Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by etsmyers
If Hilton wants to save face and win back the clients that SLEEP in their hotels. They will offer PHENOMONAL promos or up the points awarded for sleeping in their hotels, thus we can afford the new requirements and separate us from the card churners
What they should do, is to provide discounted redemption rates to people that stay in their hotels. Offer somethign like a 25 to 30 percent off in points on redemptions to people that have 30+ nights a year in paid stays.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by underpressure
I still think this is an attempt to clean up the goofy system they created and they are moving to a system that rewards the AIB nights appropriately.

All of these credit card reward points cost them money to purchase and assign/redeem and they do nothing to increase the loyalty. I think they are figuring out there is a large share of their HHonors membership that are loyal to the program who are not loyal to the hotels.

If that is indeed the end game and I pay a higher premium during the correction period, I am all for it. @:-)
Don't you think they love the credit card money though. I am sure they are charging Amex and Citi more per point than they are paying the properties that take reward bookings.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by lkar
... more per point than they are paying the properties that take reward bookings.
and that may be exactly where the push back is coming from. I would guess most of the properties I stay at are not Hilton owned. If I were an operator getting a subparreimbursement rate I would be screaming when I looked and saw the "gold" member has two hotel stays last year.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by etsmyers
If Hilton wants to save face and win back the clients that SLEEP in their hotels. They will offer PHENOMONAL promos or up the points awarded for sleeping in their hotels, thus we can afford the new requirements and separate us from the card churners
Seems like that is what they have been doing.... until Q4, 2012. Q1 2013 is OK though.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
and that may be exactly where the push back is coming from. I would guess most of the properties I stay at are not Hilton owned. If I were an operator getting a subparreimbursement rate I would be screaming when I looked and saw the "gold" member has two hotel stays last year.
Keep in mind that all "loyalty" programs are really marketing programs. Nobody really cares how many nights you spent at a particular hotel chain last year or how many miles you flew on a particular airline.

They are only interested in your future stays/flights.

Now take a look at me -- I am probably the ultimate example of a credit card "elite". I signed up for the Surpass card in 2011 and was immediately made Gold through March 2014. I spent $40,000 on the card in 2012 and was made Diamond through March 2015.

Yes, I got high status without staying but I didn't really get that many HHonors points. The only way I could do that was by staying at Hilton hotels -- which is exactly what both HHonors and franchisees were hoping that I would do.

I did not have a ton of stays between 2011 but I did have several -- in Atlanta, New York, Seattle, Dusseldorf, and Frankfurt. Normally, I would not have stayed in these hotels (except Atlanta) -- I would have looked for less expensive ones. The status I got, however, lured me into staying in Hilton properties.

In short, the Surpass card did what a marketing tool is supposed to do. It got me to buy. On top of that, HHonors managed to make some money from Amex even when I was not staying there.

Nobody connected with Hilton is unhappy about that.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam

Now think about the operator funding the "bonus points" (like the Q1 2X bonus) If I was looking at having to pay for those bonus points and I saw guests staying a the property who have only sayed a dozen nights or so, I would do what many of them have done, opt out. I really think they are trying to clean up their act after some disasterous marketing decisions in the past.

The Quarterly Bonuses for Hotel Stays for the balance of this year will be the tale of the tape.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by san888
Nice point.....but there are many of us I'm sure like myself that were saving their points (1.5M) for future dream vacations. I stay 75 nights at hilton a year (as they say here "BUTT IN BED"). They can make their changes....going forward!!

Don't devalue points I earned sometimes for stays at higher rates than other hotels just so I could keep my Diamond status!!

I strongly feel they should have rewarded loyal Hilton patrons with some sort of equitable adjustment on accrued points.

My example: -- if you earn interest on a bank account and the interest rate goes from 3% to 1%, they don't go back and retro actively take all the intest you earned at 3% back.

Bad buisness and "CORPORATE GREED" is the only way to explain this.
Like you, I have a ton of AIB points but they pale in comparison to my total points. Without looking, I entered the year at somewhere close to 1000 points. I am over 218,000 right now with a base point load of 18,000 points or so....

