Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
I had huge problems with finding any Points rates when I'm logged in all night - I think is partialy an IT-Problem. No problem when I'm not logged-in. Oh and I get a pop-up that tells me that I can only book point redemptions via calling Hilton at the moment.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:49 pm

97,000 point "twin plus" rooms at Cat 5's and NO rooms at all for 2 years at the category level is HH's lowest moment. Isnt it true that at SPG the physical plant determines the "standard" room? at HH, the standard room is now determined by people and their software.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
A data point:

I plugged in some dates for the Arc de Triomphe Paris. Bottom line, you can get 1-2 nights at the 50K rate, but once you plug in 3 or more nights, everything disappears as far as the eye can see.

Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
If the ridiculous "premium room" devaluation is true, what are our recourse? Exodus amass at the same time? Marshall up, hhonor members...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ_GLOBAL
If the ridiculous "premium room" devaluation is true, what are our recourse? Exodus amass at the same time? Marshall up, hhonor members...
Like the old saying goes, "Vote with your wallet." I suspect if a few thousand diamonds, and a few thousand Golds start leaving, along with a few thousand silvers, they MIGHT rethink things.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
This is a massive devaluation. If this stays, I'm officially moving everything off my Hilton Surpass and cancelling the card. Then moving over to SPG.

I was about to book a stay at a Hilton in London. Just cancelled those plans.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by toadman
Like the old saying goes, "Vote with your wallet." I suspect if a few thousand diamonds, and a few thousand Golds start leaving, along with a few thousand silvers, they MIGHT rethink things.
Unfortunately it takes time for Hilton to realize people have been leaving having been turned off by their tactics. I mean how would they know? I cancelled all my Hilton CC today but I am still Gold. On the second thought maybe not since I said bye bye to the Surpass card which gave me gold. I did tell the customer service I cancelled all three cards because Hilton devalued their rewards. BTW, am I book domestic Hilton for my uncle to stay or I myself have to check in?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:15 pm

I wrote this earlier, but everyone should really try writing/tweeting/calling Hilton and complaining (respectfully). If enough people speak up, maybe something might be done (think Netflix and their Qwikster spinoff mulligan recently).

I've written my email to HHonors and Hilton, and started engaging their Twitter reps. As others have indicated, to me this is truly an "I will leave Hilton completely" dilemma (not just grandstanding). If you do not like it, please let Hilton reps know; don't just assume others will do the complaining. If enough people cry out (especially you Diamonds out there), maybe they'll revise their policy.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL PM
I just cancelled my 4 pending stays with Hilton. I have notified ALL of my co-workers what is going and 3 of them have done the same thing after reading this thread.

This has ruined my honeymoon, which like many around here, I was days away from booking. I'll never spend another dime at Hilton until they fix this this BS, and do my best to make sure no one at my company does either...and I was a light weight compared to some of them.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andysiz
I wrote this earlier, but everyone should really try writing/tweeting/calling Hilton and complaining (respectfully). If enough people speak up, maybe something might be done (think Netflix and their Qwikster spinoff mulligan recently).

I've written my email to HHonors and Hilton, and started engaging their Twitter reps. As others have indicated, to me this is truly an "I will leave Hilton completely" dilemma (not just grandstanding). If you do not like it, please let Hilton reps know; don't just assume others will do the complaining. If enough people cry out (especially you Diamonds out there), maybe they'll revise their policy.
It looks like they responded to you on Twitter, let us know what they say!

And I agree, this is an "I will leave Hilton" type of devaluation. We aren't talking about a 10% deval or something similar, this is massive, basically making the most interesting properties in the entire portfolio unavailable (I mean, really, it would take close to a million points to get a week at some of the properties...)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by oenophilist
It looks like they responded to you on Twitter, let us know what they say!

And I agree, this is an "I will leave Hilton" type of devaluation. We aren't talking about a 10% deval or something similar, this is massive, basically making the most interesting properties in the entire portfolio unavailable (I mean, really, it would take close to a million points to get a week at some of the properties...)
If you look at Bora Bora, 4 nights would now cost in excess of 600,000 points (King or twin lagoon view suite) whereas before the change you could get an AXON award (4 nights) for 145,000 points.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Don't forget Hilton's Facebook feed...just read a good one over there.

Hilton recently announced a policy where HHonors members can exchange points for premium rooms at resorts like this new property. Unfortunately, what they didn't tell we Diamond members is that some properties, including many resorts, now have no standard rooms bookable on points - only premium rooms, which cost hundreds of thousands of points more than the standard bookings (two that are now a factor of ten more expensive are Bora Bora Nui Hilton Resort, also Hilton Moorea Lagoon and Spa.) You'll need close to a million HHonors points to book a week at one of these properties. That'll be slow going, considering your maximum earn as a Diamond is 29.5 HH points to the dollar (this includes the 9:1 ratio you earn on the Hilton Surpass credit card).

It's too bad Hilton chose to sneak in this detail in the dark of night rather than being upfront with its HHonors members about it (the trouble cropped up when people on the Flyertalk message board went to book rooms only to find all the standard awards had been removed. Some people had been saving points to plan honeymoons, etc. and had not been warned of this change in advance - a real slap in the face to what should be Hilton's most valued customers, in my opinion.)

There was discussion this might have been an error but it has now been confirmed as Hilton's new official policy. More info here: http://bit.ly/r7N8pt

Right now the problem appears to be isolated to resorts, but this decimates the real stars of the HHonors program: the GLON and AXON awards (under which HHonors members can book stays for a discounted amount of points - Google to find out what those words mean.) Personally, I expect the problem to spread, as Hilton hasn't confirmed the new "standard room blackout" is confined to resorts - I expect to run into this problem in London and Hawaii soon.

I recently re-qualified as a Hilton Diamond, but this will likely be my last year with the program. I'd urge those of you upset by this change to contact Hilton's corporate HQ:

7930 Jones Branch Dr., Ste. 1100
Mclean, VA 22102
Phone: 703-883-1000
http://www.facebook.com/hilton

I'm sure they'll delete the above ASAP, so others need to post remarks to be sure something's always showing there about this issue.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:17 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
I only just read this thread now since I had no plans to book a Premium Room Reward...

The issue that Hilton is re-categorizing rooms from "Standard" to "Premium" which results in massive points increases is not a matter solely affecting Premium awards. This affects the entire program. Think of all the all-suites properties for instance.

To the mods: could you please amend this thread's title to convey the magnitude of this issue? Perhaps with the addition of "Major Devaluation in HHonors Program" or something like that?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sk3

To the mods: could you please amend this thread's title to convey the magnitude of this issue? Perhaps with the addition of "Major Devaluation in HHonors Program" or something like that?
+1
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
+1
+8 now that my 8 night award stay has been devalued to 1 night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.