Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
My experience was half-way between. It was the insistence on serving the drinks and the time-lag that drove me crazy. I do have two hands and two feet and actually resented having to sit around and wait to get a glass of wine from the Dolly Birds.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I stay there often as I do the DFW-LGW-LHR-onward thing.

The EXEC lounge is a joke.

One other thing which is funny is that the signs dont work to a lot of rooms. Now I am no idiot, but if you are in certain rooms and exit from the lounge you end up walking in circles.

Check in also takes about 5 times as long, i just use the front desk Hhonors line.

LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG walks to rooms too. The exec wing is miles away from the desk
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by cressers
I stay there often as I do the DFW-LGW-LHR-onward thing.

The EXEC lounge is a joke.

One other thing which is funny is that the signs dont work to a lot of rooms. Now I am no idiot, but if you are in certain rooms and exit from the lounge you end up walking in circles.

Check in also takes about 5 times as long, i just use the front desk Hhonors line.

LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG walks to rooms too. The exec wing is miles away from the desk
Agree with the signs, we had trouble too, but I ommited that observation.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rather enjoy the LGW lounge, but agree some of the mostly drab rooms can be better. The signage is dumb, .............really dumb and you get so much excersize awalking, one does not need a gym. Most exec lounges prohibit room service food as they are often too busy to serve, clean etc. Some will permit it but only if they are very empty. Actually I agree with this policy as I was once subjected to EXTRA EXTRA garlic laced dishes served next to me. Not very nice.

MisterNice
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: One Pass, SGP, HHonors,HGP
Gatwick Hilton

I've stayed at the Gatwick Hilton on several occasions and have had a few good stays and a few lousy ones.

Tip>

Avoid the main front desk check in if possible. If you are staying on their "executive floor" which is actually several floors in a newer wing of the hotel, check in at the executive lounge if it's still open; avoid the lines of the front desk. I always notice long lines, even at the HH VIP check in.

They almost never upgrade HH members to Ex Level, no matter of your status, they usually say those rooms are full.

If you are using HH points to cover a regular room you can usually pay approx 80.00 USD per night to upgrade to Ex floor. Is it worth it? Not really but If you need munchies and a PC and perhaps your room is not ready when you arrive it might be. I usually arrive to London at 10-11am and my Ex level room is sometimes not ready until 1. It’s better than sitting in their main lobby for hours.

Executive floor rooms are newer and bathrooms are nice. 2 complimentary Glass bottles of water are bedside and some tasty cookie crackers on the desk with tea/coffee and amenities. Mini bar is also in the room. Ex Lounge is nice with three free use PC’s towards the back. Shower and bathroom in Ex club is nice if you just arrived into London and your room is not ready and you really need a shower, it’s in the back near the PC’s. Fresh towels and shower amenities are in the bathroom too.

They shut down the pool and spa at this location; I asked why they did that and was told not many guests used it. I did, and I miss it. They have a living well small workout area by the main entry from the parking garage/airport. It's better than nothing.

In closing

This has got to be the stingiest Hilton on earth. Few employees for such a huge hotel and the grounds are not very well kept. Hallways and older rooms are dated and very worn. They want your money but don’t care about your comfort. They know folks like me will be back because it’s so darn convenient to the terminal.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by brian714
Avoid the main front desk check in if possible.
If you check in upstairs, and are Gold or Diamond, they will generally put you in rooms 7401-7448 (4th floor, new wing) which happen to be the closest exec rooms to the lounge.

They almost never upgrade HH members to Ex Level, no matter of your status, they usually say those rooms are full.
Having stayed here countless times in the last 6 months, I have never yet been refused an upgrade (started off at Gold level) although I expect it could happen

Executive floor rooms are newer and bathrooms are nice. 2 complimentary Glass bottles of water are bedside and some tasty cookie crackers on the desk with tea/coffee and amenities.
The cookies have disappeared as of two weeks ago. Amongst other cutbacks noticed are: no more hot chocolate in the room; no fishcakes at breakfast; often the iron is missing in the exec rooms; there used to be 4 girls on duty in the lounge now only 2 or maybe 3 at best.