Originally Posted by My HHonors Statement
218,173 Total HHonors Points

DIAMOND

12 Stays | 18 Nights | 18,487 Base Points
It really has gotten to be just plain goofy.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Citi Visa hotel certs

Just received the hotel cert for my citi visa so called HH to see about how it can be redeemed. I specifically asked because it was issued as valid for Hilton properties in category 1-7 and Hitlon only has categories 1-7 would it be valid at higher category properties after the March 28th change. The agent was taken back by the question and did not know the answer. She put me on hold and went to ask for clarification. Bottom line is they came back and said that the certifiacte is only good for a category 1-7 hotel now and after March 28th.

Had a feeling they would pull this. Does greatly reduce the value of the HH Citi Visa now. I wil have to take a hard look and see if there are any properties left under a category 7 where I would want to stay to offset the annual fee. I always viewed the card as an inexpensive prepay for a room I would use anyway in the course of a year. Unfortunaltey in the past that room was the Roosevelt in NOLA ($300 and up) which is now a cat 8.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ncgator
Citi Visa hotel certs

Just received the hotel cert for my citi visa so called HH to see about how it can be redeemed. I specifically asked because it was issued as valid for Hilton properties in category 1-7 and Hitlon only has categories 1-7 would it be valid at higher category properties after the March 28th change. The agent was taken back by the question and did not know the answer. She put me on hold and went to ask for clarification. Bottom line is they came back and said that the certifiacte is only good for a category 1-7 hotel now and after March 28th.

Had a feeling they would pull this. Does greatly reduce the value of the HH Citi Visa now. I wil have to take a hard look and see if there are any properties left under a category 7 where I would want to stay to offset the annual fee. I always viewed the card as an inexpensive prepay for a room I would use anyway in the course of a year. Unfortunaltey in the past that room was the Roosevelt in NOLA ($300 and up) which is now a cat 8.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...-up-bonus-now/
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thank you for the link. Now if she only included who these people are she reached out to it mght help. evidently the Supervisor when i called was not in her loop. When HH sends me a new certificate showing it valid for cat 1-10 and tells me the certificate I have now is invalid I will believe it.

Thank you NJupintheair for the link though.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Now think about the operator funding the "bonus points" (like the Q1 2X bonus) If I was looking at having to pay for those bonus points and I saw guests staying a the property who have only sayed a dozen nights or so, I would do what many of them have done, opt out.
No, because you, as the operator, would not care at all about how many stays they had. The question in your mind would be whether the Q1 2X bonus is going to bring in enough business to you to make it worth your cost.

If Q1 usually sees your hotel close to full without any promos, you will opt out. If it is a dead period for you, you will participate in the hope of renting some rooms which would otherwise be empty.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
No, because you, as the operator, would not care at all about how many stays they had. The question in your mind would be whether the Q1 2X bonus is going to bring in enough business to you to make it worth your cost.

If Q1 usually sees your hotel close to full without any promos, you will opt out. If it is a dead period for you, you will participate in the hope of renting some rooms which would otherwise be empty.
I thought the reimbursement rate was on a sliding scale. It started out low, and as the hotel filled up, the reimbursement approached rack rate or some maximum. It actually rewarded hotels that were full or nearly so.

If it is one flat low rate, the properties that opted out would be those that had less of a chance of filling.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:13 pm
In Memoriam

That would be a good assumption, expect every time there is a promo; it seems like more and more properties are "opting out" and with the economy the way it has been the last three/four years, that does not make sense.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Keep in mind that all "loyalty" programs are really marketing programs. Nobody really cares how many nights you spent at a particular hotel chain last year or how many miles you flew on a particular airline.

They are only interested in your future stays/flights.
SPG does reward you based on how many nights you stay at a hotel. They have a strong marketing/credit card program but those that stay in the hotels as a Platinum actually get rewarded better. I wish SPG would give platinum just on $40K in credit card spending and I would get an SPG credit card and charge $40K and stay there more seeing the partnership that kicks in on Saturday with Delta.

Unless you charge $25K a year on a Delta credit card, they are also changing their program to be like Southwest's where you have to spend money with them for status. That is one change I am looking forward to on March 1, 2015. I'm hoping my upgrades will go up and I won't be competing with as many that don't fly that much. I hated the change with Southwest though. I used to get 1 to 2 free tickets a month on southwest and companion status without even giving the airline $1,000 a year in revenue flights.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:41 pm

I remember 70K got me 6 nights at the Conrad HK. Gee, how much will it cost under the new HH plan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.