Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by ejs621
It looks like Hilton is dealing with a system wide problem.
That's a very diplomatic interpretation.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by deant
You can still make award reservations at some hotels. Tried the Hilton Waikoloa Village and everything appears normal (exception is, as has been for some time, some "premium" rooms are less than the standard rooms.
The lower cost premium redemptions are not a positive sign. Some people and bloggers have done the math and have figured out that for almost all of the premium booking rates, the HH point cost is a fixed monetary conversion at a VERY low value (something like 0.003-0.004 dollars per point-maybe less). Hence, those weird Premium redemption costs. That these premium rooms price for LESS than the standard rooms is indicative of how UTTERLY terrible the corresponding standard redemption rate (I.e. You are getting LESS than 0.003 per point). I'd rather not shell out 30k HH points for, say the Hilton LAX that would cost $99. This is certainly consistent with my general observation that most Hilton properties are not worth redeeming points at (the high value aspirational redemptions ae where it is at).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Let's hope we get a satisfactory resolution to this mess really soon. I posted to the Hilton HHonors page on Facebook my displeasure with these changes. I'm very tempted to change my upcoming Hilton property reservations for the rest of the year to Marriott properties, but before I do I'll give them a few days to show me what my loyalty really means to them...

Last edited by Arthurrs; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:42 am
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
I am happy I was able to book a 7 night stay at the Grand Wialea in Maui a few weeks ago, for the week before Thanksgiving.

It looks like it is time now to:

1. Jump ship to another program.
2. Forget the loyalty programs altogether (particularly for those of us who visit small towns/cities where SPG is virtually non existent) and just shop for the cheapest rate with whoever on priceline/hotwire.

One thing is for sure, my Surpass card will not be coming out of my wallet for a while.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by starflyer
And as a result I've moved my travel to different programs. I average over 30 hotel stays and fly over 100K miles each year - the two travel programs I go out of my way to avoid are Hilton and Delta (not because of their service, but because of their frequent traveler program).
My approach to Hilton and Delta is also to minimize use of their programs under ordinary circumstances.

Originally Posted by rdchen
I agree its totally unacceptable for HH to not take ownership of this issue but remain silent on it. My other concern is that if I am right, i.e. all these were caused by miscommunications rather than done intentionally, the lengthy discussion in this thread might have inadvertently gave HH some ideas on how to devalue the program further.
This isn't the result of a miscommunication issue. This is the natural, predictable result of Hilton management decisions to increase the more immediate term expected profitability that they dervive from Hilton HHonors. One way to achieve that result (and do so far more predictably in terms of delivering to company "budgets" and related "rewards" for management) is to decimate the value of the points in the account and monetize the points further by pushing for lower value-per-point level redemption purposes.

Hilton HHonors has its ideas to devalue the program even without this thread.

The blame for this situation rests squarely with Hilton Worldwide (corporate parent/brand owner) and its Hilton HHonors management.

Originally Posted by AUDirt
I wouldn't worry about that. Hilton seems to be fairly successful at devaluing their program on their own.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by starflyer
That, Delta's commitment to provide a best-in-class frequent flyer program, and $1 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I have no idea how Hilton is going to officially communicate the "right" answers when they actually figure out what they are doing, but it will be interesting to watch.
Either way, Hilton management will have instituted a huge devaluation of the points in customer accounts. Playing Delta SkyMiles-like communication games with customers won't change a thing: Hilton HHonors is to the US hotel industry customers what Delta SkyMiles is to the US airline industry customers. That's not good any way they try to slice and dice it.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I just booked a premium award (king junior suite) for the Hilton LAX (I know it's not a glamorous location) for 17K (plus change) HH points. Actually it will be 1K less when my My Way bonus posts . It's for this Friday. The standard room is 30K points. Now, on other days that I checked, it's going for over 50K per night. I just hope they don't think that it is an upgrade award. I know it's a rediculous system when I can get a premium room for less than the normal redemption rate , while at other hotels, the premium room sells for multiple times the noraml redemption rate for a standard room.
It might seem ridiculous until you recognize how this is as I noted above:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is the natural, predictable result of Hilton management decisions to increase the more immediate term expected profitability that they dervive from Hilton HHonors. One way to achieve that result (and do so far more predictably in terms of delivering to company "budgets" and related "rewards" for management) is to decimate the value of the points in the account and monetize the points further by pushing for lower value-per-point level redemption purposes.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Let's hope we get a satisfactory resolution to this mess really soon. I posted to the Hilton HHonors page on Facebook my displeasure with these changes. I'm very tempted to change my upcoming Hilton property reservations for the rest of the year to Marriott properties, but before I do I'll give them a few days to show me what my loyalty really means to them...
Are you a Hilton HHonors Diamond? Hilton is targeting such customers first and foremost with this kind of devaluation of points in the accounts. It was made clear months ago when Hilton decided that there is no guarantee to provide Hilton Diamonds with guaranteed standard award level redemption nights at properties that were only marketing "premium" award level redemption nights at the time of (attempted) booking.

Hilton HHonors management is at least as intent as Delta SkyMiles management to treat the "loyalty" programs customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced. It continues to show with this move.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beltway
Their move in this direction is a real negative, and in an area where their rewards rates arguably made Hilton points worth accumulating in lieu of SPG points. Sic transit....
+1, not just real negative, really horrible.

Originally Posted by luv2go
So, a friend at work has been working on a trip to FP for next September, hoping to stay a few nights in Moorea, and was dismayed by seeing no availability for 50k per night.
Well I predicted this prem room thing, but never predicted that Hilton would convert some properties to premium only. This is utter BS. They essentially have devalued their points by how ever many times more the prem rooms costs. Complete BS.

