Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Cymro
They often do but there's no guarantee. You'll probably find that, if you do find an SUV, it is more likely to be a Nissan Rogue or a Chevy Traverse at best, rather than a Buick Enclave, whereas a Lacrosse is quite likely.
I hope there would be Range Rover at the Ultimate Series that I can take $25+ per day.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Almost certainly not going to happen. Ultimate Series are (almost) never in the $25/35 per day slots.

If you like Land Rovers, you may get "lucky" with an Evoque in the PC area or maybe a Discovery Sport for $25 per day, but anything beyond that would be an unexpected bonus.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by scienm
Do they have SUVs in the PC area? My corp. rate isn't cheap for SUV so I booked sedan. But I need SUV this time.
I have seen Surburbans/Yukons from time to time in PC. Also occasionally an Explorer. If you're not in a hurry, it pays to wait around. They are always bringing in fresh vehicles, so you might get lucky. One time I waited around for 5-10 minutes and I snagged a Challenger R/T.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:03 pm

I'm so sad! I got a great deal on a month long rental and rocked up yesterday to find a Range Rover Sport sitting in PC! There was a Hertz person sitting in it with the engine running so I figured they were just getting ready to move it, so I walked just a bit further along but keeping my eye out on it and quick as a flash as soon as the Hertz dude got out, someone was there and took it! DAMMIT! So close. Shoulda just knocked on the window and asked. Next time....

But it was quite a good selection anyway yesterday. Less 300s than usual thank god, but a few Rogues and GMC's (Acadia and Terrain) a Wrangler, a Grand Cherokee , a Cadillac CTS and a new Outback. I was tempted by the Outback as I haven't driven one before. However I took a 2019 Jeep Cherokee mainly because it was pretty new, a well equipped Limited model with the technology and luxury package - pretty much fully loaded with everything you'd want and with a few road trips planned I want a mix of space and economy. Should do nicely for a month.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:40 pm

LAX on Saturday early evening. The shuttle was completely full, including standing space. PC had 3 cars. A 300C (already taken), Toyota Avalon, and an almost new Challenger R/T. I'm not ashamed to admit that I did a small jog to make sure I got the Challenger. Someone turned up in PC about 20 seconds after me, so I lucked out.

That was the only one left in the adrenaline collection that I hadn't tried. Fun car!
Old May 24, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mnic
LAX on Saturday early evening. The shuttle was completely full, including standing space. PC had 3 cars. A 300C (already taken), Toyota Avalon, and an almost new Challenger R/T. I'm not ashamed to admit that I did a small jog to make sure I got the Challenger. Someone turned up in PC about 20 seconds after me, so I lucked out.

That was the only one left in the adrenaline collection that I hadn't tried. Fun car!
Wow that's disappointing! I'm picking up Saturday AM. My first time w/ PC as I just got a status match from National EE. I honestly have never had a good experience with Hertz but with my new company our rate with Hertz is about 40% less than our rate with National...
Old May 26, 2018, 7:26 am

Renter qx80 suv for 3 weeks in August, what to expect

hi

Ive rented a q80 from the prestige collection. I need a 7 seater.
What to expect and what is the wisest take in this category in LAX?
I saw that the escalade and the discovery are an option in this category as well?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2018, 7:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
PC at LAX

Did my first PC rental (UPG'd from 5* due to UA 1K,) at LAX in April. Reserved a Premium on points and got a nce Maxima (though I did have an extra day charge thanks to BA cancelling my LAX-LHR flight.) A little high mileage (30k+) but nice ride.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
I was there may 10 around 18.00 hrs.
3 Chevy Equinox. 1 basic Nissan Roque.
1 Ford Edge wich i took .
That was all on suv's in the President Circle.
Think i go to National for my next LA rental in oct.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AS
Hi

I am renting an L SFAR class car in June and was wondering what type of car I am likely to get. I was really hoping not to get a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Also, what are the chances of being able to talk my way into renting a Volvo S90 if I am under 25?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by snowingairlines
Hi

I am renting an L SFAR class car in June and was wondering what type of car I am likely to get. I was really hoping not to get a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Also, what are the chances of being able to talk my way into renting a Volvo S90 if I am under 25?

Thanks
L SFAR is a midsize SUV and a Volvo S90 is a luxury (maybe a level higher) sedan, do you want an SUV or a sedan?

Unless you are PC and find one in the aisle, I doubt you can talk your way up to it. I’m not sure why you couldn’t get a S90 being under 25, why don’t you think you can?
Old May 30, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive
Originally Posted by 91StealthES

L SFAR is a midsize SUV and a Volvo S90 is a luxury (maybe a level higher) sedan, do you want an SUV or a sedan?

Unless you are PC and find one in the aisle, I doubt you can talk your way up to it. I’m not sure why you couldn’t get a S90 being under 25, why don’t you think you can?
S90 is part of the prestige collection, renters under 25 generally cannot rent from prestige collection and adrenaline collection. However, it really depends on the location and the staff.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by 91StealthES

I realize they are two separate types of car and sorry for the confusion in my initial message. I really wanted to rent the Volvo S90, but it is part of the prestige collection, which is supposedly off limits to those under 25. However, I had supposedly heard some locations are willing to let those under 25 rent prestige collection cars on a case by case basis and was wondering if anyone had any experience trying that at LAX. I had signed up to rent the L SFAR, since I did not know if I could get the Volvo.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:56 am

Picked up from PC on 5/26 at noon.

Choice was pick your color Avalon, 300 s, Q50, or Maxima SV. There was a Q70, an Equinox LT, and a Challenger sprinkled in. All of the Avalons and Infinitis appeared higher mileage and either reeked of smoke or deodorizer.

Settled on a Maxima with 6,000 miles, which was fine except the SV trim isn't that great.

Unimpressed with my first PC experience compared to National.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tstad
Picked up from PC on 5/26 at noon.
Unimpressed with my first PC experience compared to National.
I can't remember the last time I saw a Q50 or QX70 (or anything Luxury and above) in the National Exec area. I rent a lot from EWR and I generally make both a Hertz and National reservation and find that Hertz PC actually has luxury cars whereas National is better if you want something bigger.
Last 3 Hertz rentals were Q60 3.0t, Jaguar XE, Land Rover Discovery Sport
Last 3 Hertz rentals were Ford Ecosport, Mazda CX5, Mustang Convertible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.