Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

South Terminal Gatwick Airport Gatwick, GB RH6 0LL

Hilton London Gatwick Airport (0 Photo)

Check In

Arrived at check in to find a long queue.  There were 4 receptionists manning the desk but they weren't able to cope with the numbers.  The HHonors area wasn't in operation.  The system was completely chaotic, made more so when one of the receptionists left because their shift was over.  I saw one couple directed to two different queues, neither of which got them closer to the front - they were then taken out of the queue by someone who promised to help them, only to direct them back to the queue because he realised that he couldn't.  I was waiting for about 20 minutes in total and was really irritated by the end.

When I did get to be seen my diamond status was recognised and I was told that I would be upgraded from the double Hilton guestroom that I'd booked.  The receptionist told me that there was a choice of two rooms - an executive room in the refurbished wing or a family room in the main building.  He asked me which I'd like and because I hadn't done my research (which I acknowledge is on me) I asked which he'd recommend as the better room.  He told me that the family room was better as it was closer to the lounge and had more space. I took that recommendation, which proved to be the wrong decision.

The receptionist explained that I was entitled to use the lounge but that I'd arrived after the food offering had stopped.  He told me about the restaurants available in the hotel before giving me my room key.

Room

I was upgraded from a double HIlton guestroom to the Delux Hilton Family Room.  This is a large room with one king-sized bed and two single beds but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.  The room itself was in poor condition - there were stains on the carpet and the wall paper, the furniture was old and in poor condition and the room layout was strange with the television on a wall that meant you had to sit in an uncomfortable chair to see it.  The room I had was also an interior room so you had to have the curtains closed to make sure that you didn't flash the people in reception.

The bathroom was small with a shower over the bath.  The bathroom furniture was old and needed a refurb but was otherwise clean.

The bed had dents in the mattress and needed to be flipped or replaced but the worst thing about the room was the sound proofing.  After I went to bed a couple came into the room next door and I could hear everything they said.  It was too late for me to ask to change rooms so I ended up using some ear plugs I keep with me for emergencies but I still didn't get a good night's sleep.  

Dining

I ate at the hotel's Garden Restaurant, which operates a buffet for a flat fee of £26 plus drinks.  I thought that the quality of the buffet was very good with a wide choice of food that was cooked well.  Service was also good and although it's on the pricey side, it was actually pretty good value for money if you were intent on having a three course meal.

I went up to the lounge for drinks and snacks afterwards.  There wasn't a self-service on drinks (the fridges were all locked) but you could ask a member of staff for service and they were happy to oblige.  The lounge itself was a good sized space with plenty of seating and it was nice to be able to sit and relax for a bit.

I had breakfast in the lounge the next morning.  There wasn't a huge amount of choice, but the quality was okay and I ate enough to fill me up - mainly croissants, cold ham and cheese.

The location is the main reason to stay here.  It's right outside the South Terminal, which means you've got a 5 minute walk to the airport for your flight.

Overall

It had been about 8 years since my last stay at this Hilton - usually I stay at the Sofitel or the Bloc.  I was really disappointed with my stay and ended up letting them know when they sent me a post-stay survey.  To be fair to the hotel, I got a very apologetic email back explaining that the hotel was due for some investment to refurbish it and giving me 15000 HHonors points as compensation. 

I have to say I wouldn't stay in this hotel again until after I knew the refurbishment works had been completed and would prefer to stay at the Sofitel if I have to get a flight into or out of LGW.

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Gatwick Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Soup

Was thinking of bumping up this hotel after a previous stay about 2 months ago , but was beating to it by some reviews.

Unfortunately I am back tonight in lounge and the only hot food on offer is Soup, is this the cutbacks starting again.

Lounge not that busy, hotel full due to flight delays. Hopefully Budapest hiltons will redeem this holiday.

Basset
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by basset44
Was thinking of bumping up this hotel after a previous stay about 2 months ago , but was beating to it by some reviews.

