Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hollandog
in this case, can the PC members take the teslas at no extra charge?
No. Depends on what you are reserved in. Just ask one of the agents in the Gold booth or that are outside of it. But they were more willing to let them go on Tuesday because of the shortage of vehicles. Still, nobody wanted them.
jmw and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:48 am

Hello all,

Background: have President's Circle at Hertz (also have President's Club at AVIS, Platinum at Enterprise, and Executive Elite at National).

Trip details: We have a trip coming up starting from LAX. There's 3 of us with possibly 4-5 large suitcases. I'm looking to rent at Hertz mid-late April 2024 from LAX (one way to SFO) because so far it seems to be giving the lowest prices (on top of giving LDW) for what they call a small SUV (Nissan Rogue or equivalent) (for some reason the Nissan Rogue is in the Mid-SUV tier at the other brands). Google suggests the Nissan Rogue can comfortably fit 5 large suitcases.

My questions:
  1. What kind of cars can I expect with the "Small SUV" category at Hertz? Will all these cars be able to accommodate 5 large suitcases?
  2. If not, how does the "Guaranteed one-car-class upgrades" for President's Circle work? Will I be guaranteed a free upgrade to a standard SUV?
  3. I know President's Circle gets to add their spouse as an additional driver, how about parents?
All suggestions / advice are welcome - especially if I should be looking to rent at another brand. Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk, murtabak !

1. US Hertz Fleet - What Makes/Models are Available? (2021 and onwards Thread)

Small SUV (Q4, IFAR, 2WD versions are tagged as Q5)
Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Escape
Honda CRV
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Compass
Mazda CX5
Nissan Rogue
Nissan Rogue Sport
Subaru Forester
Volkswagen Tiguan
Toyota Corolla Cross
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Venza
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Tucson
Dodge Journey (no longer being tagged as K6)

If you fold the rear seats down you should have enough room for five large suitcases and still see out the rear window. If you have passengers in the rear seat, it will be a challenge.

2. President's Circle upgrades are only good for sedans up to an upgrade to a full-size car. SUV are not eligible for upgrades. That being said, your SUV reservation makes you eligible to use Hertz' Ultimate Choice service; you can either take the SUV assigned to you or look for a superior vehicle in the eligible areas of the lot. Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

3. Free additional driver benefit is for spouse/domestic partner, not parent(s).

I'm not renting at LAX until they move out of their current location and shared operation with Thrifty and Dollar. There are other members in this thread who feel differently.
jmw likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:04 pm

Dear FlyinHawaiian,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Looks like I'll have to take the standard SUV then.

Also, you mentioned you're not renting with Hertz at LAX - please would you mind sharing which service have been using or would recommend? Thank you.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:16 pm
YXU

Programs: AC 50K, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Silver
Hi all, flying into LA next week and lookign to rent a car for a day or two. I searched through the thread but I didn't find a definitive answer;

I am a PC member, and my local hertz would normally give me any car I want. For my visit next week I would love to get a convertible (or other sports car), how likely am I to get it at the LAX location? Would I have better chances renting from the downtown location?

My plan B would be an EV instead, and from what I see in this thread it's not unlikely that I can get an EV.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by YXU
Hi all, flying into LA next week and lookign to rent a car for a day or two. I searched through the thread but I didn't find a definitive answer;

I am a PC member, and my local hertz would normally give me any car I want. For my visit next week I would love to get a convertible (or other sports car), how likely am I to get it at the LAX location? Would I have better chances renting from the downtown location?

My plan B would be an EV instead, and from what I see in this thread it's not unlikely that I can get an EV.

Thanks!
At the LAX location you will be happy to not arrive to a 2 or 3 hour wait to get a vehicle. The Gold Booth might help you out but again YMMV in terms of wait versus benefit (Ive waited 20-30 minutes at the gold booth, and Ive waited 2 hours at the gold booth). Not trying to be completely negative but this location has wild swings in availability of vehicles and congestion if you read back several posts, and also from my personal experience. In many cases your PC Status will mean little if nothing I have experienced here, some "regulars" who have an "in" seem to have better luck, but you will find most have written this location off and rented elsewhere at least until the Consolidated Facility opens when we all hope that the service/flow will be a whole bunch better.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:04 am

But if you have pc status and a gold canopy reservation you do not have to go to the gold booth? Or do you ? So then you would hhave no chance of waiting lines?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by onyx666
But if you have pc status and a gold canopy reservation you do not have to go to the gold booth? Or do you ? So then you would hhave no chance of waiting lines?
I believe the Gold Booth comment had to do with getting a better car than what's reserved and/or available in Ultimate Choice.

I was here three weeks ago at around 9:30 p.m. and the Ultimate Choice selections were abysmal. They also have some exceptionally rude staff here. I've also had bad experiences with National and Sixt at LAX. Add in the bus ride, and it's just not a great place to rent a car.
jmw likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:27 am

Any talk regarding further premium car replenishments this year? Some pretty sobering vehicle reports lately - it's a far cry from years past when one would arrive to see rows of RR Sports, GLE Mercs, AMGs, Porsche etc.

Nice to read a few new Mercs have landed recently.

Last edited by HighBypass; Apr 14, 2024 at 6:35 am
Old Apr 14, 2024, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by onyx666
At LAX often they have no vehicles in the various aisles so status means very little. Basically anyone with a gold canopy reservation stands in a line to get vehicles as they come in. When you get off the bus trip (which can take a fair bit of time if you land at T7, bus's are always full when they get that far around the "U"), and the Gold Board literally shows everyone as Gold Choice you can pretty much figure your screwed. God help you if you don't have a gold canopy and you have to wait inside, thats where good trips go to die..
jmw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.