Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the service is quite attentive in the exec lounge but the crappy nibblies are scimpy and almost inedible. The free lounge internet computers are a definate plus. I have learned to avoid the overpriced and sub-serviced bar and restaurant.

MisterNice
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
My experience is that the Hilton Gatwick is the single worst property in the chain. I spoke to a manager at length about why I experienced consistent, poor service. (FYI: he was leaving for another hotel). Well, I discovered that there is high turnover of employees at the hotel. It seems that they're in the business of training people to work elsewhere.

If you don't like the service in the lounge, it's frankly a lot worse in the lobby bar and ground floor restaurant. The downstairs restaurant is better.

I have discovered, if I want a meal, I need to go back to the terminal and take the train to the North Terminal. The Meridien (I think it still is a Meridien) gives much better service.

Actually, now that I am with Starwood, I think I will switch to the Meridien. I think it's part of the chain!
Time before this present stay, I found three Asda Wallmart meat pasties in the mini bar. Don't know whether this is a new benefit for Diamond members, or they hadn't cleaned the room properly - suspect the latter!
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Always enjoy this hotel, longue included. Several drinks in the longue ( I like the waitstaff), then a quick run to Pizza Express and I'm set. Another computer or two in the longue would be nice (and maybe improved room number signage, but not a big deal.) ^
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Always enjoy this hotel, longue included. Several drinks in the longue ( I like the waitstaff), then a quick run to Pizza Express and I'm set. Another computer or two in the longue would be nice (and maybe improved room number signage, but not a big deal.) ^
That's a good point: there are only two computers in that lounge. I think they still have two or three computers you can access in the lobby. You have to ask at the main desk. They have let given me access when I needed to print something.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somehow I remember 3 computers in the executive lounge and 1 or 2 printers. The only computers in the lobby seem to be the ones in the business office and they are almost as costly as the rooms. Where are the free ones?

MisterNice
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:57 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Somehow I remember 3 computers in the executive lounge and 1 or 2 printers. The only computers in the lobby seem to be the ones in the business office and they are almost as costly as the rooms. Where are the free ones?

MisterNice
I will try and find out. I will be at the Hotel tomorrow and again on 17/8. I will check out the lounge as well.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MisterNice
I have never been charged for using computers in the business lounge. I don't know if they're extending a courtesy to me because I am Diamond and stay there a lot, but I have never been asked to pay anything.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Well of course, everyone has a right to there own opinion on the basis of their perception of a decent hotel, but this hotel appears to be the Pariah of Hilton's in the UK and apparently gets more complaints than any other UK Hilton.
I guess it is primarily a transit hotel so maybe we /I shouldn't be so critical, but they take the money and so should deliver according to Hilton standards.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Roman
Time before this present stay, I found three Asda Wallmart meat pasties in the mini bar.
You weren't by chance in 7448?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obs
I will try and find out. I will be at the Hotel tomorrow and again on 17/8. I will check out the lounge as well.
Hey, you never got back to us about the big computer mystery. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
You weren't by chance in 7448?
Dunno, but I got a free bottle of claret on reporting my find
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think the high number of complaints are due to the lines at check in, sometimes all the way round the atrium... and also the relatively high cost for a room, no breakfast, when compared to others slightly off site....

If you are in the new wing, its great, the old one is less than pretty.

I propose most here end up in the new wing, being Gold/Platinum.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Roman
Dunno, but I got a free bottle of claret on reporting my find
Fair 'nuff. I forgot some ASDA Mini-Melton Pies in the minibar of 7448 a few weeks ago, hence the question.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by cressers
I think the high number of complaints are due to the lines at check in, sometimes all the way round the atrium...
I am at the Hilton Gatwick maybe 8-10 nights/month and have never seen lines that bad. Whenever the lines get out of control, the hotel sets up temporary desks in the area outside the health club and runs the lines down the walkway to the terminal. They also use this modus operandi to handle pax off delayed/cancelled flights.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:34 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

MisterNice
I stayed at the Hilton LGW twice so far this month. There are 3 computers in the lounge and 2 printers. There are no charges for using the computers or printing off any information.
As HH Gold emailed the hotel, who replied within 24 hours offering me Lounge access and free breakfast on my stays. On the first stay there was a queue at the desk. However they had a sign displayed offering check in facilities for Gold and Diamond member in the lounge, this saved me a 10 minute wait. Also the lounge staff arranged afor a 1400 checkout for me on my first stay, as I was not flying until 1700hrs. I had good rooms and found the staff to be very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.