battery so neither app nor keycard would let me in, not because of status but that's the only upgrade of note in CONUS since the pandemic started)
WVmike and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:15 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by DELee
Congrats again! If you want to encourage others to pursue LT Diamond, would welcome any photos of the kit you'd wish to share.
Well, alright then!

You can see a little booklet in the 2nd pic that says "your Hilton Honors travel journey"...I was hoping for a little more detail in it, but they listed my very first stay, then I have NO IDEA why they chose Rockford--funny, but it's honestly one city I just DO NOT REMEMBER visiting (sorry Rockfordites, no offense). I mean, Las Vegas--okay. But I've stayed in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Maui, Maldives, New York--but the computer randomly picked Rockford.

I just realized, thanks to the pamphlet, that my first night was in Las Vegas (at my old standby Las Vegas Hilton--now the Westgate), and my 1,000th (and last) stay was in Las Vegas (as mentioned before, the Virgin LV). ...And technically the hotel name is incorrect on the right side--It was unmistakably the "Las Vegas Hilton"...The new property at Resorts World is also called this--perhaps now they retroactively call the former property the Hilton LV to avoid confusion? Anyway, I'm being pedantic...

The booklet is an AWESOME idea, and would have been my true prize from the swag box if it had more info. I'd have loved to have known where I spent the most nights, maybe how many were in the US versus abroad, which brands I frequented the most, etc. But if anyone is curious, my pure guesses at some of these would be: Probably 300-400 of those nights were in China/Hong Kong, and therefore ~1/2 or more of my 1,000 were abroad. I'd bet (see what I did there?) Vegas was my most frequent city visited--the old LV Hilton (now Westgate) was probably my most visited in terms of nights...In the late 90's through the time it unbranded, I'd stay there for 6-8 nights/year X 3 times--as my company exhibits at several trade shows there throughout the year. Therefore, I'd guess my most frequent brand is Hilton Hotels itself--the LV Hilton, Hilton Guangzhou (Tianhe and Baiyun) and a smattering of others around the world, with Doubletree coming in second and probably Hampton 3rd.

Headphones, not sure if I'm going to open them or give them away. I like my $30 earbuds I'm currently rocking well enough. That's a leather-like b(r)ag tag that says "Lifetime Diamond" on the side you see, and simply "Hilton Honors" on the obverse. The LTD card is a thick black metal and is rather minimalist...Do I now carry this around and whip it out like a DYKWIA jackass at every Hampton Inn I check into?!?!?!?!? (Sarcasm) .

Final thought...I'm a part of the HH focus group "I Can Make It Better". Around the end of 2021 or so, I got a survey about LTD and what gift I'd prefer (I do not believe this was customized for me, it read like a general survey that went to all participants). They asked if I preferred something like 200,000 points or 2 universal free night certs, or a 'gift like Bose headphones or Tumi luggage' (something like that, specifics escape me 4 months later). Anyway, was surely hoping for the points or the global night certs...But I can't complain either way. Marriott didn't send me anything when I hit LT Plat back in fall 2021. Thanks for the great effort, Hilton Honors!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by escape4
Has anybody noticed better upgrades as LTD than as Diamond?
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
None. Actually, I'm not sure I've been upgraded-by-status once since hitting LTD
Unless I hear contradicting reports, I will continue to de-prioritize Hilton in favor of other chains for the moment. Diamond status is already less valuable in terms of upgrades than Hyatt or Marriott at the top, if LTD is not any better than regular Diamond then there is no point making efforts to reach LTD sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Anybody in the US who wants to be "lifetime Diamond" already has the credit card. There really is no point being loyal for 10+ years and 1,000 nights to be in roughly the same situation as somebody spending $450 a year on a credit card (and getting more value than that in credits, free nights. etc...)
I was hopeful starting in November 2021 that the new upgrade system would give more value to LTD over the overly numerous Diamonds. I does not look like it's off to a good start however.
craigthemif and WVmike like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.