Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hilton Honors Bonus Points earned from purchases on Hilton Honors American Express Cards will count as Base Points toward elite status qualification until the end of 2022.
The _Banking_Scot and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see this thread with information and links to Hilton Amex spend points counting for elite status (including lifetime status):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...-10-years.html
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't think it's "most" people. I would guess that international business travelers are more likely to make it by points (because they're more likely to stay often at more expensive properties), while people who don't stay on business but amassed tons of Hilton points from credit card churning (way easier to do back in the Citi Hilton credit card days than it is now) and have done many of their stays as award stays, as well as budget-oriented people (including people who only travel locally on business and whose expense allowances are fairly low), are much more likely to make it on nights if they make it at all.

So it depends on how much you stay at expensive properties, which some people often do while some other people rarely do, which will be the main determinant.
Well, a huge chunk of my stays and nights was for business and stayed at lower end and middle tier properties. Company wouldn't pay for high end. Saved those for vacations with the points. I earned lifetime via nights and not points.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:42 am

How to see Lifetime diamond progress

I searched but I cannot find it on my Hilton account page, and I searched here. How can I see my progress towards lifetime? I have been diamond for 10 years, so I must be close.
Sorry if this has already been answered, I could not find it.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

You have to contact Hilton Honors.
Progress isn't available on the website.
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sending a message via Twitter gets the fastest response.
smmrfld likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I just look at my profile on Hilton.com .

It is shameful that this is such an awkward process. I will say their records were accurate except for some multiple numbers that i merged 20 years ago, I lost that history.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:24 am

I spent an hour on chat from the Hilton Website. I wish the transcript could have been saved, it was quite comical, but more frustrating than anything. First I ask I need to know my progress towards lifetime diamond. After a let me research for you type response, "you wish to know what benifits are for a diamond member?, No, I try to ask it again with more detail, long delay, You have 36 nights and 26,xxx points towards lifetime. I respond, that is not correct, I have over 10 years diamond and some years over 100 nights per year. Response, I gave you your 2022 progress towards lifetime, and those points do not expire for 24 months like you asked. We are now into this chat almost 50 minutes! I copy the criteria to Lifetime from the Hilton site, and say, I need to know how many years I have been diamond, How many lifetime nights, and how many lifetime base points I have. A couple minutes later, now 57 minutes into the chat, I get my answer. 9 years Diamond, 577 nights, and 987k base points. So I am now very disappointed as it appears I will need probably another 10 years to hit lifetime, as my nights have gone down since covid and we have change the way we travel. Add the new food and beverage credit to the mix, I think I will start to move my stays away from Hilton when possible, time to explore other options as Lifetime Diamond will be out of reach for me as far as I can tell..
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Northeaster01
I spent an hour on chat from the Hilton Website. I wish the transcript could have been saved, it was quite comical, but more frustrating than anything. First I ask I need to know my progress towards lifetime diamond. After a let me research for you type response, "you wish to know what benifits are for a diamond member?, No, I try to ask it again with more detail, long delay, You have 36 nights and 26,xxx points towards lifetime. I respond, that is not correct, I have over 10 years diamond and some years over 100 nights per year. Response, I gave you your 2022 progress towards lifetime, and those points do not expire for 24 months like you asked. We are now into this chat almost 50 minutes! I copy the criteria to Lifetime from the Hilton site, and say, I need to know how many years I have been diamond, How many lifetime nights, and how many lifetime base points I have. A couple minutes later, now 57 minutes into the chat, I get my answer. 9 years Diamond, 577 nights, and 987k base points. So I am now very disappointed as it appears I will need probably another 10 years to hit lifetime, as my nights have gone down since covid and we have change the way we travel. Add the new food and beverage credit to the mix, I think I will start to move my stays away from Hilton when possible, time to explore other options as Lifetime Diamond will be out of reach for me as far as I can tell..
Bummer you are farther away from lifetime status than you expected, but could simply getting the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card be the answer given your loyalty? You get automatic Diamond status with that credit card, even though you have to pay $450 a year for the card. That is one of the cards, that can be more easily offset by the credits/benefits given they are more than the cost of the card ($250 Hilton credit, $250 airline credit, free weekend night once a year, Priority Pass if you don't have it with another card). Even if you don't find value in spending on the card, seems like a no brainer for someone like yourself. Kind of crazy that Hilton gives Diamond status to someone like yourself who has stayed 577 nights and someone who just gets a credit card, undistinguishable between an 'real loyal spend time on a mattress' type of member and someone who may never spend a dollar or night on their properties! Credit card holder = defacto lifetime member (obviously until they change the program rules). Food for thought!
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Northeaster01
I would never recommend using HH chat for any issue. Twitter DM is easily the best option. HH chat has been consistently useless IME.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:41 am
qed

Programs: American LTG, Bonvoy G, Hilton LTD
If I remember correctly, Hilton Diamond was created in the 80's as an invitation-only level in Honors above Gold. There were no published qualification levels for Diamond, Hilton contacted you if you traveled enough. Fast forward to today and all it takes is a credit card and you qualify. When Diamond for a credit card started, I was sure that Hilton was planning to create a new higher level, to maintain a way to reward truly loyal customers, but that never happened. In some ways, Lifetime Diamond now plays the role of the level above Diamond. Higher-end Hilton properties that cater to US-based travelers are swamped with Diamond guests, so in order to get a better room or a late check-out, it does help to be LTD.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by qed
If I remember correctly, Hilton Diamond was created in the 80's as an invitation-only level in Honors above Gold. There were no published qualification levels for Diamond, Hilton contacted you if you traveled enough. Fast forward to today and all it takes is a credit card and you qualify. When Diamond for a credit card started, I was sure that Hilton was planning to create a new higher level, to maintain a way to reward truly loyal customers, but that never happened. In some ways, Lifetime Diamond now plays the role of the level above Diamond. Higher-end Hilton properties that cater to US-based travelers are swamped with Diamond guests, so in order to get a better room or a late check-out, it does help to be LTD.
Agree...I consistently find great advantages to being LTD. Same with a high points balance, though I recognize that shouldn't be a factor.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, Delta
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Agree...I consistently find great advantages to being LTD. Same with a high points balance, though I recognize that shouldn't be a factor.
I have been Lifetime Diamond for about a year and a half and I have never had that status acknowledged when checking into a property. Have you upgrades or other comps based specifically on LTD status?
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BBQMonster
Have you upgrades or other comps based specifically on LTD status?
Numerous times.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:30 pm
qed

Programs: American LTG, Bonvoy G, Hilton LTD

Regarding acknowledgment of LTD status, pictured above is a small box of chocolates from earlier this year. The desk person that gave me the chocolates then asked if I wanted to look at the available rooms so that I could pick what I wanted. And this was a points stay at a crowded beach hotel where other diamonds have reported less generous treatment. Just the fact that some Hiltons now have small LTD welcome gifts is interesting. Other posts have mentioned that airline-like pre-arrival upgrades are starting to happen on the Hilton app and one might expect LTD status to be part of the prioritization. I do admit that probably 8 times out of 10 I get no recognition of my status but every once and a while it is useful.
SPN Lifer, lsquare, DELee and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.