Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by birdyy
I thought Diamond after $40K spend is an AmEx benefits, not a Visa one??
The Hilton reserve visa gives you Diamond after $40K
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sbm12
Possibly a silly question, but how much would that breakfast cost for the few times you're going to eat it rather than it being "free" with your status? There are a lot of other CCs out there offering pretty good value on $40K in spend.
Remember you also get at least 120K in points,which used to be worth a lot to me with my rewards stays being at properties like the DT times square on new years and the bentley in Mimi when rooms are 1,500 a night and the trafalgar in london, but I realize might not be worth much anymore with the devaluation. I am going to spend at least $10K anyway for the free weekend night,so that is only another $30K in spend.

I'm thinking other benefits outside the breakfast though. The diamond desk has saved me a couple times from paying a cancel fee when a flight has been cancelled past the cancel deadline. One time I was travelling with a gold and it was a pleasure trip and they charged him the same night since the weather was ok in NYC, but they waived it for me as a courtesy for being diamond so that was around $250 saved that trip.

While it's a benefit that has gone away (and hopefully will come back now with the deval to keep diamonds happy), the diamond desk was able to get the Traflgarin London and the Bentley in Miami ($1,500 a night) to let me use an axon when they didn't have any standard rooms available so that was a huge savings there.

This past weekend at the Tropicana in Vegas I got the resort fees waived ($20 a day) and got a GREAT suite upgrade. Gold I was with had to pay almost $40 for the weekend in resort fees and only got an upgrade to a deluxe room. I go to vegas at least 4 times a year and if I get a suite upgrade most of those trips, combined with the savings on resort fees, would be something else that would be nice.

Hilton Atlanta is a property I stay at a lot. They are great about enforcing the lounge access to only diamonds and people on the exec level. If a gold doesn't get upgraded to the exec level they get some grab and go bag breakfast. As a diamond, I have lounge access and they give diamonds a full buffet breakfast every morning. Travelling overseas the lounges are really nice and it's a great benefit having lounge access at the properties that provide free alcohol.

I'm hoping Marriott changes their hotel program to give out status more easilly on credit card spend like Hilton does.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Bye Hilton, i'll catch you when you come back down to earth. You can find me over at SPG/Hyatt.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I see, thanks much.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Will finish up my points and goodbye too. Too bad I have made this year vacation using AWA rates. If not, I will cancel all the booking.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and this will all have been a dream.

Jeez.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
So how many of you think, it may be a better idea leaving Hawaiian miles, right where they are...?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by birdyy
What you're seeing is the current point requirement. I checked a couple of things today that I know will increase and they are still listed with the old redemption amounts even though the dates I used are after April 1st.
Old redemption only valid for booking until 28th March. I have made my booking to finish off my point on next year February. Conrad Rangali still have 37500/nights.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
After the initial signup bonus why would you want to pay the annual fee for the reserve card when a $40K spend on no annual fee Amex also gives you Diamond status ?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
For the uninitaited:

CVS = US Drug store chain

VR = Vanilla Reload card, what people have been using to purchase with their AMEX cards at drug stores like CVS and it very likely killed the mulitplier bonus we got for drug store spend with the AMEX Hilton products.
and thats a link how to use them, but I think it's again only possible for US residents

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-reload-cards/

I went to the CVS website, and searched for " vanilla " or " vanilla reload " , but nothing found so far.
Let me ask about the system, if I correct ?
people need a HH credit card in the first place ( like the HH AMEX ) them give up to 6 pints per $ you spend in some shops ( like CVS ).
Then one buy/reload 500 $ on this VR card, makes 500 * 6 = 3000 points. the fee for this is 3.99 US$. ( that's how them calculate the 0.0013 $ per point cost ).
After you have to spend the 500 $ on the card you load them ??

Last edited by bertheike; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Things might not be that bad. One example: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Beijing is cat4 asking 30k/night. In the new system, it asks freaking 5k/night, 5000pts. It's a $150+/night hotel. I think I will keep using my no-fee hh amex card.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyer4512
After the initial signup bonus why would you want to pay the annual fee for the reserve card when a $40K spend on no annual fee Amex also gives you Diamond status ?
the amex surpass card also has an annual fee....you don't get diamond on the free amex card with $40k spend....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by bertheike
and thats a link how to use them, but I think it's again only possible for US residents

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-reload-cards/

I went to the CVS website, and searched for " vanilla " or " vanilla reload " , but nothing found so far.
Let me ask about the system, if I correct ?
people need a HH credit card in the first place ( like the HH AMEX ) them give up to 6 pints per $ you spend in some shops ( like CVS ).
Then one buy/reload 500 $ on this VR card, makes 500 * 6 = 3000 points. the fee for this is 3.99 US$. ( that's how them calculate the 0.0013 $ per point cost ).
After you have to spend the 500 $ on the card you load them ??
To answer your question in a nutshell:
US resident due to logistical and legal purpose
You can only buy these Vanilla Reload cards in person. These cannot be bought online.
You also have to then load the VR cards onto American Express Bluebird Prepaid AMEX (need to apply for one before hand). Basically you then have the $500 (or whatever amount) loaded onto the Bluebird AMEX.
Take the Bluebird AMEX and pay your bills (i.e. your AMEX bill)
In effect, the 6x points go to your HHonors account, and your bills are paid by the same charges made. The transaction cost is basically $3.95 per $500.

However, the obstacles exists are:
1) CVS stores are a hit and miss because some carry it, some don't
2) 6x bonus from AMEX is due to end in May; then only 5x @ grocery stores; and another method/vehicle for prepaid debit will be needed

So it is definitely a YMMV on this.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:32 am

I need an additional 100K HH points to book my next 2 vacations.

What's the cheapest way to get those points before the 3/28 deadline? I don't want to pay $1000 for them from Hilton. I have Chase UR points and United miles to convert but I can't seem to find a way.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
So how many of you think, it may be a better idea leaving Hawaiian miles, right where they are...?
Trying to decide as well, recently did the 2x35k signup bonus for Hawaiian with plans to transfer to Hilton...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.