Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mnredfox
First off, HHR thanks for posting.

But, your response sounded a lot like another corporate poster on the DL forum: SMI. What I mean by that is that only a little bit of info was given, and still leaving much doubt and skepticism in my mind.

For instance:

1. You indicate that there will be some std room availability coming back. But can you comment on this availability compared to before the introduction of premium rooms? We all know the requirements for Hilton is that 5% of the rooms must be set aside for awards. Does this mean one property could have 4.9% rooms at premium and only 0.1% at standard whereas before it was 5% at standard?

2. Please reassure me that your introduction of three tiers isn't a move from the DL playbook. We all know what DL did, introduced 3 tiers as an enhancement and then reduced low awards drastically. Why do I forsee this coming?

3. Can you please give us an update on the diamond special arrangement?
also, can you please tell us when we can book reward rooms again????
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
The only comment from Hilton in this forum on this whole issue was a generic 'press release' type statement. Don't expect much in the way of answers to specific questions.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And perhaps certain folks on the HHonors forum could be more civil and polite to these representatives, instead of shooting, butchering, and quartering the messengers.

It's not only more pono, it's more effective.
Indeed, as shooting, butchering and quartering the delivered messages is so much more telling.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:23 am

I have this strange feeling that Hilton will just let this drag on hoping initial knee jerking reactions die down and their devaluation process quietly completes. Yes I am very pessimistic on this and I hope I am dead wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:53 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Yet another example of the wisdom of "burn them as you earn them" and don't treat these airline and hotel programs as if they will provide you a lifetime of luxury travel in the sunset of your life.

Earn them in a year, burn them all within a year or so. If the program changes, move to a different provider. Don't be held hostage by a warchest of points that become the equivalent of a wheel barrel full of Deutsche marks that won't buy a loaf of bread.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum; AS MVP; Delta Silver
I could be crazy but isn't this program setup how it should be for those of us with diamond status? (no offense intended if you dont have diamond status I just don't want to add more competition to the upgrade queue than necc)

We are still eligible for upgrades as before, and premium rooms are priced so high that only those willing to pay exorbitant prices in points to guarantee upgrades will eat up any supply which at these rates should be low. Btw which groups of people have enough points lying around to fry 170-300k points per night...most would be diamond (or Hilton loyalists that have accrued points over many years.).

The scenarios that would make me upset would be:
1. Limit supply of standard rooms (Hilton claims this hasn't happened)
2. Make getting an upgrade overy competitive (you'll never get a nice room ithey are too cheap) by making premium rooms too cheap.

What woud i love Hilton? Tiered point redemptions....if I'm diamond I would like you to discount my redemption rate vs if I am gold or blue or whatever.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
Yet another example of the wisdom of "burn them as you earn them" and don't treat these airline and hotel programs as if they will provide you a lifetime of luxury travel in the sunset of your life.

Earn them in a year, burn them all within a year or so. If the program changes, move to a different provider. Don't be held hostage by a warchest of points that become the equivalent of a wheel barrel full of Deutsche marks that won't buy a loaf of bread.
Spot on as to earn and burn.

I always thought for those who saved they were refered to as the "Golden Handcuffs." Perhaps in this forum they ought to be call the "Diamond studded Handcuffs." @:-)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by Growlie
Tiered point redemptions....if I'm diamond I would like you to discount my redemption rate vs if I am gold or blue or whatever.
+1, this is exactly what I told a DD CSR the other day. Another suggestion I made is to give a diamond member 2-level upgrades instead of 1 upon check-in.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by magic111
Spot on as to earn and burn.

I always thought for those who saved they were refered to as the "Golden Handcuffs." Perhaps in this forum they ought to be call the "Diamond studded Handcuffs." @:-)
Sigh, how I regret not listening to my old NWA brethren saying "burn baby burn."
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:02 pm

Hilton Award Reservation is back online

BBN and Moorea still show astronomical points for any room!!!

But everywhere other than FP shows standard room availability, such as Grand Wailea (has 80K redemption) and Los Cabos (has 50K redemption).

I guess this new premium award scheme ONLY impacted FP properties.

WA Maldives also shows no 80K points award availability. I am not sure it were the case for next 1 year...
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Wanted to stay at Hilton Dubai Jumeirah next week using a couple of still valid Q3FN's. 2 weeks ago no Standard rooms but Glasgow HHonors would organise a special arrangement. Email from US DD next day saying hotel has now added "Premium rooms" so that i can book these from my points - and use my Q3FN's at another time. 150k a night!! No thanks. Using the certs at Abu Dhabi but would rather be at Jumeirah - p****d off
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
BBN and Moorea still show astronomical points for any room!!!

But everywhere other than FP shows standard room availability, such as Grand Wailea (has 80K redemption) and Los Cabos (has 50K redemption).

I guess this new premium award scheme ONLY impacted FP properties.

WA Maldives also shows no 80K points award availability. I am not sure it were the case for next 1 year...
Looks like they did fix Hilton Los Cabos and Hilton Maldives but FP are still showing 150K+ and there is not room for WA Maldives. Maybe they will eventually be fixed?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Looks like they did fix Hilton Los Cabos and Hilton Maldives but FP are still showing 150K+ and there is not room for WA Maldives. Maybe they will eventually be fixed?
Nope, I think they will stop right there.

This is aligned with Hilton BBN's textbook-style reply to me - from that point of time I am pretty sure that for BBN and Moorea, standard award room will be no longer in picture.

Anyway, looks like your trip to Cabos is okayed. At least now I know many other premium Hilton Resorts (e.g., WA Grand Wailea and Hilton Maldives) are not plagued by this premium award scheme.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
Nope, I think they will stop right there.

This is aligned with Hilton BBN's textbook-style reply to me - from that point of time I am pretty sure that for BBN and Moorea, standard award room will be no longer in picture.

Anyway, looks like your trip to Cabos is okayed. At least now I know many other premium Hilton Resorts (e.g., WA Grand Wailea and Hilton Maldives) are not plagued by this premium award scheme.
Los Cabos was purely my panic move to burn points at the last minute seeing other category 7 hotels were getting affected one by one. It was really not my choice but I think I am going to book it anyway for now since I can always cancel. Feel really bad I leaked my Bora Bora trip plan to my kids before it was finalized. I might just pay for a stay in other resorts in FP.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
I might just pay for a stay in other resorts in FP.
Just curious, which FP resort is on your mind now?

If you are a HHonors Gold/Diamond member (I assume you must be coz otherwise it would be very hard to save 290K points), it would make most sense to stay at Hilton BBN and Moorea by taking advantage of elite member benefits.

My plan B is to go to IC Thalassor, coz I am also a PC member.

If you are aiming to burn those points, why not book Hilton/Conrad Maldives or WA Grand Wailea? Those are my destinations after FP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.