Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Agree with first two responses. Based on a ten year chart of the three programs, Hilton has taken sharpest decline and is still trending downward. Hyatt is only program that might be trending upwards in value.
I wouldn't bet anything on the future. Use Aspire for as long as it works for you and skip it as your go to card.
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Keep in mind that you will need a minimum of 10 years as a Diamond for either avenue. Personally, I would just requalify for Diamond annually (via Aspire Amex or 30 stays/60 nights each year). I really don't think there is any tangible benefit to being a Diamond via the Lifetime route versus doing it the normal way each year. In other words, I would not waste any money on unnecessary stays just to achieve Lifetime Diamond any faster (unless I was only a very small number of nights away from qualifying).
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I really really hate relying on credit cards. But hold onto that Aspire card indefinitely and you are "lifetime" Diamond already. I don't think earning 3 points per $ spent - at BEST 1.5%, but closer to 1.2% IMO - is worth actually putting much non-Hilton spend through it - there are far better alternatives...

And FWIW Hyatt Globalist is much better than anything Marriott or Hilton have to offer.
Originally Posted by hedoman
Agree with first two responses. Based on a ten year chart of the three programs, Hilton has taken sharpest decline and is still trending downward. Hyatt is only program that might be trending upwards in value.
I wouldn't bet anything on the future. Use Aspire for as long as it works for you and skip it as your go to card.

I completely agree with all 3 of you guys and Im going to change paths. I'm going to push everything to Hyatt and just keep Aspire, it makes sense. Thanks
san888 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
There is no credit card that would give a HHonors Lifetime Diamond status. You do have a HHonors Lifetime Diamond when it is written in your HHonors account. Period.
Achieving HHonors Lifetime Diamond is much cheaper than Hyatt Lifetime Globalist. I would share the stays between Hilton and Hyatt putting preference to Hilton Lifetime Diamond qualification after 12-13 years. Then you have at least something for lifetime and not depending the credit card existence.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hilton:
Lifetime Diamond: 10 years as Diamond, 1000 nights or 2MM base points @ 10x base points/$ rate spent = $200K total spend

Hyatt:
Lifetime Globalist: No specific year requirement, 1MM base points = $200K total spend @ 5x base points/$ rate/food/spa spent

Not sure how these differ in terms of "cheaper".

David
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Back to the question of 2 million base points, or 1000 nights, which is easier-

2 million base points is a base spend of $200,000. So if you spend $200 per night (exclusive of taxes and service charges), then they are equally "easy".
If you spend less per night, then the nights are easier; if you spend more, then the base points is easier.

This is a generalization. Sometimes there are promotions, as at present, that allow you to earn base points without staying.
On the other hand, you can earn nights on free stays; and there may be promotions for "double nights".

But your credit card may not exist in several years, or it may be changed to not provide Diamond status. So don't assume that you can be "diamond for life" by spending $450 per year for an Aspire card.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbeckett
But your credit card may not exist in several years, or it may be changed to not provide Diamond status. So don't assume that you can be "diamond for life" by spending $450 per year for an Aspire card.
Agree, but as one who'd been an early adopter of the Surpass card and now carrying the Aspire card, the cards don't hurt on making it to Diamond status on a yearly basis.

And, whether folks like it or not, both Hilton and AMEX are liking more people who spend on the cards.

And, to the original question, if you are more of a Hampton/HGI/Tru Hilton Diamond, then lifetime total nights are the way to go.

David
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by DELee
Hilton:
Lifetime Diamond: 10 years as Diamond, 1000 nights or 2MM base points @ 10x base points/$ rate spent = $200K total spend
Hyatt:
Lifetime Globalist: No specific year requirement, 1MM base points = $200K total spend @ 5x base points/$ rate/food/spa spent

David
When you spend 1000 nights in Hilton chain paying at least $200 per night, then yes. Mostly that happens on company budget. For own pocket payers, there are enough points bonuses(100% Diamond bonus) and promos, award 5th night free redemptions etc. I do agree that in US even lower Hilton brand hotels(Hampton, Garden Inn) are overpriced/overrated. Using points would reduce mid-price significally.
World of Hyatt does not have good points earning/spending value compairing with HHonors. World of Hyatt is more exclusivity hospitality program than HHonors with much smaller footprint.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by DELee
Hilton:

Hyatt:

David
In theory you could achieve Hilton lifetime without paying for a single night as award redemptions count.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Back to the question of 2 million base points, or 1000 nights, which is easier-

2 million base points is a base spend of $200,000. So if you spend $200 per night (exclusive of taxes and service charges), then they are equally "easy".
If you spend less per night, then the nights are easier; if you spend more, then the base points is easier.

