Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Unhappy Is there anybody who could book VIP reward ?

4 days ago I could book 6 days for Seychelles and Tahiti Bora Bora.
But now no more.
Without signing in, the normal reward rate appears without discount.
But once I signed in, no rate appears and the message like "requested rate is not available" appears.

I guess the Hhonors already blocked people from booking reward stay at discounted rate.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by trustfriend
But now no more.
But once I signed in, no rate appears and the message like "requested rate is not available" appears.

I guess the Hhonors already blocked people from booking reward stay at discounted rate.
I also had no luck trying today to book a rewards stay in London for this fall Seeing that Hilton raised the number of nights and stays required to keep diamond status and is devaluing points so much, I hope they don't take this benefit away from us if they are taking away the AXON awards.

I am trying to book a stay in Chicago in Chicago for this month and the hotels I want to stay at are all sold out and the site isn't giving me the diamond force option like it usually does (I was able to book calling the diamond line so rooms are available for diamond force stays), so it may be another glitch in their website for both reduced point reward stays and diamond force stays.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:27 am

But now no more.

I mentioned this happening as well for Conrad Koh Samui, with regular search it shows availability for points but once I login there is none. Has anyone had success booking either of these hotels for points?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by zaf
Is there any word on us loosing VIP redemption rates?
Yes. They're history. In lieu, five-night stays will have the same point cost as four-night stays for Silver, Gold, and Diamond guests.
Originally Posted by duke2013
I mentioned this happening as well for Conrad Koh Samui, with regular search it shows availability for points but once I login there is none. Has anyone had success booking either of these hotels for points?
Normally this (redemptions disappearing when signed in) happens when you don't have enough points.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Well, they say actions speak louder than words. Today, I had my HH Diamond matched to PC Platinum, and my HHonors account shows no upcoming stays.

Unfortunately, the other chains are relatively weak in the UK. Marriott isn't too bad, but SPG and Hyatt have very few properties.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:14 am

But now no more.

I was able to book an AXON stay for DT Times Square for NYE 2014. This was via the phone, of course. The phone call and reservation went without incident. I was blown away.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by stifle
Well, they say actions speak louder than words. Today, I had my HH Diamond matched to PC Platinum, and my HHonors account shows no upcoming stays.

Unfortunately, the other chains are relatively weak in the UK. Marriott isn't too bad, but SPG and Hyatt have very few properties.
PC Platinum is pretty easy to obtain for people in the US, even cheaper than Hilton gold. IIRC the annual fee on the PC visa is only $50 a year and they waive it the first year and the card gives you Plat. status.

You also don't get free wifi and breakfast. Two big benefits to me as an HH diamond.

Now RC level is great. Free minibar and GUARANTEED upgrade to the next room type at IC's.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spg was historically overpriced in high end space and now Hilton joined it.
However unlike Hilton, Spg (and Hyatt for that matter) has plenty of decent 3k to 7k properties especially in se asia. Even if you value Hilton at a quarter of spg finding anything decent <30k/nt is near impossible.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Whenever SPG devaluations hit, I always notice the midcategory jumps. The 3,000-point property that jumps to 7,000 and the 7,000 that jumps to 10,000. Just a "feature" of their program...those categories are BIG jumps, whereas Marriott and Hilton can move a 20,000-point property to 25k and it doesn't sting as much.

So in that light, I would always say that Starwood's category creep is more severe than Hilton's or Marriott's.

At least, until Hilton turns a 37.5k Doubletree into 95k, proving me completely wrong.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:45 pm
cjd

Still haven't received any notification from Hhonors of the changes even though my account e-mail preferences are ticked for Special Offers and Announcements Suspect there may be many members not even aware of these forthcoming changes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Same here, cjd - particularly poor show that they can't even seem to manage to properly inform all their members!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
me too. Never seem to receive emails from Hilton even though I have ticked the boxes on my account email preference page
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cjd
Still haven't received any notification from Hhonors of the changes even though my account e-mail preferences are ticked for Special Offers and Announcements Suspect there may be many members not even aware of these forthcoming changes.
Nor have I - and I've been diamond for most of the last 10 years.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:22 pm

Forgive me if it has been asked, I've tried searching.

If I book a cat 7 now for 2014, could I book 10 days and edit my reservation down to say 7 days in the future if I need to shorten my stay around the flights? Or, will they require me to cancel the whole reservation and rebook at the new higher rates?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vertosman
Forgive me if it has been asked, I've tried searching.

If I book a cat 7 now for 2014, could I book 10 days and edit my reservation down to say 7 days in the future if I need to shorten my stay around the flights? Or, will they require me to cancel the whole reservation and rebook at the new higher rates?
Any modification to the old reservation would makes it subject to the new rate.

Why can't you split the booking into a combo of AXON / VIP / Single Nights? Play with the number and see which combo uses the least pts and best work with your most likely dates.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot take out the bonus category because it is a big enhancer to earn.

Go tell any elites in any FFP that they should not care for the RDM but only the EQM, then I am sure you would be met with "Huh?"

You use the RDM to redeem your award tickets, not your EQM.

Ditto you use points earned from all sources for reward nights, not only elite qualifying points.

That is THE MATH - earnings from all sources go to the pool for redeeming awards. Plain and Simple - because this is how things work.

You do whatever you can to maximize your earning - in that regard HHonor has MUCH MORE ways to earn pts relatively easy than SPG, especially for those who live in the US and have the means to do so.

Take this Citi TYP Preferred card which earns 5x in category spending for the first year, and if you also own the TYP Premium card you can transfer the TYP to HHonor at 1 to 1.5 - that beats earning HHonor pts from using the HHonor card by 25% even in the SAME bonus category spend! Guess if people own both, which card they should put their spend on if their goal is to maximize their HHonor point earning, at a $1 for 7.5 HHonor pts.

Does SPG has such opportunity? None.

If some people cannot take advantage of bonus categories, that is just too bad - life is never fair as they say...

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
The math is simple; take out the "bonus" category and compare apples to apples: $20K spend will yield either 20K SPG or 60K HHonor points. Which means a near top-category SPG property vs. mid-high category HHonors property for $20K in CC spending.

Bonus categories are nice but I do not believe it should be relied upon. Some people will not be able to take advantage of bonus categories. For fair comparison, baseline earn needs to be used in evaluation. The bonus category calculations can only be factored in for those who can actually take advantage of it. Not to mention the bonus category can be removed and there's nothing anyone can do about it (i.e. AMEX removal of 6x at pharmacies).

It's like telling someone they can earn 10K RDM's for a mileage run (if you have 100% bonus due to status), when in reality not everyone will have elite status and the guaranteed amount is actually 5K RDM's.

I am benefiting from the bonus categories, but I can't say it applies for everyone; and baseline calculations should be applied.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.