Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matt85
I'm a PC member and use Hertz almost every week for business, but mostly on the east coast. Now we're planning a family vacation in Southern California for end of May. I'll need to rent a car and with a family of four and two child seats, probably will need a SUV.
Normally, I'd rent Intermediate and just pick anything in the PC section, which in the bigger location often includes SUVs. But I'm uncertain if that's the case in the LA location (arrving on a Tuesday afternoon). Would that be risky and should I go for a dedicated SUV category rental?
Limited experience at LAX since they introduced UC.

If you just need something tall with a hatch, you'll probably be OK. (That could include a minivan, or something smaller like a Nissan Rogue). If you could cope with something with a good sized trunk, like an Impala, I'd be confident enough to take a midsize.

If, however, you are 4 adults/older children plus two in car seats and you need a Tahoe/Suburban, or even a Traverse/Equinox, and particularly if you don't want to drive a minivan, you'd be taking a big risk.
matt85 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks. Sounds like this might be too risky. We don't need a Tahoe but at least an Escape/Equinox would be required.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I get PC for free, but still on the fence about coming to Hertz unless the rates are really significantly lower than what I pay National, because from what I am reading in this thread, it seems that Hertz puts lower quality cars in the PC area than you can find at LAX National Emerald Aisle, and makes you pay upgrade fees to take what National might put in the LAX Executive Aisle, or just bring you for free as a regular customer on request....which makes me wonder what Hertz puts in the 5* area, or the regular Gold area.
I've been looking at the 5* area lately just because it's next to one of the two Premium Upgrade/Ultimate Series areas (one on either side of the Gold Booth - one next to PC, one next to 5*). Trust me, there is never anything special in the 5* area.

As far as Presidents Circle at LAX, you will always find a lot of out of state plated vehicles (and they can be great or not so great). I've also noticed a number of vehicles that are California plated vehicles with Plate Pass stickers on the windshield. Since we don't have any toll roads or bridges in SoCal that accept PlatePass, I've been looking at where the vehicles are registered to in California looking through the paperwork in the glove box. All Northern California, mostly San Francisco. It is my contention that the station manager at LAX loves to dump any vehicle that isn't from LAX in the PC section. The best vehicles that are from LAX only go in the Premium Upgrade and Ultimate Series aisles (or are reserved aisles) from what I am seeing.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
President's Circle at LAX

At LAX earlier (Monday 7pm) and PC was filled with all kinds of cars, including loads of Yukon/Suburbans, various midsize SUV's, and some full size sedans. I also saw a full size pickup (Silverado?). Probably the best selection I've seen at LAX ever. I spotted a brand new 300S and took it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:43 pm

I've never rented from a location with UC before. I'm 5* and have had good luck at non-UC locations getting small upgrades. I usually book a full-size and then usually get a small SUV, etc.

I'll be coming to LAX (1-way rental from there) in a few weeks, arriving on a Saturday evening with (around 6pm) wife and 2 kids. A few questions:
  1. Out of habit, I booked a full size but it seems there is no point as I should only pay for a mid-size since the selection of cars for a 5* will be the same regardless of the type of vehicle booked. Is this correct? If so, I'll change my reservation and save some money.
  2. I don't care about anything too fancy, but am hoping to upgrade (if I do change my reservation to a mid-size). Ideally I'd upgrade to a mini-van, small SUV, or a full size. Most of the comments above are for the PC section of the lot. Does anyone have any idea what might be available for 5* members for upgrades to full size/small SUV/minivan categories on a Saturday evening?
  3. Am I correct that as 5* I can select any vehicle from the 5*, Gold, or lower areas? At a minimum, I'm hoping to come away with a full size vehicle so am hoping that even if there isn't a full size in the 5* area I'd be able to grab one from the Gold or full size aisles.
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:40 pm

1. Yes, that's correct.

2. No specific experience but it sounds like you have the right idea - small SUVs and minivans are reasonably common in U/C gold in other locations, but the majority of the lot (in my experience) will be midsize and full size cars. This can vary heavily between locations and times of the week.