This is a generalization. Sometimes there are promotions, as at present, that allow you to earn base points without staying.
On the other hand, you can earn nights on free stays; and there may be promotions for "double nights".

I dont need the aspire to last me for the next 40+ years, just 10 but i'll keep it till Amex decides to close it. TBH even if they killed the aspire next year im 1000% satisfied. Im appreciative to even be able to take advantage of Hilton's generous status and benefits from 1 credit card, I know some of us in other countries dont even get that chance. The nights will come, either through pay or by points. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
We're almost halfway to 2022. Any update on this?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Just notified I earned Lifetime Diamond, I knew it was close but wasn't tracking it closely enough.
Wonder if the 2021 gift will be different? Will post when I receive it.
indufan and lsquare like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Just notified I earned Lifetime Diamond, I knew it was close but wasn't tracking it closely enough.
Wonder if the 2021 gift will be different? Will post when I receive it.
I am picking my gift tomorrow at the post office. Have been gone for two months, so it is just one thing among a bunch of other mail.

Update: no gift in my 2 months of mail
Will be able to check again in a month.

Update: Bose ear buds and an aluminum (?) lifetime diamond ID card.
SFO 1K likes this.

Last edited by dlaue; Jul 22, 2021 at 8:31 am
Old May 13, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver

Last edited by Truffles; May 13, 2021 at 6:29 am Reason: deleted -
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:55 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
While I do have LT Diamond in my profile, I did that earlier this year because with my travel plans for 2020 and the fact I still haven’t used my “free year of Diamond’, it was a matter of time...A foregone conclusion with 984 lifetime nights!

Now I’m feeling like I jinxed myself. Based on my outlook for the year before the apocalypse, today would have been the day I’d have hit 1,000 nights. But since March, I’ve been 16 nights away for what seems like an eternity...And doubt I’ll have even 3 more nights this year.

But now I figure I’ve got at least 3 years before I’d “naturally” lose Diamond, and 3 years to get 16 nights. Maybe I’ll plan on hitting it at a time down the road when the LT Diamond gift improves? 😀
Well, I guess in the last ~year, I've only spent 11 nights at Hilton properties! ...And I don't have a ton planned for the remainder of 2021.

5 nights from LT Diamond now. I have 6 more nights this year where I can select the property...I've already locked up Marriott Titanium to go along with my LT Plat, and with no other program would 5 nights make a difference. Basically, the 6 nights are in the same city, 2 nights at a time X 3 more trips, and all other things are basically equal--it's a Homewood vs. a Residence Inn. Basically the same price, although I'd earn a lot more points with the Homewood (Bonvoy only gives 5 pts/$ at RIs, and has no worthwhile promotions right now).

I wouldn't mind 'rolling the dice' and seeing what a 2022 LT Diamond qualifying gift might be, hoping it's something different--I wouldn't be a big fan of the Bose earbuds, as I have headphones that I already love. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't defer at least 4 of those 5 remaining nights to 2022? (HH is now frequently mentioning LT Diamond on my HH page, so I doubt the whole program is going anywhere, anytime soon and don't expect a 'moving of the goalposts').

Any insight from y'all experts will be appreciated and remembered!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Well, I guess in the last ~year, I've only spent 11 nights at Hilton properties! ...And I don't have a ton planned for the remainder of 2021.

5 nights from LT Diamond now. I have 6 more nights this year where I can select the property...I've already locked up Marriott Titanium to go along with my LT Plat, and with no other program would 5 nights make a difference. Basically, the 6 nights are in the same city, 2 nights at a time X 3 more trips, and all other things are basically equal--it's a Homewood vs. a Residence Inn. Basically the same price, although I'd earn a lot more points with the Homewood (Bonvoy only gives 5 pts/$ at RIs, and has no worthwhile promotions right now).

I wouldn't mind 'rolling the dice' and seeing what a 2022 LT Diamond qualifying gift might be, hoping it's something different--I wouldn't be a big fan of the Bose earbuds, as I have headphones that I already love. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't defer at least 4 of those 5 remaining nights to 2022? (HH is now frequently mentioning LT Diamond on my HH page, so I doubt the whole program is going anywhere, anytime soon and don't expect a 'moving of the goalposts').

Any insight from y'all experts will be appreciated and remembered!
Stay 4 nights and be one away whenever you want to click over to 1,000 nights.

Go after Hyatt Globalist?

David
MBS MillionMiler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.