Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's a drop down in OnQ for Lifetime Diamond. I've seen invoices that have Lifetime Diamond on them.
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yep..this is why declarative statements such as “no way in their system” are not accurate or helpful.
I'm not familiar with the OnQ system and was only relaying (admittedly second-hand) what I had been told by a few desk jockeys. Perhaps the more definitive, declarative statement should go something more like this: "There's no way in their simple-minded, lazy heads for them to read the Guest Dossier pop up or execute the drop down list in OnQ, read what it says and then relate that to the customer standing in front of them." Because, ultimately, the agent is part of the system.

It's just easier to say "Thank you for being a Diamond member" than it is to say "Thank you for being a LIFETIME Diamond member." One extra two syllable word is just so difficult to articulate. I understand.

Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
He's partially correct. On the arrivals screen in OnQ there is nothing there that denotes Diamond from Lifetime Diamond. To see that the agent would have to read the Guest Dossier pop up (most will just automatically suppress this before reading it) during the check in process or print/read the Best Guest Report.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Apr 24, 2022 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I'm not familiar with the OnQ system and was only relaying (admittedly second-hand) what I had been told by a few desk jockeys. Perhaps the more definitive, declarative statement should go something more like this: "There's no way in their simple-minded, lazy heads for them to read the Guest Dossier pop up or execute the drop down list in OnQ, read what it says and then relate that to the customer standing in front of them." Because, ultimately, the agent is part of the system.

It's just easier to say "Thank you for being a Diamond member" than it is to say "Thank you for being a LIFETIME Diamond member." One extra two syllable word is just so difficult to articulate. I understand.
Wow. Just wow. It now seems clear why you may not be receiving the check-in recognition you seek. Maybe think about the staffing and other issues faced by FD staff over the past couple of years before making assumptions about laziness and simple minds.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Wow. Just wow. It now seems clear why you may not be receiving the check-in recognition you seek. Maybe think about the staffing and other issues faced by FD staff over the past couple of years before making assumptions about laziness and simple minds.
That check in recognition is really just lip service, and in the big picture means nothing. I've met many a very competent, courteous, professional desk agent and I realize that theirs is a tough and often thankless job. I'm always courteous to them.

My point was, in my experience, given human nature, regardless if the agent is aware of the LT distinction or not, it's just easier not to make the distinction. Yes, those were condescending things to say, and I apologize to all the desk agents everywhere to whom those titles don't apply.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Let's get the thread back on track.

General discussions of OnQ need to go elsewhere.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
KenTarmac and 808traveler like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 24, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Re: the lack of property level recognition for lifetime diamond I think the underlying question is "is Lifetime Diamond a separate tier or is it "just" Diamond wit no expiration date?" Heretofore I've always thought of it as the latter so I haven't really expected anything different than the (admittedly mediocre) DIA benefits

Originally Posted by hugolover
There's a drop down in OnQ for Lifetime Diamond. I've seen invoices that have Lifetime Diamond on them.
I know at least years ago there were separate flavors of OnQ for full-service vs. limited/focused service brands; so some variation wouldn't surprise me. Out of curiosity do you remember what country(ies)/band(s)? It's gotten exceedingly rare for the front desk to note even "just" Diamond status, and I don't think anyone has ever said "Lifetime" out loud. Since I don't usually look at the top part of my folios (the guest info section) your comment made me go back and check all of the ones I have in email for the last 12 moths -- all of mine just note <HH #> DIAMOND on the "HH#" line -- this is across Hampton, HGI, Hilton, Embassy, Tru, Homewood in the US and a Hilton in Switzerland.

I'd prefer actions over trite, mechanical recognition but it would still be interesting to know why LTD seems to show up for some people sometimes
SPN Lifer and KenTarmac like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:13 am

I scrolled through old posts but didn't see this asked so hopefully someone can help me. If I have rollover nights, do those count once or twice for lifetime status?

For example, right now if my account says I stayed 40 nights in 2021 rolled over into 2022, and 60 nights in 2022 for a total of 100 nights...did 2022 accrued 60 or 100 nights toward lifetime status?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Schnit
I scrolled through old posts but didn't see this asked so hopefully someone can help me. If I have rollover nights, do those count once or twice for lifetime status?

For example, right now if my account says I stayed 40 nights in 2021 rolled over into 2022, and 60 nights in 2022 for a total of 100 nights...did 2022 accrued 60 or 100 nights toward lifetime status?
Hi Schnit,

I would love that count as 2 but I imagine that it will be only 1
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
My first stay, last week, after making LD, I was upgraded at Hilton BOS airport, to a 10th floor "Premium" room. Nice room, lots of great views in all directions from the higher floors...you can't go wrong as far as I can tell which side of the building you take...the views are great! Ate at the restaurant, which was pretty reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant, although service was a little slow, but we ate mid afternoon, when they were probably between lunch and dinner staffing.

I got an e mail telling me I would be upgraded, and after I did OLCI via the app, I got a message in the app describing the 10th floor rooms in nice, but true, glamorous terms, the F&B credit and other standard stuff. But in this message was also the announced that as a LD, I could check in early for free. This caught my eye, as we could be arriving at the hotel as early as 9:30am (actually arrived around 11:30). However, the front desk person didn't get the memo, was very rude, and insistent on charging the $25. She wouldn't even consider the info I presented, and I couldn't immediately pull up the communication from Hilton. Fortunately, I accidently ran into the Duty Manager later in the day, and she fixed the issue immediately.

Is free early check in, (where there is normally a charge) a LD benefit?

I
Xyzzy, lsquare and lgormley like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by more4less
Hi Schnit,

I would love that count as 2 but I imagine that it will be only 1
I imagine so as well, but when Marriott carried over nights in 2021 it counted, so hard to know for sure. It is extremely annoying that Hilton does not let you see it.

Marriott makes it extremely obvious on the app, which probably motivates people to achieve it. I guess Hilton doesn't want to encourage it?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
LD benefits are property-specific IME.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver

I contacted HH a few months ago about exactly this question. Sadly, the answer is that rollover nights do not count towards the 1000 night lifetime threshold.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I contacted HH a few months ago about exactly this question. Sadly, the answer is that rollover nights do not count towards the 1000 night lifetime threshold.
LTD status has always been based on "head in bed" nights.

So, if you stayed 100 nights and rolled over 40 to start the next year and stayed 60 more nights, you'd get credit for the 160 head-in-bed nights, not 200 (head-in-bed plus rollover).
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:13 pm

Thats a shame. Hilton makes it pretty hard to achieve (which I know is the point). Marriott qualifications are much lower to begin with, and they count credit card and promo nights toward it. Hyatt is just impossible
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueZebra

I
Fwiw, there is no such thing as a free early check in for anyone just like there is no such thing as an additional tier of LD benefits. If a property plays ball with you, consider yourself fortunate but they are under no obligation to check you in early or to waive whatever early check inn fee they choose to impose.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Thats a shame. Hilton makes it pretty hard to achieve (which I know is the point). Marriott qualifications are much lower to begin with, and they count credit card and promo nights toward it. Hyatt is just impossible
For last year and this year, bonus points from Hilton co-branded AMEX cards have counted towards base points. For us road warriors, we'd never make LTD on base points with the plan as it was originally designed. The added benefit of the AMEX points counting as base points has shaved 2 years off my quest for LTD status.

I don't like how Hilton counts the "10 years" as Diamond. I earned Diamond for the first time in November of 2013. However, Hilton considers earnings captured in 2013 to be for the 2014 membership year, so I don't get to count 2013 as one of my 10 years as Diamond. First world problems, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.