Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:56 am

Hi guys,

has anyone seen STAR vehicles at LAX recently - i.e. Mustang or Camaro Convertible?

I have a 3 week reservation soon and would need a Mustang as - for three weeks - a suitcase wouldn't fit into the camaro's trunk (with roof down, hence the convertible).

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Passed through LAX yesterday around 10:30AM. PC selection highlights were: several Chrysler 300S's, a bunch of brand new 2018 Camry SE's, a Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (brand new - 500 miles on it), and several Toyota Avalons. Other fare included generic and forgettable midsize SUVs, mostly Hyundais and Nissans. Someone was sitting an an Infiniti QX30 when I arrived, but there were no other "Premium" offerings available. No convertibles or coupes either.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:15 pm

I'm going to pick my car up on Sunday morning, I hope a Camry or Avalon is left for me
Old May 4, 2018, 11:07 pm

PC was pretty full on Thursday (3rd) at about 3pm. The usual crowd of Avalons, 300's and Equinoxi - not bad. I did spot a Merc GLA, Infiniti Q50 that was hiding at the end of the far aisle and a very aged QX50. I had a stroll over to 5* and Gold and it was pretty empty. Nothing really of note. There was also only a handful of cars in the Full Size section. However there was a LOT of cars queued up that had been returned and awaiting wash/clean etc so I guess it was just a matter of timing. Picking up another rental tomorrow but late - 11pm so not sure if it'll be stocked or empty. I'm thinking the latter.

bedeve, h4xdaplanet and Gammur like this.

Last edited by Bjam99; May 4, 2018 at 11:11 pm Reason: pictures
Old May 6, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Bjam99
5* had a couple of CX-5's (one of which I took) and three new Dodge Chargers. They actually moved one of them up to PC. There were a couple of newish Ford Escape Titaniums, a Ford Edge and some Rogue SV's. Not bad considering it's usually just Elantras and Corolla's over there.
i had a two week rental recently and as lowly 5* i observed the same thing... i ended up with an AWD CX5 which happened to be good timing given our trip up to Big Bear and the recent snow.... they also had a loaded Maxima but to your points, mostly midsized whitegoods available.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Havent rented with hertz in a while. But I recently remember that I get benefits with Amex Plat. I was thinking of reserving a Q60 Group E XBAR at LAX. What are my chances of getting a Q60, if not what cars will I be able to get?
Old May 6, 2018, 3:30 pm

Hmmm good question, I have seen some Q60's at LAX so they do defo have one, they even had one for sale there. But if they aren't available i'm not sure what else they'd give you. I haven't seen any Merc coupe's there for aaages and I'm really not sure they can count a Dodge Charger as 'similar'...or can they?
Old May 6, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Yea I couldn’t pass on the 40/day price. But that’s exactly what’s im thinking what else could they offer.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:30 pm

At this point, I'm going to assume that Hertz is single handedly purchasing ALL of Chrysler's 300's. Sunday night was 90% 300's. I waited around for a bit but as soon as someone took one, they just brought out another to replace it.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, WOH Globalist, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Bjam99
At this point, I'm going to assume that Hertz is single handedly purchasing ALL of Chrysler's 300's. Sunday night was 90% 300's. I waited around for a bit but as soon as someone took one, they just brought out another to replace it.
Your assumption seems to be correct for my experience as well. Picked up a rental this weekend at LAX and all we saw were 300's mostly. We were able to snag a Avalon (last one) but there wasn't many choices. Every time we pick up from SNA we also get a 300 as well. I wish they had more variety of cars.

On the bright side they had a GT-R on Sat morning (5/12). We weren't really driving a whole lot so decided not to upgrade.

Gammur likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:30 am

Oooh I saw that GT-R too but it was in the Reserved row. I'll absolutely be keeping an eye out to see if it sticks around.

Agree with the variety, as much as I personally dislike the 300- it's nice that there is at least a decent amount of what they count as a 'premium' vehicle available.. Especially given I nearly always just book intermediate, so I guess I can't grumble too much. I just saw a couple of reviews of the 2019 Avalon (with the absolutely obscenely oversized grille) - i'm hoping Hertz can do a deal on them though I doubt they'd have any new ones in anytime soon.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
I always booked 300 and got 300 at LAX when I was FS. Now I'm PC status and will rent for the first time with PC status. It looks like there are lots of 300 so if I just book intermediate, I would get 300 or better one in the PC section. Right?

Last edited by scienm; May 16, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old May 16, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scienm
I always booked 300 and got 300 at LAX when I was FS. Now I'm PC status and will rent for the first time with PC status. It looks like there are lots of 300 so if I just book compact, I would get 300 or better one in the PC section. Right?
No guarantee, but quite likely. Seems quite likely you'd get Impala, Maxima,etc.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Cymro
No guarantee, but quite likely. Seems quite likely you'd get Impala, Maxima,etc.
Do they have SUVs in the PC area? My corp. rate isn't cheap for SUV so I booked sedan. But I need SUV this time.

Last edited by scienm; May 16, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old May 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scienm
Do they have SUVs in the PC area? My corp. rate isn't cheap for SUV so I booked sedan. But I need SUV this time.
They often do but there's no guarantee. You'll probably find that, if you do find an SUV, it is more likely to be a Nissan Rogue or a Chevy Traverse at best, rather than a Buick Enclave, whereas a Lacrosse is quite likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.