Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ncgator
Thank you for the link. Now if she only included who these people are she reached out to it mght help. evidently the Supervisor when i called was not in her loop. When HH sends me a new certificate showing it valid for cat 1-10 and tells me the certificate I have now is invalid I will believe it.

Thank you NJupintheair for the link though.
Are you saying you tried to use your cert to book and were told you could not do so for a property going up? Or were you calling to ask in the abstract? If the latter, expecting a supervisor to know at this point is expecting too much. I am at a loss to know what mommypoint's contact would do for you right now. If 3/28 comes and you are denied the chance to book, I would message mommypoints to get to the bottom of it.

At this point, the question is solely academic to all except those considering whether to apply for the card.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
I just booked a AXON award at the Bentley, Miami Beach in mid April for 145,000 points. When the new changes go thru on the 28th of March am I correct in thinking that in April it would cost me 80,000x4 nights for a total of 320,000 points with a 5th night free but what if I don't want to stay for a 5th day?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
Are you saying you tried to use your cert to book and were told you could not do so for a property going up? Or were you calling to ask in the abstract? If the latter, expecting a supervisor to know at this point is expecting too much. I am at a loss to know what mommypoint's contact would do for you right now. If 3/28 comes and you are denied the chance to book, I would message mommypoints to get to the bottom of it.

At this point, the question is solely academic to all except those considering whether to apply for the card.
I disagree that it is solely academic because come 3/28 if the certificate does not allow properties cat 8 or higher and I wish to stay at one of those this year then I need to try and figure out exactly when I am going. If however, the certificate will be changed and allow cat 8 or so then I can book my trip after 3/28 when i know more information about my schedule.

Why is it asking too much for a corporation that has put the effort into determining which properties are going up and which down to not have a plan for this benefit?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I thought the reimbursement rate was on a sliding scale. It started out low, and as the hotel filled up, the reimbursement approached rack rate or some maximum. It actually rewarded hotels that were full or nearly so.

If it is one flat low rate, the properties that opted out would be those that had less of a chance of filling.
I think some of the blogs have posted about these and said it is two rates. One if the hotel has empty rooms and one if it doesn't.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I just booked a AXON award at the Bentley, Miami Beach in mid April for 145,000 points. When the new changes go thru on the 28th of March am I correct in thinking that in April it would cost me 80,000x4 nights for a total of 320,000 points with a 5th night free but what if I don't want to stay for a 5th day?
I used to do an axon reward every year at the Bentley. Was also a great place for QF3N's when they had that promo. It's bad enough the Bentley reduced their benefits they provided to diamonds significantly and now to have to pay better than double the points for a four night stay really sucks.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ncgator
I disagree that it is solely academic because come 3/28 if the certificate does not allow properties cat 8 or higher and I wish to stay at one of those this year then I need to try and figure out exactly when I am going. If however, the certificate will be changed and allow cat 8 or so then I can book my trip after 3/28 when i know more information about my schedule.

Why is it asking too much for a corporation that has put the effort into determining which properties are going up and which down to not have a plan for this benefit?
I would believe mommypoints has a much better source than a call center supervisor. My money is on her.

Yes, it's a bit annoying, but seems like an easy fix. You have more than a month to figure it out and in the meantime there might be clarity. Worst case, you book something on 3/27 and then see what's what when the dust settles and cancel if you can use for a cat 8-10.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:44 pm

Can anyone direct me to a chart which shows the present and proposed categories for each hotel?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I used to do an axon reward every year at the Bentley. Was also a great place for QF3N's when they had that promo. It's bad enough the Bentley reduced their benefits they provided to diamonds significantly and now to have to pay better than double the points for a four night stay really sucks.
I read on one of the Bentley threads that they got rid of the n/c full breakfast and the beach umbrealla and chairs for diamonds? Those would have been some great perks for a hotel to offer especially on SB and especially if you have kids staying at this place. Too bad revenue is taking such a bite out of diamond benefits.

I am not familar with the acronym QF3N. Could someone explain?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Meanwhile, time's a tickin' away on the supposed "unveiling" of the replacement to the soon to be departed AXON award.

Wonder when the folks at HHonors will know about this issue, let alone the category changes and how they affect the Reserve Visa certs.