They shut down the pool and spa at this location; I asked why they did that and was told not many guests used it. I did, and I miss it.
Me too. Closed last October. New management cost cutting, I guess. I would love for them to re-open it with a refurbished pool - I'm sure, given the correct pricing and marketing, that airport staff membership could make it pay.

This has got to be the stingiest Hilton on earth. Few employees for such a huge hotel and the grounds are not very well kept. Hallways and older rooms are dated and very worn. They want your money but don’t care about your comfort. They know folks like me will be back because it’s so darn convenient to the terminal.
Tell me about it. I've complained many times.

Last edited by astralclouds; Aug 17, 2005 at 1:20 am
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:48 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed there in March 2005 as flying LGW to TPA. Have to agree the rooms and some of the corridoors are looking a bit tired. I spent most of my time in the foyer relaxing and drinking with friends. Most of my stays have been positive. However as I fly BA, and am SPG gold, will probably stay at the Meredien which has just been bought buy starwood. This is a nicer hotel and connected to the north terminal where BA Operate from.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Originally Posted by obs
However as I fly BA, and am SPG gold, will probably stay at the Meredien which has just been bought buy starwood. This is a nicer hotel and connected to the north terminal where BA Operate from.
I think you will find that Arora Holdings, the new owners of Le Meridien, are afilliated to the French Sofitel brand and not Starwood.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
If they deny an upgrade to ex. floor, why not ask if you can pay to be upgraded. When the expected answer "yes" comes, ask why, if the paid upgrade is available, they denied you the elite upgrade. Might be interesting.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:00 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by astralclouds
I think you will find that Arora Holdings, the new owners of Le Meridien, are afilliated to the French Sofitel brand and not Starwood.
Clearly I was misinformed. Looks like the hilton still get my business then.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
If there's a looooooonnnng check in line at the front desk (as there was on my last stay), the lounge check in is much quicker.

From what I could see, the Exec Rooms are MUCH superior -- new and gleaming vs. the old ones being more dark and dreary. It's just worth bringing a baggage trolly with you if you have anything at all to carry, given the new wing of the hotel where the Exec Rooms are located a mile away (almost figuratively speaking, ha, ha).

A FOOD TIP: the concierge suggested two local restaurants for consideration. The one I can definitely vouch for is the Gatwick Manor (http://www.gatwickmanor.com). The concierge will call a cab, which you meet at the lower lobby of the hotel and for 10 pounds drives you the short (5-10 minutes) to their door. They are also often willing to meet for a pick up time for the return.

The food is wonderful and the atmosphere is fantastic – an old English pub. You pick a table yourself, get your drinks and order your food at the bar, and tell them your table number. The food is delivered and the service is fantastic.

On the way there the cab driver noted that the other option we’d been given was basically bad food that had too many fly-in customers who didn’t know any better and ended up going there. Glad we made the right choice.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Thought I would update the thread. Just stayed one night before flight back to the States. Used the 5/10/15 promotion free night stay and was upgraded to the new wing of the hotel. As a Diamond, be sure to check in at the Exec Lounge on the 4th floor to avoid the long lines in the lobby. Restaurants are fine, pricey but hey, it's London, right? Cheaper options also available in the South terminal. Agree with BigLar below. Very nice - happy hour had quite a food options. The signage is a bit misleading and the walks from lift-elevator-lounge are a tad long, but all in all a very nice stay. ^

Originally Posted by BigLar
Sorry about your experience, but we stayed there once (to make an early flight) and our experience was much better. Fabulous exec lounge, plenty of food, drink, munchies, etc. Delicious breakfast, and table-served, no less!

Room was fine (and clean). Downstairs bar/ lounge was pretty pricy, so we wandered through Gatwick Village and plenty of places to eat/drink/smoke at reasonable prices.

I'd go back again, but apparently you wouldn't.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Your right..this Isnt a Hilton that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling..lol..The Gatwick LeMerdian is a MUCH better choice!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:35 am
Suspended

Hilton Gatwick, London

Hi all,

Anyone ever stayed at the Hilton at Gatwick airport? If so what is it like? As Hilton Gold what are the chances of getting an upgrade on a Sunday night?

Cheers
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:05 am
Community Director Emerita

Here's a recent thread that might be helpful:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462921

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.