Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: A few
voc6 - in all seriousness it may be worth your while contacting the media on this one. big bad evil corporation ruins the honeymoon of the ordinary person trying their best to make the best of a bad economy in using points... these tough economic times etc. don't mean to make light of your situation at all but this is the kind of salaciousness that makes front page stories and will help the rest of us out by really putting these guys on the back foot. i would consider contacting media outlets and put that crying back on when you do so
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
voc6 - in all seriousness it may be worth your while contacting the media on this one. big bad evil corporation ruins the honeymoon of the ordinary person trying their best to make the best of a bad economy in using points... these tough economic times etc. don't mean to make light of your situation at all but this is the kind of salaciousness that makes front page stories and will help the rest of us out by really putting these guys on the back foot. i would consider contacting media outlets and put that crying back on when you do so
I have a similar story and have contacted consumerist - the more the merrier.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
+1. Even if Hilton does not change their new policy, maybe they can at least make some exceptions for those, like you, who were most egregiously affected.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
[QUOTE=voc6;17268671]
If you request, I can checked with our reservation to nogociate a special room rate for you? QUOTE]

Ummm, I am curious about what special rate they can offer you. I know you are looking for the best case scenario, but it won't hurt to let your other alternatives open.

Anyway, Moorea's rate is about 60% of BBN's (say, an OWB in BBN sells at XPF 55000 only sells at XPF 35000 at Moorea). So if Moorea can offer you a good rate, it makes more economic sense to book Moorea with cash and use those points to WA Grand Wailea or Maldives, if this premium room scheme only impacts FP hotels, as Hilton claims.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:50 pm

[QUOTE=lewende;17268764]
Originally Posted by voc6
If you request, I can checked with our reservation to nogociate a special room rate for you? QUOTE]

Ummm, I am curious about what special rate they can offer you. I know you are looking for the best case scenario, but it won't hurt to let your other alternatives open.

Anyway, Moorea's rate is about 60% of BBN's (say, an OWB in BBN sells at XPF 55000 only sells at XPF 35000 at Moorea). So if Moorea can offer you a good rate, it makes more economic sense to book Moorea with cash and use those points to WA Grand Wailea or Maldives, if this premium room scheme only impacts FP hotels, as Hilton claims.
Ha! you wish. I checked Maldives as well, same situation. Maldives was available as late as Tuesday (11th) but now nothing is available (You can still choose 37.5k for a TWIN BEACH VILLA but as soon as you select that you get the message:"Your selected rate is no longer available. Please re-select rooms/rates."). It almost like someone at Hilton is going through all the category 7 and make changes one by one.

Last edited by yoyo; Oct 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 pm

I feel like I keep falling on deaf ears! I just switched to Hilton in July (when I got engaged and we decided we would go to FP for our honeymoon), so I'm only Gold with them and I don't think they care if you don't have the top status. I'm so tired of people on the phone telling me, "Well they have rooms available but it is a very popular destination so they are all booked" when I know that is BS. Prior to switching to Hilton, I made a spreadsheet with all of the hotel options and how many points I could earn in time (lol, I'm a spreadsheet dork!) and in July the King lagoon view suite (BBN) and king garden bungalow with pool (Moorea) were listed as the standard rooms (I was comparing different types of rooms at all the chains!).

I hate complaining and wedding planning is stressful enough in itself! However, I may contact consumerist to see if that helps with anything. At this point, I'm just so drained....I read these boards but even just reading them brings tears to my eyes every time (and I'm not usually a crier!). And I don't even know how to complain because I still don't even have enough points in my account yet. (The cc points haven't even posted yet because I just got the card in the mail 2 days ago....go figure!) I should have opened the Starwood card or Priority Club.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Similar -

For Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa, some room types are available at standard point rates when searching, however once logged in, NONE of the room types are available for ANY point rate, for ANY time period for the entire year 2012.

This is even not a super high end location. Their standard rate is about $300 for the regular "deluxe king" or "deluxe twin" rooms.

Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Same as posted by others earlier in this thread:

Tried booking a Saturday night stay next month at the Hilton Whistler Resort and Spa. All room types are available at standard point rates when searching, which then all promptly disappear once one is selected and I log in. All that remains are basic rooms at the cash & points rate ($81 + 25,000 points for a $130 room).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

I PM'ed Gary Leff and Ric Garrido last night to make sure they were aware of this development. They're now on the case:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...st-properties/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...ilton-resorts/

Mommy Points has also picked up on this. The more pressure, the better:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...ion-happening/

Last edited by beltway; Oct 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This situation which fleeces customers serves Hilton HQ's more immediate term material interests far more than it serves independently-owned HHonors-affiliated properties. Now you (ought to) know where the responsibility for this customer-unfriendly situation rests: with Hilton Corporate (the parent/brand owner).

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hilton HHonors management is to the US hotel industry what Delta SkyMiles management is to the US airline industry.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by voc6
I read these boards but even just reading them brings tears to my eyes every time (and I'm not usually a crier!). And I don't even know how to complain because I still don't even have enough points in my account yet. (The cc points haven't even posted yet because I just got the card in the mail 2 days ago....go figure!) I should have opened the Starwood card or Priority Club.
I'm very sorry. We couldn't afford to go to Bora Bora for our honeymoon but got married at a Starwood property and got a bunch of points there. Last month I converted all my points to HH hoping to finally make it there for our second anniversary. Got the stupid Surplus card and my final batch of points posted today for 6 nights. Now I don't even know what to do with all those points.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, CO/UA, WN
I'm a bit confused about this, particularly with regard to the WA Beach House. I've been saving up points for a stay there for quite a while now, and I just checked the availability in the off-season (summer), and I got a slamming deal. Here's a screenshot for reference:

37.5k at each Maldives location per night. It turns out I could book all 5 nights of my stay right now, and not even have to save any more points. I thought it was going to be 50k per night. Now I'm wondering if this will backfire, and if they'll cancel my reservation if I do book it...

There are some ridiculous redemptions though, up to 1.4m points per night. However, the King Water Villa looks good enough to me, and this rate is crazy low.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by caseyfriday
I'm a bit confused about this, particularly with regard to the WA Beach House. I've been saving up points for a stay there for quite a while now, and I just checked the availability in the off-season (summer), and I got a slamming deal. Here's a screenshot for reference:

37.5k at each Maldives location per night. It turns out I could book all 5 nights of my stay right now, and not even have to save any more points. I thought it was going to be 50k per night. Now I'm wondering if this will backfire, and if they'll cancel my reservation if I do book it...

There are some ridiculous redemptions though, up to 1.4m points per night. However, the King Water Villa looks good enough to me, and this rate is crazy low.
Why not book it? Assuming there is no penalty charge for canceling or changing, what have you got to lose?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by caseyfriday

Try to book it you will get an error message "Your selected rate is no longer available. Please re-select rooms/rates."
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, CO/UA, WN
Originally Posted by yoyo
Try to book it you will get an error message saying it is not available.
Yup. Wow, that sucks.

Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:08 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
In the last 10 days, I've booked four-night AXON awards at:

Conrad Singapore
Conrad Hong Kong
Conrad Tokyo

I also booked four nights at the Conrad Bali for 119,000 points.

Both the Hilton and the DT in Kuala Lumpur have some small premium point redemptions (like 25K for an executive room at the Hilton, 15K at the DT). Conrad HKG and KUL properties also have attractive points and money rewards.

Had no problems getting awards for any of the dates I wanted.

So IME, I'm not yet ready to say the sky is falling. I'm getting very good value out of my HH points at these properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.