Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:01 am
Suspended

What's really stupid is that they have alienated their active revenue source to fix a problem -- credit card churners and VR abusers -- that could be easily fixed by limiting the number of times one obtains bonus points one receives when filing a credit card application for the AMEX/Citi HHonors product, and do as the Chase Marriott does and limit the bonus points to a one time thing.

Instead, those who actually stay in their hotels are bearing the brunt of this devaluation equally with those who caused it in the first place.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
I complained strongly and got a cookie cutter response that was verging on the insulting given it's blandness. When you make your top tier members actively dislike your company and employees it is a disaster, and that is where I am right now. I am raging I have so many prepaid bookings I will end up spending 7k over the next 6 weeks.
At least you got a response......me nothing yet. 70 stays a year and then they steal my points......Hilton is run by a bunch of amateur idiots!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Ditto, no reply yet to my email. Also still never had the original email notifying me of the change!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 am

I still think that Hilton is the best value for people like me who get their gold status through their credit card. For people like me who use their gold status maybe a few times a year on leisure travel and don't really ever travel for business I can't imagine why any other chain would be better. If I would leave Hilton I'd probably just switch to a completely different reward program like Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards or something. None of the other hotel programs are in any way worth it to me.

For those who travel on business a lot, then yeah I get it.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 am
Pup

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Well it's showing on the reward search tool (http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com/S...m&b=&hn=&m=feb) as well as in the PDF so looks like it may yet be true. Great value if so!
I thought the Richmond VA Airport Doubletree was too good to be true also, going from 30,000 points to 5,000. Earlier I posted that it was still showing as 30,000 in the new search engine. But it's actually 5,000 now in the search engine too (you need to search for Sandston VA, not Richmond VA).

Guess I'm not booking my Richmond hotel until after March 28. ^
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Thumbs down

I just confirmed with the diamond desk and the AXON program will be discontinued after the devaluation along with the VIP program
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
I just confirmed with the diamond desk and the AXON program will be discontinued after the devaluation along with the VIP program
Terrible! Do you have that in writing btw?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
word.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I have 68K HH points & am aiming for 125K for an 4-night AXON or 160K for a 5-nighter at Hilton Munich City during Oktoberfest. Surprisingly, award rooms are available for all nights except Fridays ! In the new ratings, it will be 70K a night during September high season (hmm...) vs. 50K other times. One of my traveling companions has used his last 40K to book 2 nights C&P @ (20K + 57 Euros per night) in Amsterdam.
It so happens that I last stayed at a HHonors hotel in 2010. So when I have scored Munich, I shall cancel my Amex & yell good-bye!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Seabilly
Got this email today

Dear Valued Guest,

For more than 25 years, Hilton HHonors™ has strived to deliver a world-class guest loyalty program to our 34 million members. Our members have more reward options, like Premium Room Rewards, Premium Upgrade Rewards and Points & Money Rewards™ and on-property benefits than ever before.

As HHonors continues to evolve, there are changes we would like to share with you. Please take a moment to learn about these important changes to the Hilton HHonors guest loyalty program, including changes to our Standard Room Reward categories and the introduction of seasonal hotel reward pricing.

Following the link provided you get

Since the Hilton HHonors™ program began more than 25 years ago, there are more opportunities for members to earn and redeem points than ever before. Now members can redeem points for any room, any time, anywhere at more than 3,900 hotels and resorts worldwide. Plus, members can get to reward stays faster with Points & Money Rewards™. To ensure that we continue to be a world-class guest loyalty program, changes to our program need to be made from time to time. As of March 28, 2013 the following changes will go into effect.

Reward Categories – We will be expanding to ten hotel reward categories to account for all of the new hotels and resorts that have opened in the past few years. With 3,900 hotels and resorts in 90 countries you are sure to find the perfect place for your next reward stay.
Seasonal Hotel Reward Pricing – For most of our hotels and resorts, we will introduce seasonal pricing for reward stays. The amount of points needed for a Standard Room Reward and a Points & Money Reward will vary during certain times of the year.
5th Night Free – Now members with Silver, Gold or Diamond elite status will get a free night* when they book a Standard Room Reward stay of five or more consecutive nights.

According to the FAQ,

When do the new changes become effective? What happens if I want to book a reward stay before they are effective? Can I make modifications to existing reservations after they become effective?

The new changes will become effective as of 12:01AM CST on Mar 28, 2013. Until this time, you can redeem Points for rewards stays at the current prices. You can book online, call +1-800-HHONORS (+1-800-446-6677, toll-free in the United States) or contact your local Hilton Reservations and Customer Care center. After this date, you can continue to make modifications; however, all standard room redemptions will follow the new standard room chart. Therefore, if the number of points changes from what was originally booked, up or down, the new point values will apply.
Well I had 175 paid nights last year at Hilton properties. Anyone guess how many paid nights I'll have this year? Anyone...anyone? This is ridiculous. Clubcarlson is looking better and better especially if you have there credit card and can get two for one reward stays. Too bad they done have a lot of properties.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I am sure after March 28th.. all the Category 10 properties should see a big drop in the number of visitors..
No, after March 28, 2014 they will.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
No, after March 28, 2014 they will.
Unfortunately not all of us are able to book as far as out 2014; either because our travel dates are not set or we're short of points to book the AXON right now. I agree with the PP that the number of visitors will drop after next month.

However that will only mean less people redeeming points, may even increase the number of people paying cash, so I'm not sure that the properties will care.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Emailed Nassetta and Diskin yesterday, got a stock email response today from someone in "corporate escalations", but it was a real live person with a Linkedin profile, so theoretically that means someone is reading complaints...

I just keep telling myself "they can't be this stupid..."
I believe you will have far greater effect if you email the managers at your favorite / most-frequented Hilton properties and tell them you are likely taking your business elsewhere. Remind them that rising room prices and shrinking loyalty benefits mean you're going to shop more by price and convenience than by loyalty.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz:20298884
i signed up the amex hh card and started staying at hilton a few month ago.

i had just accumulated 200k points and only found that it is worth nothing.
In that case, can you book 7 nights for my family and me next June for a Disneyland area/Harbor Blvd suite? With some properties, you will have points left over. Much appreciated. You'll save me 180,000 Hhonors points or a grand-plus in cash. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
can one book new rates before 28th March?

Whilst I agree that the new rates are on the whole terrible and a massive devaluation, it has made me think how one can extract best value from the programme. Staying at 'aspirational' properties on points is now only for the very points rich. But there is good value to be had in a few gems -- but I'm concerned these may be 'mistake' rates since the points requirements are very significantly lower than before.

Is there any way to lock these in and book them now? Am looking for a stay in early April in one property, so availability so late may also be an issue.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.