Unfortunately I am back tonight in lounge and the only hot food on offer is Soup, is this the cutbacks starting again.

Lounge not that busy, hotel full due to flight delays. Hopefully Budapest hiltons will redeem this holiday.

Basset
I hadn't used the lounge until a couple of weeks ago and soup was the only "hot" option available. It's pretty disappointing as in the spring this year I visited once a month and they had a meat and veg option which was perfectly fine. But I think soup should be an added option to the others not as a only offering! I guess the best approach to raise it with the hotel and ask?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:00 am

Soup

Thanks Rockflyertalk for confirming that,

I did ask and apparently it was due to a request from a complaint that the "Lounge was being occupied by people eating and taking up all the tables "

Best laugh I have had all year.

Yes I did mention it on check out, and was again told my complaint was noted but it was a management decision, I replied I have a choice and from now on might book later flights and stay elsewhere.

Bassett
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm there tomorrow so I'll see what's on offer. It's slightly disappointing if it's just soup.

Thanks Bassett. Strange reaction from the Management. A few weeks back I was told there is a new management team..I may raise it with them myself.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I'm there tomorrow so I'll see what's on offer. It's slightly disappointing if it's just soup.

Thanks Bassett. Strange reaction from the Management. A few weeks back I was told there is a new management team..I may raise it with them myself.
I would agree that management are somewhat... strange.

The day before I was due to check out, I extended my stay by 1 night and asked if they could honour the same rate as I had been paying all week... not a problem. However they forgot to extend my booking and then couldn't honour that rate. So instead of the £82 I was told I could pay, they expected me to pay £140. Management reaction - if that's the price, that's the price much like the airline you now work for.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Review: Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

South Terminal Gatwick Airport Gatwick, GB RH6 0LL

Review: Hilton London Gatwick Airport (6 Photos)

As the recent reviews of Hilton London Gatwick Airport have been mixed, I’ll chime in with a review of my stay at the hotel last week.

Check In

When I arrived at the hotel, there was a long queue at the front desk. As suggested by Foltan, I went directly to the Executive Lounge on the 4th floor (no key card is required to use the lift) which is clearly signposted from the lobby. The receptionist in the Executive Lounge was friendly and the check-in process was quick.

As a Diamond member, I received an upgrade from a standard room to an Executive room.

Room

The Executive room which I was allocated was situated in the new wing, which is connected to the main building by a glass covered footbridge on some floors (the Executive Lounge is situated in the main building rather than the new wing, but the room was just a short walk away).

The room was clean and in a very good condition. Although it overlooked a busy access road, the soundproofing was great and it was not noisy at all.

DSCF3614.JPG

DSCF3616.JPG

There were two complimentary bottles of mineral water, but no welcome gift/letter (unlike the Executive room featured in the virtual tour on the hotel website which shows a bottle of red wine, chocolates and welcome letter!).

Bathroom:

DSCF3625.JPG

DSCF3626.JPG

One shortcoming was the room service tray which was left uncollected in the corridor outside the room opposite for the entirety of my stay (15 hours).

Executive Lounge

As mentioned by Lifetimeblue, the Executive Lounge is open between 6am to 11pm. Key card access is not required to access the Lounge; however, the member of staff may ask for your room number to check your eligibility.

A virtual tour of the Lounge is available on the hotel’s website at http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-london-gatwick-airport-GATHITW/photo-tours/index.html

Photo of the food/drink self-serve area in the Executive Lounge (afternoon tea selection featured below):

DSCF3611.JPG

The serving times of breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks as stated in Lifetimeblue's comprehensive post remain unchanged.

Breakfast is available from 6 to 10:30am, but a much wider selection of food is available in the Garden Restaurant (see below).

Afternoon tea is available from 2 to 5:30pm. There was a selection of refreshments (including scones with clotted cream, pastries, crisps, cookies peanuts). Unfortunately, the quality was quite disappointing (especially the chocolate chip cookies – I don’t think I’ve ever had such crunchy cookies!).

