Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Hilton New Orleans Airport - category 5

Hampton Inn & Suites Elmwood ( Elmwood is the name of the discount shopping center across the street)) - category 6

Hampton Inn Elmwood, a category 6!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Someone at Hilton has a warped sense of humor!!!!! A category 6!!!! LOL!!! Apparently, whoever categorized this Hampton is only used to staying at Days Inn, no offense to the Days Inn chain. Oh, my god!!! No one from Hilton must have viewed this property. Maybe one of the Hilton offshore call center reps reviewed it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by captainnole
Does Hyatt even have a similar Hitlon MVP type program? The Hilton MVP program has helped me out a lot, but with this devaluation of their program it's time to look at all possiblities.
With Hyatt you can just get the Chase Visa and get gold status off the bat. Although I'm not sure how good Hyatt is with giving upgrades to their golds.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

For some reason I thought you did, I send 20K and get gold just like the Surpass
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AnthonyF1227
With Hyatt you can just get the Chase Visa and get gold status off the bat. Although I'm not sure how good Hyatt is with giving upgrades to their golds.
I thought that poster was talking about the MVP room rates, not the MVP fast track to gold.

The Hyatt Visa does give you platinum for just having the card but Hilton gold is more valuable. You don't get upgrades or breakfast, however you do get a guaranteed late check out and something simliar to the diamond force on sold out hotels. You also can't get obtain diamond status with Hyatt through credit card use. $40k spend gives you a few nights credit towards diamond but won't give you the status, but Hyatt diamond is worth a lot more than Hilton diamond.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Feb 21, 2013 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
but Hilton diamond is worth a lot more than Hilton diamond.
Try again?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Try again?
Sorry meant Hyatt diamond was worth more than Hilton diamond. I'll change the post.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I've looked at the hotels that we regularly use for family vacations and I don't see the sky falling there -- I guess we just don't go to aspirational places.

One place we do go to is Deadwood, SD. Mrs. Amanuensis is from there and she still has family there. Right now, the price is 40,000 points per night at the Hampton Inn. After the change, it will still be 40,000 points per night every month but August, when it will be 70,000 points per night. August is when the Sturgis Rally takes place in the town next door, so I really can't blame the hotel for raising its points then. Anyhow, there are no rooms during the rally still to be had with either points or cash. Already sold out. It is my understanding that when rooms were still available, the cash price for a double queen was $699 per night. So even at the 70,000 per night rate, that is a cent a point. Just be sure to book a year in advance.

A case can be made that 40,000 points per night is too high when the rally is not in town, especially at this time of the year (the off season) when the cash price is only $69 per room ($55.20 MVP). But during July (when we typically go to visit my wife's family), rooms go for $135 weekdays and $169 weekends.
That hotel is not raising its price in points. Hilton HHonors/Hilton Worldwide is raising its price. During special events, there is no guarantee that standard rooms will be available for points -- and the Hilton DisHHonors' "premium" point-priced rooms scam is something of a concern still.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jefftiger
It's always nice, as a long-time Diamond member, to have not received any e-mail notification of this change. I read about it here.

There's a general lack of information about the future of VIP awards (GLONs) and the assumption articulated on the previous pages is that with the new "5th night free" business, that these VIP and AXON awards will probably disappear.

But, if that's the case, why is HHonors calling the new awards "standard awards"? It kind of begs the question that if there are standard awards, maybe there will be some new, non-standard or discount rewards? One could always hope, but I'm not too optimistic.
Standard room awards are not disappearing Hilton DisHHonors' "premium" room award pricing scam. That is why.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Sorry meant Hyatt diamond was worth more than Hilton diamond. I'll change the post.
And as I've pointed out in other threads, Hyatt's category adjustment last month (takes effect this month) was minimal. 17 hotels changed categories; ten went down one category, six went up one category, and one went up two categories. Net effect: down 2. And all of the adjustments were basically equal (i.e. one 5 to 4 and one 4 to 5; one 5 to 6 and one 6 to 5--except for the two 2 to 1 that had no corresponding increase). Obviously there aren't enough Hyatt's compared to Hilton (I think Hilton has something like 8 or 10 times more hotels worldwide). But if Hyatt fits you travel plans, their "behavior" this year has been wonderful, stellar or princely (choose your effusive adjective) compared to the other chains.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
And as I've pointed out in other threads, Hyatt's category adjustment last month (takes effect this month) was minimal. 17 hotels changed categories; ten went down one category, six went up one category, and one went up two categories. Net effect: down 2. And all of the adjustments were basically equal (i.e. one 5 to 4 and one 4 to 5; one 5 to 6 and one 6 to 5--except for the two 2 to 1 that had no corresponding increase). Obviously there aren't enough Hyatt's compared to Hilton (I think Hilton has something like 8 or 10 times more hotels worldwide). But if Hyatt fits you travel plans, their "behavior" this year has been wonderful, stellar or princely (choose your effusive adjective) compared to the other chains.
Unfortunately there are a lot more Hilton properties than Hyatt's in the areas I travel to But I wasn't refering to awards and points, I was refering to benefits for diamonds.

Hyatt diamonds get a guaranteed 4 p.m. check out. Hilton you are guaranteed no kind of late check out. Hyatt diamonds get a HOT breakfast if there is no lounge, Hilton sometimes it's a great breakfast and other times it's a yogurt parfet and a couple pastries. Hyatt gives their diamonds GUARANTEED suite upgrades, Hilton doesn't.

I am really thinking of moving a lot of stays to SPG. I can still keep diamond with Hilton on credit card spend and until I can get status at SPG I will still have free wifi and a GUARANTEED 4 p.m. checkout by just having status with Hilton. Once I get status with Starwood I can SPG points on my Delta flights and I have some expensive Delta flights this summer coming up.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down 2 of my fav's Now Cat 9

I sure hate it but 2 of my favorites are now going to be Category 9 hotels. So much for that:

Hilton Sandestin

Hilton Pensacola Beach
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
I sure hate it but 2 of my favorites are now going to be Category 9 hotels. So much for that:

Hilton Sandestin

Hilton Pensacola Beach
LOL - there is nothing in Pensacola that merits a Category 9.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
1- The people who got royally shafted are the business travelers who actually have to stay at hiltons, they now have to stay twice as many nights to get the same.
I really feel bad for them, business travellers away from thier home/families, this is the true loyal customer, slowly building their accounts, while I churn cards and manufature spend, I am Diamond through credit cards.

Did hilton not see that?

Also the other loyal customers outside the USA got really screwed, they dont have CVS, VR, Mint, etc, and they cant churn.

Last edited by ORD-TGU; Feb 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
2-No surprise the major deval, multiple cards and churning, plus manufactured spend.
3-Priceline and third party booking is the way to go, I have been fortunate to get gold benefits most of the time.
4-Hyatt looks better for premium properties, Club Carlson also has most of my business
5-No more spend on AMEX HH, will still keep free version, but all spend now goes to SPG, Club Carlson US bank and Chase UR cards.

Yes, we are fickle, very fickle, also we adapt.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
I ended up applying for the Priceline Visa Signature (flat 2% cash back, 5% on name your own price bids at PCLN) and got approved with a $19k CL. It's going to be my new primary card.

I also ended up booking my next few hotel nights with Priceline instead, and ended up getting a HGI at about 50% off the MVP rate and another 5% cash back at Fatwallet.
this devaluation is the game changer for me, it tips the scale to a cost concious focus that is concerned more on dollars spent vs value received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.