Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:11 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by BotB
Nice review ^ , very detailed and useful and you know I'm going to say thanks for posting some pics as well ^
Thanks BotB for your compliments. We had two great stays here recently, very enjoyable hotel indeed. ^
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Just spent a night there in an upgraded room....and woke itchy. It took a more complete examination in the airline loo to figure out that I had been bitten by bed bugs--something I have not experienced for 50 years! I phoned Hilton Corporate in the US but while they found the reservation I could not confirm the # as I had only the AMEX number since I paid with points. I said I was calling on a public health matter and they said I should call London. I did and reported it and they said they had used the room twice since I'd been there with "no complaints." Gee, maybe they haven't figured it out yet. I suggested they check the room more thoroughly. What else should I do?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pavane
Just spent a night there in an upgraded room....and woke itchy. It took a more complete examination in the airline loo to figure out that I had been bitten by bed bugs--something I have not experienced for 50 years! I phoned Hilton Corporate in the US but while they found the reservation I could not confirm the # as I had only the AMEX number since I paid with points. I said I was calling on a public health matter and they said I should call London. I did and reported it and they said they had used the room twice since I'd been there with "no complaints." Gee, maybe they haven't figured it out yet. I suggested they check the room more thoroughly. What else should I do?
Contact the general manager of the hotel

thats what i did when i had a cleanliness issue

i took photos as well - but its a bit late for that
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Unhappy The Telegraph reviews the Hilton Gatwick - "horrible Hilton"

Sadly, this about sums up most the Hilton Hotels in the UK (outside London City) ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-contest.html

The experience was horrendous. From the signage at the airport to the suicide-inducing walk through a car park to a receptionist who ignored the queue in front of her ​in favour of some filing to the room itself, this was like being on a British Rail train in the 1970s, and I​ haven't ​​​even mentioning the expensive swill, aka room service, that I was served in my cell.

​It was t​otal contempt for the customer and I am a member of Hilton’s Honours membership ​scheme ​as well. When I complained, all I received was two hours’ free WiFi and that was annoying because I had to keep refreshing the page every 20 minutes or so. A medieval business and a brand-destroying experience.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:45 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by little_dc
Sadly, this about sums up most the Hilton Hotels in the UK (outside London City) ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-contest.html
I've had nothing but good experiences at the Gatwick Hilton. The article leads to be assume that the author is another Hipster Millennial who would prefer places like the Andaz in London with lots of flash, lots of noise, and no substance. I say good riddance.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stc
I've had nothing but good experiences at the Gatwick Hilton. The article leads to be assume that the author is another Hipster Millennial who would prefer places like the Andaz in London with lots of flash, lots of noise, and no substance. I say good riddance.
I am not sure about that. I did my first stay at the Hilton LGW a couple of weeks ago and found the rooms (Exec Wing) feeling far tattier than they were on my last visit and the lounge was absolutely heaving and rather unpleasant.

My corporate rate at this property is great and it can cost half as much as the Hampton Inn at the North Terminal and I always get an Exec room and lounge access. So it is difficult to complain but the Sofitel is a much better property at LGW I think.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:28 pm

My experience is exec rooms good, normal rooms attrocious
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Note of caution about parking for benefit of any LGW Hilton first-timers who might need to park there overnight.

Very pleasant stay there last weekend whilst visiting family in the area, but I was negligent (by my own standards) in not thinking ahead of overnight parking. I knew there is no free parking there, but when I've stayed before, I've got into the next door (Europarks?) car park with no bother, and didn't mind the Hilton rate of about £15. This time I arrived at 8pm on Sat night to find it had a full sign up, and was not taking anyone who hadn't pre-booked. End result, reception pointed me at Short Stay (£32), but I chose to follow my nose to the long Stay (£20), and was able to walk to/from there in about 5 mins.

Spoke to reception in the morning and they told me it was not unusual on busy days for their next door car park to be full. Oh well, I'll plan better next time.

PS - just read that Telegraph review from Oct '14, and am very puzzled. Am I alone in finding it strange that the reporter should go out in London, drink to the point of not wanting to go home on last train, but then make a bizarre decision to get the train to Gatwick and stay in the Hilton on a last-minute booking? Then when he arrived, presumably tired/worse for wear, complain about the walk from the station, about front desk staff, the room, et al, and to add insult to injury, write his headline using the words "....horrible Hilton". Stranger still when you read on to find that the article was really a plug for some new hotel booking app/review site that I've never heard of, before or since. Admittedly, as HH D, I always get given a room in Exec Wing and lounge access, but I do think this Hilton is a good one by UK Hilton standards, and am prepared to factor in the parking difficulties and still prefer it over many other local options. Just my two-pennorth in defence of a hotel I happen to enjoy staying at, and will continue to do so.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
I agree it's a good Hilton, I stay there regularly. Everything 'just works' and it is consistent, you know that you'll get a good exec room (sometimes a suite), lounge access and a choice of breakfast in the lounge or restaurant.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:22 pm
cjd

Have also stayed there several times over the last few years and always found the hotel to be quite pleasant. Always given an executive room in the new wing, which is quite a long walk form reception, but no real problem. Choice of breakfast in lounge or restaurant and had some good "Park and Stay" rates in the past when making flights from Gatwick. Have, as warned above by loosehead, always prebooked the euro car park adjacent to the hotel, as it does get busy and takes long stay parking.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
It might also be worth noting that when you're contemplating booking one of the Hilton rates that includes car parking, it can sometimes be cheaper to separate the hotel stay and Gatwick parking charges.

