Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by fogedabouddit
Looks like that's the case with all NYC hotels (all of them are going up in category). Pity since the DT Times Square was a favorite of mine for taking the family there. Will be doing bookings for the summer asap .. can always cancel if I need to a couple days before. Seems like they're equating the rewards redemption points with the cash value of the rooms.
I had to share this...I just booked that hotel, but saw this on a "premium" room which looked like all the others...

PREMIUM ROOM REWARD
All tier levels apply Premium Reward points per night Points ... Rate Details Not commissionable You will need to purchase 1,624,440 points for $47,933.20
Upgraded room for two nights for only $47,000 - what a deal!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Given the turmoil, why chance it? I'm not understanding why people are taking this risk? I must be missing something.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I have the reservation confirmation numbers for my upcoming stay, but they do not have any certificate number on them. When did you get that AXON certificate number? Given the change (turmoil) in the program now, I want to be as prepared as possible and do not want any surprises.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
In August, I'm staying 8 nights at a Hilton with the 7th night free. If HHonors has the 5th night free as a benefit, do I get 2 nights free during this stay?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by birdyy
Given the turmoil, why chance it? I'm not understanding why people are taking this risk? I must be missing something.
I guess I just don't see how they can rescind a reservation that's already booked, especially after I pay the upgrade fees. If there's a time to cancel my reservation, it would be now and they haven't done that. Also, I'm not sure why GLON would be any different. I just want to make sure others in the same boat are feeling secure about this.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Emailed Nassetta and Diskin yesterday, got a stock email response today from someone in "corporate escalations", but it was a real live person with a Linkedin profile, so theoretically that means someone is reading complaints...

I just keep telling myself "they can't be this stupid..."
Don't kid yourself they are thieves and idiots.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:32 pm
Original Member

This is not an issue of rescinding the reservation, that is secure. It's the issue of the ceritificate. IF you get one, it won't be valid. What happens IF you get one after March 28? What happens if there's a fluke and they didn't send you one but were supposed to, what if their systems are not keeping up with the amount of reservations, etc etc. Any number of oddities that might or might not happen.

I would not feel secure at all.

I guess I just don't see how they can rescind a reservation that's already booked, especially after I pay the upgrade fees. If there's a time to cancel my reservation, it would be now and they haven't done that. Also, I'm not sure why GLON would be any different. I just want to make sure others in the same boat are feeling secure about this.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I have the reservation confirmation numbers for my upcoming stay, but they do not have any certificate number on them. When did you get that AXON certificate number? Given the change (turmoil) in the program now, I want to be as prepared as possible and do not want any surprises.
Unfortunately, I deleted my AXON reservations (all used or canceled). So I can't tell you exactly where to look. But on the reservation it specifically says that it is an award reservation. I think there is a number in that section. The award reservation (AXON, GLON, standard) is imbedded with the "certificate". They are one and the same.

You have booked the award reservation and it is guaranteed for the points price (145K) that you paid as long as you make NO CHANGES to your award AFTER March 27. As long as you make no changes, you CANNOT be charged more points.
If you make ANY CHANGES March 28 or later, you will be charged an additional 235K which is the difference between the cost of the old AXON (145K) and the new award (380K).

The AXON (and any other award "certificate") and the reservation are linked. If you cancel your reservation, your AXON "certificate" is also canceled. However, unlike the standard/GLON awards, you have to call to get your AXON points reinstated even though the certificate has been voided.

The first time I cancelled an AXON, I did not know this and did not check my acct for a couple months. I was surprised at the low point balance before I figured out what happened. It annoying because if you don't call to reinstate those points, those points stay in limbo and possibly lost.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
If you cancel your reservation, your AXON "certificate" is also canceled.
As I've said now in a couple of different posts in different threads, this is just not the case. This is inaccurate information for some reservations.

Sometimes, the certs are merely virtual. Sometimes, an actual certificate is issued, and the reservation agent manually must add the cert number to the reservation. If the reservation is cancelled online, the cert does not necessarily cancel.

In addition, in those circumstances in which the cert is manually issued and attached to the reservation, there are confirmed circumstances in which the cert has expired before the reservation, because the certs expire in a year, and the hotel thus was free to dishonor the reservation. This can be problematic for the subset of hotels that (1) require manual issuance of AXON certs and (2) allow reservations out more than 1 year. Usually the hotel makes it right or the issue can be fixed by the DD. But the future is uncertain after 3/28.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread on this issue because I've said the same thing now three times, but IMO these are the people at risk:

(1) You make an AXON reservation and receive an e-mail AXON cert in addition to your reservation e-mail. I posted a few pages back what one looks like. If you don't get one, don't worry. (2) The e-mail AXON cert has an expiration date that is before your check in date on the reservation to which it is associated.

