Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lewende
Unfortunately, one thing I came to realize these days is: those CSRs are basically staring at the same screen as we do online booking. Thus you can barely obtain any meaningful answer from them...
not true....there have been times where a good diamond agent has worked wonders for me & got me some great diamond force redemption bookings....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:09 pm

Wow, one generic post by Hilton and the outrage dies down. As of today, they've still devalued Hilton Honors points, making them almost useless.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
on the other hand making upgrades cheaper will reduce your comp upgrade chances as diamond - would you prefer that? As a reference spg suite awards are twice the amount of standard room ones.
You are correct about the chances of a comp upgrade. However, I would much prefer to have a guaranteed OWB rather than take my chances on a comp upgrade.

Also, no matter what the rate differential, unless it is insignificant, is, I doubt many people would take advantage of a "premium" room. People that have significant points are probably Diamond and will take their chances at most properties. Those that have less points would probably not use them on an upgrade (unless, of course, it is a very special occasion) and save them for a future stay.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by deant
You are correct about the chances of a comp upgrade. However, I would much prefer to have a guaranteed OWB rather than take my chances on a comp upgrade.

Also, no matter what the rate differential, unless it is insignificant, is, I doubt many people would take advantage of a "premium" room. People that have significant points are probably Diamond and will take their chances at most properties. Those that have less points would probably not use them on an upgrade (unless, of course, it is a very special occasion) and save them for a future stay.
Exactly!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rwalia99
Wow, one generic post by Hilton and the outrage dies down. As of today, they've still devalued Hilton Honors points, making them almost useless.
The gullible find comfort where they wish to find it. The devaluation will still have hit big time and is sticking in the main.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
making them almost useless.
:silly:

I'm happy to take them off your hands.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
:silly:

I'm happy to take them off your hands.
At this point, I would love to be able to sell them to you too.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:33 pm

As of today, they've still devalued Hilton Honors points, making them almost useless.
Agreed that they have been devalued by way of the elimination of the Diamond "Force", creation of the Cat 7 etc.

However, the points are worth a whole lot more today than they appeared to be a day ago.

But if you do feel they are "almost useless", I will also be glad to give you some SPG, Marriott or Hyatt points that you must consider much more useful in exchange.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Agreed that they have been devalued by way of the elimination of the Diamond "Force", creation of the Cat 7 etc.

However, the points are worth a whole lot more today than they appeared to be a day ago.

But if you do feel they are "almost useless", I will also be glad to give you some SPG, Marriott or Hyatt points that you must consider much more useful in exchange.
My 300,000+ points were the key to my plans to spend a week in paradise. As of today, they won't get me anything close to that. I do believe that they've been significantly devalued. And I also think that with the developments this week, 300,000 SPG/Hyatt points are better than the equivalent Hilton Honors points.

Last edited by rwalia99; Oct 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Although I hate the fact HHonors devalues its points, it still has the top notch loyalty program in the industry, and the only other chain comparable to HHonors is PC/IC system, both of which offer free breakfasts, free wi-fi, and spacious upgrades for elite members. The best part is: I can earn points from business trips to remote deserted towns on HI, HGI, and HIX, and later on spend those points on high-end premium resorts such as Hilton, WA, and IC.

Even if it will cost more points to redeem a Hilton or WA stay after this devaluation, it is what it is, and sometimes you just cannot win all.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:54 pm

My 300,000+ points were the key to my plans to spend a week in paradise. As of today, they won't get me anything close to that. I do believe that they've been significantly devalued. And I also think that with the developments this week, 300,000 SPG/Hyatt points are better than the equivalent Hilton Honors points.
That doesn't seem like a fair exchange for the SPG. Do we actually own HH points? If we do I am happy to exchange 340K HH points for 150K SPG points. Any takers?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:58 pm

No one will disagree that one HHonors point is worth significantly less than SPG, Hyatt or Marriott.

However, you can not compare 300K HHonors points vs 300K in SPG / Hyatt or any other program. With HHonors you get a multiple of miles as compared to SPG or Hyatt. Just look at CC spending. For HHonors you basically get 3-6 points per dollar spent. For SPG and Hyatt you get 1 point per dollar spent. For staying at a hotel, at Hilton you can get up to approximately 29 points (if I recall correctly) per dollar spent. Hyatt and SPG are significantly less.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:15 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Notenut
Well, so much for having the "best customer service in every interaction". I sent an email directly to Hilton Customer Care with specific questions along the lines of my earlier post, and I received a response with the exact cut & paste answer that was posted in post # 236. So I wouldn't expect many direct answers to the questions posed to HHonors Representative.
At least HH directed them to post on this thread, even if it is boilerplated. Think about how their post must have come about - this thread and all the connected blog entries, emails and tweets have gotten the attention of HH. This is a small victory for us.

But if you're like me and would like to see HH take on a truly interactive role on FT I do hope you all make your voice heard on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...endations.html

As I've said before, it's up to us to create the demand. And perhaps if there is a groundswell of "petitioning" FTers then just maybe HH will empower the HHonorsRepresentative to be more active here - and dare I say it - even proactive.

To you naysayers and scoffers and those resigned to take whatever you're handed I say this: if we accept the status quo that is exactly what we'll continue to get.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by sk3

To you naysayers and scoffers and those resigned to take whatever you're handed I say this: if we accept the status quo that is exactly what we'll continue to get.
Exactly!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sk3
...And perhaps if there is a groundswell of "petitioning" FTers then just maybe HH will empower the HHonorsRepresentative to be more active here - and dare I say it - even proactive.
Given the 10 year history in this forum of too many pillorying, castigating, and even abusing official HHonors reps (of which there have been several, going back to Adam Burke and even before), if I were HHonors, I'd be leery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.