I have stayed in the Gatwick Hilton 20 or so times in the last few years.

I needed 8/9 days parking and 1 night in the hotel in mid-August.

The family room I wanted (double and twin adjoining) was £272 I think with the parking at Gatwick Short Stay car park.

I managed to save £50 by booking the room only (admittedly on a non-refundable sale rate) and separately booking the car parking through the Gatwick Airport website (with a 5% discount code - Passport).

IMO, the hotel desperately needs some work but I still use it for the convenience.

Chris
Old May 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I am about to stay at Hilton Gatwick for two nights... I am most impressed with service so far. I am a lowly Silver but emailed and asked for early check in (2 hours early) and late check out (6 hours late) and have been granted both! I offered to pay for a third night but Hilton Gatwick refused!

I have only ever stayed in one other Hilton - the Hampton Inn at Gatwick where I stayed for four nights recently. I thought it quite nice but the breakfast was a bit poor quality but then it was a Hampton and is not the Hilton...

I normally stay in Radisson Blu. Now I am staying at the Hilton, will the breakfast be of higher quality than a Hampton and will it compare with a Radisson Blu brekkie or is it even better? My stay at this Hilton will be cheaper (per night) than the Hampton so I am intrigued!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:53 pm

I stay here regularly, it's one of my favorites and is good for an airport hotel. The staff are always very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is good and is much better than the Hampton with a much bigger selection, it's a full buffet. It can get very busy, especially at the weekends. I tend to go for breakfast early to avoid the rush where possible.

Having said that I do like the Hampton, it's very convenient, everything just works and the breakfast does the job

Anyway, back to the Hilton - 'Amy's' restaurant is good. It's worth asking if they have a deal or vouchers when you check in, I forget the cost. The vouchers are good for a three course meal and can be charged to the room bill.

Otherwise, there is the standard bar menu/room service. The sports bar (downstairs by the Garden restaurant, bottom of the escalator) is good fun to have a drink and watch a game, again, it can get busy.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gimp
I stay here regularly, it's one of my favorites and is good for an airport hotel. The staff are always very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is good and is much better than the Hampton with a much bigger selection, it's a full buffet. It can get very busy, especially at the weekends. I tend to go for breakfast early to avoid the rush where possible.

Having said that I do like the Hampton, it's very convenient, everything just works and the breakfast does the job

Anyway, back to the Hilton - 'Amy's' restaurant is good. It's worth asking if they have a deal or vouchers when you check in, I forget the cost. The vouchers are good for a three course meal and can be charged to the room bill.

Otherwise, there is the standard bar menu/room service. The sports bar (downstairs by the Garden restaurant, bottom of the escalator) is good fun to have a drink and watch a game, again, it can get busy.
Thanks for info...

I am flying in and need to hire morning suit on Friday (from Moss Bros) to return on Sunday. Moss Bros provides this facility... but I also want to buy clothes...

Horsham, Croydon and Crawley all have a Moss Bros.

Which of three towns above has best Moss Bros (I know all are open on Sunday for returns but need one with inventory) and regular shops such as GAP etc (I need t shirts, trousers, socks etc).. I want to go to Crawley, due to proximity, but hear it is very downmarket and does not even have GAP! I will be at mercy of public transport and want to return to Hilton Gatwick within four/five hours... My shopping window is from 1400 on a Friday leaving LGW and to be completed by 1800ish on a Friday...

Should I just head for Croydon?
Old May 31, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by cargueiro
Thanks for info...

I am flying in and need to hire morning suit on Friday (from Moss Bros) to return on Sunday. Moss Bros provides this facility... but I also want to buy clothes...

Horsham, Croydon and Crawley all have a Moss Bros.

Which of three towns above has best Moss Bros (I know all are open on Sunday for returns but need one with inventory) and regular shops such as GAP etc (I need t shirts, trousers, socks etc).. I want to go to Crawley, due to proximity, but hear it is very downmarket and does not even have GAP! I will be at mercy of public transport and want to return to Hilton Gatwick within four/five hours... My shopping window is from 1400 on a Friday leaving LGW and to be completed by 1800ish on a Friday...

Should I just head for Croydon?
Crawley is 10 minutes on the train, the shopping isn't that bad at County Mall - http://www.countymall.co.uk/. You'll have plenty of time if you go to Crawley, the trains are pretty frequent too, and you can also take a taxi if you want to.

If you're looking specifically for a GAP store, there is a one in Brighton which is about 30 minutes on the train and about 15 minutes walk from the station on Western Road. http://www.gap.co.uk/products/brighton-uk-store-972.jsp, this is also opposite Churchill Square shopping centre - http://www.churchillsquare.com/.

I don't know much about the shopping in Croydon, the GAP store there is a concession within House of Fraser, it may be smaller and not have a large range of products. However, the House of Fraser store will sell more upmarket brands. It used to when I last shopped there quite a few years ago, it may be different now though.

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.