3. 5* and Gold, certainly. Full size should be OK in theory - you have an "available" one class upgrade and there's clearly an FCAR available in the full size area, but I'm not sure on the program terms. Highly likely you'll get something from 5*, Gold, or even midsize anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:12 am

Hi, i Have a couple questions for two reservations coming up.
My first reservation I booked today, for LAX Apr 8-10. The rates dropped like $10/day just yesterday, and another $14/day for paying now, net was about $23 a day, so I booked that online about 10 minutes ago.
I ended up booking a intermediete size car, as I read that for UC, you need to book at least that?
My first question is, with President's Circle, which I have, do you still need to book an intermediate to use the Ultimate Choice lanes, or can you book a compact? I read that President's circle comes with a 1 class upgrade, but not sure how to go about using it, and if it will make you eligible for Ultimate Choice, or if they will just get you a car at counter instead.
I'm also heading to Burbank two weeks later. I haven't booked a car yet, prices have been around $25 a day for the pay now rate for the past week. May pull the trigger soon, don't know if it will go much lower.
But Burbank does not have Ultimate Choice, so I'm planning to just book a compact there, and use my 1 class upgrade, but again, unsure how to do that.
Also, are these decent rates for these locations? The LAX trip is Sun-Tues at $23.82/Day for Intermediate , and the Burbank trip is Fri-Sun for $24.70/day for Compact
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:31 am

Rate gap between B and C groups is usually very small. A compact would get you a free upgrade to intermediate so you'd be picking from the Intermediate lot and maybe regular Gold. For the small premium I'd always book intermediate- don't forget that the PC "Intermediate" option is much, much nicer than the Gold option.

An upgrade from B to C is generally not as a good as an upgrade from C/D to F - e.g., a Nissan Versa can be a C, while an Altima is the worst Nisasn you'll get as an F. Still not great but much more palatable.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Anyone seen any of the 2018 face lifted Mustang GTs in the fleet at LAX? Or are they still renting the 2017s
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Rate gap between B and C groups is usually very small. A compact would get you a free upgrade to intermediate so you'd be picking from the Intermediate lot and maybe regular Gold. For the small premium I'd always book intermediate- don't forget that the PC "Intermediate" option is much, much nicer than the Gold option.

An upgrade from B to C is generally not as a good as an upgrade from C/D to F - e.g., a Nissan Versa can be a C, while an Altima is the worst Nisasn you'll get as an F. Still not great but much more palatable.

Ah I see, so for a better ride at Burbank, I should still book an Intermediate, and then use the upgrade, which will be an F? Instead of Booking a compact, and getting upgraded to an Intermediate.
Never knew this, thank you!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by AJDem
Ah I see, so for a better ride at Burbank, I should still book an Intermediate, and then use the upgrade, which will be an F?
Not quite; for President's Circle members, a C Class booking is a guaranteed upgrade into D Class (Standard). However, there's often not many cars in this class in the fleet, so quite often, C upgrades into F.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Not quite; for President's Circle members, a C Class booking is a guaranteed upgrade into D Class (Standard). However, there's often not many cars in this class in the fleet, so quite often, C upgrades into F.
Oh okay, but a C Class is still intermediate. I should always book at least intermediate if I have president's circle right? Instead of Compact.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As a President's Circle member, I will always book the cheapest C Class or higher vehicle in locations where there is Ultimate Choice. At non-Ultimate Choice location, I will book whatever car class I feel like (factoring in that I may be eligible for a guaranteed upgrade).
Alclayno likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:37 pm

I have a Silvercar rental booked for $170/4 days. Wondering if it's worth gambling for a decent car in PC lot for $150/4 days. Worth it?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:56 am

There'll be nothing like an Audi there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.