Why is this a problem? Because after March 28, you may not be able to have the cert reissued if you need it. The risk is not losing your 145,000 points. The risk is having your reservation cancel out from under you when the certificate expires and not being able to do anything about it because (e.g.) your hotel now is a category 8 or AXON awards don't exist any more.

So, for those booking out past one year on AXON awards, check your e-mail and spam for an e-mail cert and check the expiry date.

GLON is different because, as far as I am aware, unlike AXON all GLON certs are now virtual, but this NOT the case with some AXON certs for some hotels.

With that, I'll let others have the last word.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Member

Very concise and easy to follow, if you ask me. You know what they say about horses and water

Originally Posted by lkar
As I've said now in a couple of different posts in different threads, this is just not the case. This is inaccurate information for some reservations.

Sometimes, the certs are merely virtual. Sometimes, an actual certificate is issued, and the reservation agent manually must add the cert number to the reservation. If the reservation is cancelled online, the cert does not necessarily cancel.

In addition, in those circumstances in which the cert is manually issued and attached to the reservation, there are confirmed circumstances in which the cert has expired before the reservation, because the certs expire in a year, and the hotel thus was free to dishonor the reservation. This can be problematic for the subset of hotels that (1) require manual issuance of AXON certs and (2) allow reservations out more than 1 year. Usually the hotel makes it right or the issue can be fixed by the DD. But the future is uncertain after 3/28.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread on this issue because I've said the same thing now three times, but IMO these are the people at risk:

(1) You make an AXON reservation and receive an e-mail AXON cert in addition to your reservation e-mail. I posted a few pages back what one looks like. If you don't get one, don't worry. (2) The e-mail AXON cert has an expiration date that is before your check in date on the reservation to which it is associated.

Why is this a problem? Because after March 28, you may not be able to have the cert reissued if you need it. The risk is not losing your 145,000 points. The risk is having your reservation cancel out from under you when the certificate expires and not being able to do anything about it because (e.g.) your hotel now is a category 8 or AXON awards don't exist any more.

So, for those booking out past one year on AXON awards, check your e-mail and spam for an e-mail cert and check the expiry date.

GLON is different because, as far as I am aware, unlike AXON all GLON certs are now virtual, but this NOT the case with some AXON certs for some hotels.

With that, I'll let others have the last word.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Points purchases disabled?

I know that it might seem strange to purchase soon to be devaluated points but if you need some extra for redemption use before march 28 it might of course still make sense. But for some reason it seems like the point purchase on the Hilton website is unwilling to co-operate. I have two cc:s attached to my profile and they are both valid and ok. For the last few days now when I try to buy points I get this error message for both of the cards.

We're sorry we could not process your request. Your credit card was declined. Please check with your credit card company and then re-submit your request at a later date.

There is no reason for the cc purchase to be declined and I have tried a few times during the last days always getting the same response. Has anyone of you other fellow FT:ers been able to purchase points after the devaluation announcement?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cjd
Very surprised that this Doubletree in the UK is going from Cat 4 (30000 points) to the new Cat 1 (5000 points) Mistake?
Well it's showing on the reward search tool (http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com/S...m&b=&hn=&m=feb) as well as in the PDF so looks like it may yet be true. Great value if so!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by ddkrules
...There is no reason for the cc purchase to be declined and I have tried a few times during the last days always getting the same response. Has anyone of you other fellow FT:ers been able to purchase points after the devaluation announcement?
Haven't needed to purchase points, but I would say maybe try a different browser?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
STANDARD ROOM REWARDS

Just saw this as well. Ouch. Was looking at a Seychelles redemption that was 50k / night, now 95k.

Forget Skypesos, HHonors Points are more akin to Zimbabwean Dollars!
And they both have the same thing in common, pushing miles with CC so much that now they can not handle all the redemptions.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Shocking news, will be moving my stays elsewhere sadly.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: Meh
I complained strongly and got a cookie cutter response that was verging on the insulting given it's blandness. When you make your top tier members actively dislike your company and employees it is a disaster, and that is where I am right now. I am raging I have so many prepaid bookings I will end up spending 7k over the next 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.