Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
The 40k room is the base room, which comes at a fixed rate. Once it sells out, only higher rooms are available, and those are priced dynamically (at a rate of between ~.3 and ~.7cpp depending on the property). There's no connection between the 40k and the 101,532 rooms, because one has a fixed price, while the other is priced dynamically.
i get that part but why offer a room for 2.5 times the value of the base room when (a) a base room is available or (b) the difference between the 2 rooms is only $20????

This is just an indication of (a) how badly HH points have been devalued and/or (b) that you found a hotel that gives relatively decent cpp value when using the dynamic pricing.
i agree with both points....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:46 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Keyser
i get that part but why offer a room for 2.5 times the value of the base room when (a) a base room is available or (b) the difference between the 2 rooms is only $20????
Ime, in many cases, premium rooms will be available for just a bit more than the standard room, and some people may say, hey, why not go for the partial ocean view for 54,325 points instead of the dumpster view for 50k. So I'm assuming the good folks at HHonors show the higher rates on purpose to entice members to spend a few extra points on some of the "reasonable" premium redemptions. I doubt this is a smart strategy, because many people will be seeing the outrageous 181,536-type rates and perhaps think, wth, my points aren't worth anything. So showing the sky-high premium rates may erode loyalty, who knows? What truly befuddles me, however, is that HHonors hasn't found a way to suppress premium rates when they're lower than standard rates.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 am

Ime, in many cases, premium rooms will be available for just a bit more than the standard room, and some people may say, hey, why not go for the partial ocean view for 54,325 points instead of the dumpster view for 50k. So I'm assuming the good folks at HHonors show the higher rates on purpose to entice members to spend a few extra points on some of the "reasonable" premium redemptions. I doubt this is a smart strategy, because many people will be seeing the outrageous 181,536-type rates and perhaps think, wth, my points aren't worth anything. So showing the sky-high premium rates may erode loyalty, who knows? What truly befuddles me, however, is that HHonors hasn't found a way to suppress premium rates when they're lower than standard rates.
I don't know if things have changed in the past few months, but way upthread people were able to figure out a general pattern in the premium room pricing -- instead of a variable value redemption like the standard awards (no matter the price of the standard room, the cost is X HHonors points depending on the hotel category), the premium rooms seemed to price based on a fixed value (either ~0.3 cents per HH point or ~0.6 cents per HH point), which explained both the bizarre amounts (like 181,536 HH points per night) as well as below-standard award amounts at some hotels (which underscored the particularly BAD value proposition of a standard award at such a hotel -- you would be getting less than the minimal fixed value per HH point spent on such a standard award).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

I was looking at a hotel that ordinarily goes for 25K points/night. I'm going to be staying there two nights separated by 5 days. I found their penthouse suite for 10,500 points for 1 night and 198K points for the other. It adds an element of surprise and fun when searching for a property!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by took
All is fixed on my account now. Glitch that prevented award rooms is gone.
That's for coming back to report that, and have a good visit in Memphis.

HHonors online services are pretty buggy, and I mean buggy, unreliably responding to consistent commands, not just demanding an understanding of nuances by guests trying to make a booking.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I doubt this is a smart strategy
i agree....i think its a terrible strategy....

What truly befuddles me, however, is that HHonors hasn't found a way to suppress premium rates when they're lower than standard rates.
i guess its just a matter of time....
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:38 pm

Well I know that if a hotel has premium rooms available, Diamond cannot force a standard reward room anymore. I have first hand experience last year with Conrad HK. But now when I look at Hilton website it clearly did not mention anything about about it:

Diamond Reservations Guarantee:

The Diamond Reservations Guarantee allows Diamond members to place a guaranteed reservation at a sold out hotel when made 48 hours prior to arrival, except during Extraordinary Demand Date periods, when the hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by more than 10%, and for some hotels when the hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by more than 2%.

48 hour guaranteed room reservations can be made by Diamond members online at HHonors.com by clicking "Reward Stays" or over the phone by calling the Diamond Member desk or the Hilton Reservations and Customer Care office nearest you. These reservations are only applicable to paid stay reservations for all room types and reward stay reservations for standard rooms. Promotional Rewards are not applicable for reservations booked under the 48-Hour Reservation Guarantee. For complete details, click here.
Do they just forget to change their website wordings? Or did they have a change of heart?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Need
Well I know that if a hotel has premium rooms available, Diamond cannot force a standard reward room anymore. I have first hand experience last year with Conrad HK. But now when I look at Hilton website it clearly did not mention anything about about it:

Do they just forget to change their website wordings? Or did they have a change of heart?
You need to put on your slimy business hat to see thru the wording. The guarantee is applicable when the hotel is sold out. If there are premium rooms available, then it is not sold out, regardless of whether the room type you'd actually be able to force (standard) is sold out.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
You need to put on your slimy business hat to see thru the wording. The guarantee is applicable when the hotel is sold out. If there are premium rooms available, then it is not sold out, regardless of whether the room type you'd actually be able to force (standard) is sold out.
Hence it is a major devaluation and this whole prem room thing is a scam to make the DSA useless.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hence it is a major devaluation and this whole prem room thing is a scam to make the DSA useless.
And that would be why I am now down to Gold and trying to burn every last HH point I have to wipe my hands of them
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Oh.... I see now. Everything is so clear now.. wit this hat on. So even for paid stay, if all the rooms are gone except for the Presidential Suite, Diamond still cannot force a standard room, because the hotel is not sold out?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:47 pm

For Mother's Day weekend, I am taking the family to the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel. It is a Category 7 property so there are a few standard rooms for 50,000 points (all of which are just single bedded, so not suitable for families). But the premium rooms offered for the variable points were available for far less than 50,000 points per night when I made the reservation back in February. I got three nights for about 103,000 points.

I checked today and found out that the premium rooms now were even cheaper, for about 33,000 points per night. So I called Hhonors and they redid my reservation and I got about 4,000 points back. Plus, we are now going to be in a slightly nicer suite -- Partial Ocean View instead of Poolside View. The cash price for the suite is about $200 per night.

Just for kicks, I tried a reservation for a random weekend in the middle of July. The same suite then is $300 per night, but the points required have gone through the roof, to about 78,000 points per night for a Partial Ocean View suite. So the cash price difference between the shoulder season and the high season is about $100 per night (50% more), but the point difference is about 100% more.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So having never actually USED my HH points as I was hoarding them. I was informed of a trip to VA beach over labor day. Of course the premium is 109k per room per night. They lost out to the Sheraton, a steal at 7k per night with a guaranteed suite upgrade.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by etsmyers
So having never actually USED my HH points as I was hoarding them. I was informed of a trip to VA beach over labor day. Of course the premium is 109k per room per night. They lost out to the Sheraton, a steal at 7k per night with a guaranteed suite upgrade.
I think if you're going to where an SPG hotel is, that program is better as elite.
Old May 5, 2012, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And don't forget that the Starpoints accrual rate is tiny compared to HHonors at 2/$ rather than 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.