Mommypoints' blog seemed to be quite specific as to the issue and the upcoming remedy for same that my money is on her that she is correct, nevertheless, it is unsettling the answer that NGator received from a supervisor, no less!

Prior to the devaluation, I had booked an AXON for an upcoming trip to London this summer and then was bummed when Marriott released their devalution. Now, I find I did the right thing with the Hilton booking but was faced with which credit card to go with. I chose the Surpass upgrade as the easier to do and although the 50,000 points have been devalued,
I chose this route simply because I did not have the time in the upcoming year to effectively fully utilize the 2 free nights from the Reserve Visa, hence I decided to hold off until such later date that I could use them.

For me, it will be settled as to what verbiage wil be on the cert and its use, but I certainly see the cause for concern and confusion at present -- it really does stink that a rewards program makes these pronouncements and leaves gaping holes for its members to try to divine what the future holds.

Wasn't there a company representative on this board who one could send a question to and perhaps gain a response to be posted within this forum??
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by metoo
Can anyone direct me to a chart which shows the present and proposed categories for each hotel?
Simple. There are none provided.

Either you have to provide some sweat equity yourself or find someone who will do it for you.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I don't think both the old and new redemption rates are compared anywhere, but here is the new list:

http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com/
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by metoo
Link to the new categories are in the first page of this thread.

You will have to check with the current categories and check each one individually. However, it's obvious when the new category is 8 ovr above that's it's gone up.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I read on one of the Bentley threads that they got rid of the n/c full breakfast and the beach umbrealla and chairs for diamonds? Those would have been some great perks for a hotel to offer especially on SB and especially if you have kids staying at this place. Too bad revenue is taking such a bite out of diamond benefits.

I am not familar with the acronym QF3N. Could someone explain?
Sorry that should have been q3fn not q3fn. Hilton use to run promos where if you stayed ten nights or 4 stays in a quarter you received a free nights certificate. They ran that promo a couple quarters in 2010 and 2011 and in 2010 in Q4 they ran it as a promo for just diamonds as some type of retention promo.

The Bentley used to offer two full buffet breakfasts for diamonds every morning and also 2 free beach chairs and an umbrella every day at the beach. They were still offering those benefits last march, but when I stayed there in November they were no longer giving free chairs and umbrellas and there was an upcharge of around $10 for the full breakfast They used to have a free mojito and appetizer happy hour at the bar on Fridays for all guests and they no longer have that.

The hotel was sold out when I was there in NOvember so no shot at an upgrade. The only benefit I received as a diamond over a gold was the free bottle of red wine, and I really don't like red wine and carried on that trip so I couldn't take it back with me on the plane. The property is still a great property, but IMO not worth paying 85,000 points a night, but was a great deal for a 145K axon for four nights or using Q3FN certificates.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Meanwhile, time's a tickin' away on the supposed "unveiling" of the replacement to the soon to be departed AXON award.
Well, the nonspecific report we got did say before the end of the month, which seems reasonable to me. We shall see.

The one thing I'd applaud Hilton for in this whole mess is the advance notice. Marriott gave two and a half weeks. Starwood gave less than 2 weeks. It looks as though Hilton didn't have all the ducks in a row yet, like with the citi or Amex relationships. But with a 3/28 change over, they have time. They got us the most important info with a chance to actually do something about it.

Now, I'm not saying all this is ok. Letting people build up points for months or years toward certain rewards and then giving such short notice before gutting it completely is repulsive. But, anyway, I'd rather Hilton gave us nearly six weeks instead of doing it with two weeks and having the citi and amex pieces in place.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
Well, the nonspecific report we got did say before the end of the month, which seems reasonable to me. We shall see.

The one thing I'd applaud Hilton for in this whole mess is the advance notice. Marriott gave two and a half weeks. Starwood gave less than 2 weeks. It looks as though Hilton didn't have all the ducks in a row yet, like with the citi or Amex relationships. But with a 3/28 change over, they have time. They got us the most important info with a chance to actually do something about it.

Now, I'm not saying all this is ok. Letting people build up points for months or years toward certain rewards and then giving such short notice before gutting it completely is repulsive. But, anyway, I'd rather Hilton gave us nearly six weeks instead of doing it with two weeks and having the citi and amex pieces in place.

Marriott gave 2 1/2 months -- One has until May 15, 2013 to book the old rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.