FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:54 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by starflyer
And as a result I've moved my travel to different programs. I average over 30 hotel stays and fly over 100K miles each year - the two travel programs I go out of my way to avoid are Hilton and Delta (not because of their service, but because of their frequent traveler program).
My approach to Hilton and Delta is also to minimize use of their programs under ordinary circumstances.

Originally Posted by rdchen
I agree it’s totally unacceptable for HH to not take ownership of this issue but remain silent on it. My other concern is that if I am right, i.e. all these were caused by miscommunications rather than done intentionally, the lengthy discussion in this thread might have inadvertently gave HH some ideas on how to devalue the program further.
This isn't the result of a miscommunication issue. This is the natural, predictable result of Hilton management decisions to increase the more immediate term expected profitability that they dervive from Hilton HHonors. One way to achieve that result (and do so far more predictably in terms of delivering to company "budgets" and related "rewards" for management) is to decimate the value of the points in the account and monetize the points further by pushing for lower value-per-point level redemption purposes.

Hilton HHonors has its ideas to devalue the program even without this thread.

The blame for this situation rests squarely with Hilton Worldwide (corporate parent/brand owner) and its Hilton HHonors management.

Originally Posted by AUDirt
I wouldn't worry about that. Hilton seems to be fairly successful at devaluing their program on their own.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by starflyer
That, Delta's commitment to provide a best-in-class frequent flyer program, and $1 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I have no idea how Hilton is going to officially communicate the "right" answers when they actually figure out what they are doing, but it will be interesting to watch.
Either way, Hilton management will have instituted a huge devaluation of the points in customer accounts. Playing Delta SkyMiles-like communication games with customers won't change a thing: Hilton HHonors is to the US hotel industry customers what Delta SkyMiles is to the US airline industry customers. That's not good any way they try to slice and dice it.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I just booked a premium award (king junior suite) for the Hilton LAX (I know it's not a glamorous location) for 17K (plus change) HH points. Actually it will be 1K less when my My Way bonus posts . It's for this Friday. The standard room is 30K points. Now, on other days that I checked, it's going for over 50K per night. I just hope they don't think that it is an upgrade award. I know it's a rediculous system when I can get a premium room for less than the normal redemption rate , while at other hotels, the premium room sells for multiple times the noraml redemption rate for a standard room.
It might seem ridiculous until you recognize how this is as I noted above:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is the natural, predictable result of Hilton management decisions to increase the more immediate term expected profitability that they dervive from Hilton HHonors. One way to achieve that result (and do so far more predictably in terms of delivering to company "budgets" and related "rewards" for management) is to decimate the value of the points in the account and monetize the points further by pushing for lower value-per-point level redemption purposes.