The Executive Lounge was quite busy when I visited for evening drinks (available from 6:30 to 8:30pm). A variety of alcoholic drinks (prosecco, wine, beer and spirits), soft drinks, tea and coffee were available. The food selection consisted of soup, bread roll, salad, crudités, pasta salad, lentils salad, cold cuts, a cheese platter, pudding and fresh fruit. As noted by basset44, there is no longer any hot dish on offer. Nonetheless, it was adequate as a substitute for a light dinner.

I could only find 2 power sockets in the Lounge (and they were located next to the sofas). I could not find any near the tables, so this may be an issue if you plan to work in the Lounge. There are 2 PCs and a printer which you can use.

Breakfast in the Garden Restaurant

As a Diamond member, I was able to have the full breakfast buffet free of charge in the Garden Restaurant (available from 5:30 to 10:30am daily). There was a great range of cooked English and continental breakfast items.

DSCF3629.JPG

From the South Terminal/railway station, follow the signs (‘Hotel’ with the blue Hilton logo) to the hotel. The route is covered and step-free. You should allow at least 10 minutes as you need to walk from the terminal building, take a lift and then walk through the car park complex.

Overall

I was satisfied with my stay at Hilton London Gatwick Airport. Although the food selection in the Executive Lounge could be improved, it was adequate. The breakfast buffet in the Garden Restaurant was good. The Executive room in the new wing was quiet, clean and comfortable.

Review: Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Gatwick Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Directions please to hilton Gatwick

Would someone please give me directions to the hilton gatwick from the train station? I read that you have to walk through a parking lot! Also do you know if afternoon tea is served in the executive lounge? Thank you.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Dax1956

Would someone please give me directions to the hilton gatwick from the train station? I read that you have to walk through a parking lot!
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/uni...ons/index.html
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
They do serve afternoon tea in the lounge, even if last time I was there it was very basic the lounge food and drink selection.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Dont follow all the signs

So follow signs from train station, outside to taxis etc.

Cross road into car park

Now, dont follow signs from there as thye make you go down one level to come back up

Simply go to the left and straight ahead through car park, you will see door to the right, which takes you into the tunnel leading into the hotel, usually lots staff etc using that route

Saves you going down and up
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gav0106
So follow signs from train station, outside to taxis etc.

Cross road into car park
Just to add a bit of detail here: what specifically you are looking for is Zone B, which is very well signposted. Zone B is a premium car parking zone, and also is where motorbikes are parked. If you walk across this parking area, quite short, and get to the end, there is a door that lets you into the LGW Hilton corridor, and you're not far from reception.

My version of directions - which is just me expressing it slightly differently from gav0106's excellent version - is exit the railway station, there are two exit routes, it doesn't matter which one you use. Head slightly towards zone K of LGW check-in area, where you'll see a lot of Norwegian Airlines branding or alternatively towards Marks and Spencer. Then reverse back, as if to leave the building, following the signs to the hotel and taxi, down a long corridor with a moving walkway. This brings you to an open plaza with daylight, and a smokers' den which seems to be well used 24 hours a day. Zone B is just behind the smokers, along Zone B, to the end, door on the right, into corridor and reception is then obvious. Five minutes should cover it easily.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I know gav0106 and corporate-wage-slave are trying to be helpful. But I've been to the Hilton several times and struggle to visualise their directions. So to be frank, the route is marked. Just go from the train station to the terminal and follow the signs to the Hilton.

I would leave the shortcuts to your second or third visit if you should leave the hotel to wander around the terminal shops.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Thanks everyone. If i get lost i will just have to ask.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dax1956
Thanks everyone. If i get lost i will just have to ask.
Despite the concerns above, I didn't think the route through the carpark was all that difficult my first time.
There are pictures of at least some of the route and other route descriptions in the thread for the property:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...rt-gbr-17.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.