Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Meanwhile, time's a tickin' away on the supposed "unveiling" of the replacement to the soon to be departed AXON award.

Wonder when the folks at HHonors will know about this issue, let alone the category changes and how they affect the Reserve Visa certs.

Mommypoints' blog seemed to be quite specific as to the issue and the upcoming remedy for same that my money is on her that she is correct, nevertheless, it is unsettling the answer that NGator received from a supervisor, no less!

Prior to the devaluation, I had booked an AXON for an upcoming trip to London this summer and then was bummed when Marriott released their devalution. Now, I find I did the right thing with the Hilton booking but was faced with which credit card to go with. I chose the Surpass upgrade as the easier to do and although the 50,000 points have been devalued,
I chose this route simply because I did not have the time in the upcoming year to effectively fully utilize the 2 free nights from the Reserve Visa, hence I decided to hold off until such later date that I could use them.

For me, it will be settled as to what verbiage wil be on the cert and its use, but I certainly see the cause for concern and confusion at present -- it really does stink that a rewards program makes these pronouncements and leaves gaping holes for its members to try to divine what the future holds.

Wasn't there a company representative on this board who one could send a question to and perhaps gain a response to be posted within this forum??
I would also like to know what is going on with the free nights. I had originally had them booked for the Bentley in Miami but rates came down that weekend so I just did a paid stay. I was going to use the certificates later when I wanted a weekend trip at a property where rates were really high, but if they won't be valid at all properties, I want to just book a trip in NYC this summer while they can still be used at all properties.

Hilton should grandfather in all the certificates for all properties and also allow the one year anniversary certificates that will be issued later this year to be used at any property for people who already have put $10K on their visa's.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would also like to know what is going on with the free nights. I had originally had them booked for the Bentley in Miami but rates came down that weekend so I just did a paid stay. I was going to use the certificates later when I wanted a weekend trip at a property where rates were really high, but if they won't be valid at all properties, I want to just book a trip in NYC this summer while they can still be used at all properties.

Hilton should grandfather in all the certificates for all properties and also allow the one year anniversary certificates that will be issued later this year to be used at any property for people who already have put $10K on their visa's.
I agree with the both of you in that it is a bait and switch if you sign up for a card and then have the benefit of your bargain undercut by an upvaluation of the hotels -- come to think of it, the same should obtain with the devalution of my upcoming points but that will likely go nowhere and is therefore not even giving it a second thought.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:38 pm

Marriott gave 2 1/2 months -- One has until May 15, 2013 to book the old rates.
Ahh. I thought it was March. Still, it is one part of this Hilton got ok.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Regardless, even with the latest HHonors changes, everyone should be buying VR with an HH CC hand over fist.
What is a VR?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
What is a VR?
I asked the same question and was told it's the Vanilla Reload cards. I can't believe I missed that whole thing and all those pretty points.

It's my understanding that the cards are hard to find and if you can find them you can't use a credit card to purchase them.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by birdyy
I asked the same question and was told it's the Vanilla Reload cards. I can't believe I missed that whole thing and all those pretty points.

It's my understanding that the cards are hard to find and if you can find them you can't use a credit card to purchase them.
Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdyy

Yes, and it likely killed the drug store multiplier with your AMEX card.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended

OK, as I had feared, I contacted the Diamond Desk today and asked what the replacement to the AXON cet was going to be and was informed that it was going to be the 5th night free on reward stays.

Now, this was only one individual and he may have gotten it wrong, but he was quite prompt with his response when I asked what was the replacement to the lost AXON cert. This result is what I was worried about, as it is only open to elite members -- something that is conferred to AMEX cardholders when they obtain the credit card as the lower level one does confer Silver status and it is an elite status when compared to the lowly Blue level afforded to all who sign up for the program.

We will have to see if others receive this sort of response and if it reaches a critical mass, but the future does not look bright.

I suggest you test the waters and see what response you receive from Diamond Desk personnel who ought to be better plugged into the fate of the AXON certs.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:54 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
5th night free is same as GLON... just them trying to make it seem like they aren't totally screwing us
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
5th night free is same as GLON... just them trying to make it seem like they aren't totally screwing us
I don't disagree.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:26 am

I called the DD yesterday and the CSR said that they were told that the replacement award for the AXON will be out by the end of the month. Then she went on to add.......but it is just about the end of the month.

Bobette
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended

That is why I called today and received the answer above. That is also why I encourage you to contact them and see what answer you get.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
That is why I called today and received the answer above. That is also why I encourage you to contact them and see what answer you get.
I just called the DD and was told that the AXON benefit was being replaced but they didn't have the info yet. I asked if the 5th night free was going to replace the AXON reward and she didn't think so, since anyone could take advantage of the 5th night free, so hopefully they will have a decent reduced point benefit to replace it.

I asked about the Visa certificates as well and she had no info on it. Her advice to me was that since the certificates read category 1 to 7 hotels, to ASSUME that they will only accept them for categories 1 to 7 after the grace period is over and if I want to book a hotel that will be level 8 to 10 to book it before March 28 with the certificates I really hope her assumption on this is wrong, but it probably was right on
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:24 am

I actually called Amex for another reason and, while i had them on the phone, i asked about the AXON. They did a three way call with Hilton. I'm not calling again. It will be what it will be and I shall wait like everyone else and then live with it. All this talk here is getting kind of redundant and I don't see a point to the speculation anymore. I'll just wait for some concrete information.

Bobette
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by b1513
I actually called Amex for another reason and, while i had them on the phone, i asked about the AXON. They did a three way call with Hilton. I'm not calling again. It will be what it will be and I shall wait like everyone else and then live with it. All this talk here is getting kind of redundant and I don't see a point to the speculation anymore. I'll just wait for some concrete information.
This is the camp I'm in too. It seems pretty clear that if you call right now you are going to get one of two answers -- that AXON is going away or that something new is coming in the next week or few days. What good is it going to do for people to keep calling and post "I got answer A" or "I got answer B"?

Same with the citi certs question. Mommypoints runs an affiliate link for the card and so she has doubtlessly has contacts materially different from Hilton line supervisors. Unless and until told otherwise, I'm going with her post. Her contacts, presumably, are citi not hilton contacts. It's their product, so I'm thinking they would know. They also have the most incentive to get hilton to play ball, since they've been selling the card with the promise of free nights and if people who earned a free night with $10k spend before the changes were announced are limited in where they can book, citi is going to have a serious problem on its hands.

But ultimately, we'll know when we'll know. It's not going to change my behavior one way or the other. In the next month, I'm going to book every AXON I theoretically might need. If something almost as good comes along, I'll see what's what when it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.