This situation which fleeces customers serves Hilton HQ's more immediate term material interests far more than it serves independently-owned HHonors-affiliated properties. Now you (ought to) know where the responsibility for this customer-unfriendly situation rests: with Hilton Corporate (the parent/brand owner).

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hilton HHonors management is to the US hotel industry what Delta SkyMiles management is to the US airline industry.
I agree 100%, as I've said this too. But it gets scarier by the moment in how strikingly similar the changes are:

1. Not announced. Remember the major Asia devaluation at Delta? No announcement and pts devalued up to 125%

2. No response by DL mgmt. Where is HHR? If this is a policy change as of Oct 3, where was my email/letter?

3. Spun as an "enhancement." I'm already sick of DL using this, now I can't wait for HH to say some crap about "you want it, you got it." I lost RT the same way.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Given the scale of this devaluation, I think that is very harsh on Delta
Don't put it past DL. I don't think changing the 72 hour rule and then blaming PM/DM's can get any lower.

Originally Posted by roder
If this devaluation proves true, Hilton can kiss all of my business good bye; just as I have done with Delta.

I am getting ready to book my honeymoon at the Conrad in the Maldives for next October, and will be deeply disappointed with Hilton if I can't do it because of grossly inflated award prices without any warning.
I already decided to dump diamond for the changes. Now I'm happy making my stays 0 next year at Hilton. I've been waiting for the right moment for status match to SPG/Marriott, now the time is right.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:49 am
Suspended

This Hilton HHonors redemption night pricing scam is Hilton's equivalent of Delta SkyMiles' mileage ticket pricing scam. Hilton may end up trying to talk its way out of this situation, but the matter will remain that Hilton management is intent upon delivering for themselves a financial return by gutting the value that customers get from points redeemed. That is what this is all about, and it impacts more than just those properties which are "Premium Room Reward only" year-round.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:18 am

Both BBN and Moorea show no award availability at all anymore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that this means some type of change!

Man, if our marriage can survive this honneymoon planning fiasco, I think we can survive anything! Planning a wedding is easy in comparison!

Also, thanks to everyone for not making me feel so alone in this! I've been in touch with Hilton since the day they changed the rates and am so happy to hear I'm not the only one upset. At this point, we'll sleep on a pool chair all week if it's 50,000 points!

***Nevermind - it's always available for 1 night (Moorea) but never for 4 nights...and BBN has no award rooms available anymore....I'm so confused!

Last edited by voc6; Oct 14, 2011 at 8:22 am Reason: update
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by voc6
. At this point, we'll sleep on a pool chair all week if it's 50,000 points!

***Nevermind - it's always available for 1 night (Moorea) but never for 4 nights...and BBN has no award rooms available anymore....I'm so confused!

Neither are available..you can "see" availability if you AREN'T signed into your account. If you select the room when you are signed out, it will prompt you to sign in, and then tell you that the room is unavailable. Hopefully they're fixing this mess!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Are you a Hilton HHonors Diamond? Hilton is targeting such customers first and foremost with this kind of devaluation of points in the accounts. It was made clear months ago when Hilton decided that there is no guarantee to provide Hilton Diamonds with guaranteed standard award level redemption nights at properties that were only marketing "premium" award level redemption nights at the time of (attempted) booking.
Yes, indeed I've been a Diamond member for a few years. These recent actions are particularly disappointing, makes me question whether Hilton wants me to keep the dozen or so remaining stays I have booked with them through the end of the year. I have a 1/2 million points that I'm just about to use for a nice trip with the family next summer, then this crap happens!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Both BBN and Moorea show no award availability at all anymore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that this means some type of change!
You confused me now - this "no award" situation has been there for a while, and not restricted to Moorea and BBN, but for all Hilton properties. This problem only occurs when you log in as a HHonors member.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Most of the discussion here has focused on the problem of getting standard rooms at the destination properties in Polynesia, Maldive, etc. But I dont think Ive seen anyone address this question:
Im a Diamond member with a family and in the past I have been able to make points reservations for rooms that would fit a family, even though none of the standard rooms at the hotel would do so. That has been done for me at the Budapest Castle Hill Hilton, Paris ADT, London Trafalgar, Molino Stucky Venice, Mauritius Hilton, Conrad Hong Kong and Singapore, just to name a few.
But now I am envisioning this phone conversation when I try to redeem points:

ME: I need a room with points for 2 adults and a child at a Cat 7 hotel for 50,000 points.

Diamond Desk: Sorry, but standard rooms only fit 2. You are now going to have to pay 150,000 points per night for a room that will accommodate 3.

If thats going to be the case, man am I going to be mad!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by lewende
You confused me now - this "no award" situation has been there for a while, and not restricted to Moorea and BBN, but for all Hilton properties. This problem only occurs when you log in as a HHonors member.
Sorry for causing more confusion! I'm new to Hilton (just switched in July to save for my honeymoon so I'm totally clueless). However, I'm logged into my account and for BBN is still says there is no award availability at all. I'm only Gold, so not sure whether this makes them unavailable, but as of right now, nothing is available.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:44 am

Sorry for causing more confusion! I'm new to Hilton (just switched in July to save for my honeymoon so I'm totally clueless). However, I'm logged into my account and for BBN is still says there is no award availability at all. I'm only Gold, so not sure whether this makes them unavailable, but as of right now, nothing is available.
Right...there has been no award availabilty for two days now. You may or may not see availability but you can't book it for most properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.