Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I don't like to double book reservations, but after a nearly 1.5 hour wait at Hertz last year with few available cars to choose from, I wasn't in the mood for a repeat.
Why not sign up for the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program (or whatever it is called) and skip the counter?
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Why not sign up for the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program (or whatever it is called) and skip the counter?
IIRC: The first visit you have to go to the counter and then after itís clear sailing. They have to validate your credentials on the first visit from what I remember. I donít know if you could do it at the exit gate these days. Whenever I have an issue I just deal with it at the exit gate..
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Any chance of getting Tesla at PC? Or should I just book for a tesla?
Iíve never seen them in PC, but have had luck in scoring an upgrade once. I believe it was $25/day extra for a Model Y. Iíd recommend booking one if you want it guaranteed.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
IIRC: The first visit you have to go to the counter and then after itís clear sailing. They have to validate your credentials on the first visit from what I remember. I donít know if you could do it at the exit gate these days. Whenever I have an issue I just deal with it at the exit gate..
I think that is right, and I donít want to side track this thread, but no one should stand in line at Hertz or other major rental agencies at an airport location like LAX. I donít care much about the points, but heading straight from the shuttle to the vehicle (by way of the rental reservation boardÖ or based on what they texted/emailed you) is a must-have for me.

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN
Iíve never seen them in PC, but have had luck in scoring an upgrade once. I believe it was $25/day extra for a Model Y. Iíd recommend booking one if you want it guaranteed.
Only rented from them at LAX once in recent memory, but all the Teslas were clustered in one area, with more boring selections available in the PC aisle. For my next LAX rental I did book a Model 3.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
You can always go to an HLE or any location after signing up and have them validate without renting. I told my friend to do it and it worked fine.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think that is right, and I donít want to side track this thread, but no one should stand in line at Hertz or other major rental agencies at an airport location like LAX. I donít care much about the points, but heading straight from the shuttle to the vehicle (by way of the rental reservation boardÖ or based on what they texted/emailed you) is a must-have for me.
It would be nice if it worked like that these days but it doesn't. So often they are out of vehicles that require assignments and you will have to go to the Gold Office. I've heard plenty of people complain at LAX but it is what it is.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN
Only rented from them at LAX once in recent memory, but all the Teslas were clustered in one area, with more boring selections available in the PC aisle. For my next LAX rental I did book a Model 3.
I snagged a Model 3 off of PC out of BUR recentlyóso who knows, you might get lucky.

I did book a Model Y for my most recent LAX rental though, which was this past Friday. Didn't receive a Carfirmation and my name wasn't on the Gold Board. When I mentioned this to the Gold Booth agent, she said, "You must've booked a Tesla, huh?" Apparently Model Ys were popular that weekend, as they didn't have any charged ones immediately available. She said I could take a Model 3, but when I asked about a price adjustment, she said that the Model 3 was actually pricing out higher than the Model Y, so I just asked her to check how long it would take. She went in the back for a while, and when she returned, she told me it would be at least 40 minutes. So I asked about a Polestar, but she said they only had the hybrid ones (Polestar 1) and that it would cost more. I was about to take a BMW 4 series they had parked right next to the booth (along with some other BMW options and the aforementioned Polestar) when a Model Y suddenly pulled up out of nowhere. It was only charged to 69% but I was returning the next day and (correctly) guessed I wouldn't need to charge (returned with 24% after 110 or so miles of driving).

I didn't get a good glimpse of PC, but I did notice a CLA 250 among some less remarkable options.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Range Rover Sport , GT-H (convertible and hardback) + polestar all books or at LAX. Booked a range for next month
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro; United Premier Platinum
I thought I booked a midsize SUV but saw that the category is "small SUV". If I need the biggest "small SUV" that Hertz has at LAX, what models should I look for? I am primarily concerned about luggage space, with passenger comfort a close second. We will have 5 people and LOTS of luggage. The smaller SUV class is already pricey (weeklong rental), but the larger SUV categories are pricing out at over double.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I thought I booked a midsize SUV but saw that the category is "small SUV". If I need the biggest "small SUV" that Hertz has at LAX, what models should I look for? I am primarily concerned about luggage space, with passenger comfort a close second. We will have 5 people and LOTS of luggage. The smaller SUV class is already pricey (weeklong rental), but the larger SUV categories are pricing out at over double.
Minivan?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Do you have status? if not, just ask nicely at the gate person youll take the biggest suv they have and they'll probably offer you something for free . if you do have status just take the biggest suv from the lane
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:56 pm

$239 for 4 days over the holiday weekend? I couldnt resist to see what all the fuss is about. There seemed to be a LOT of Tesla's available and scattered around the lot. The Model 3 was about $40 more expensive overall. Not sure why. None in PC. I can't imagine we'll see them there for a while. Rest of the lot was okay, some new Kia Sportage's and way more Honda's than I've ever seen before - Accords and CRVs. Spotted a Chevy Bolt in PC too which I didn't even know was on fleet.
I can't believe Hertz has some of the Polestar 1's - There was two sitting in the upgrade aisle looking stunning on Friday night. I need to find me a good rate for a weekend of fun with one of them.

My review of the Model Y? I finally understand the fuss. I loved it. I'd absolutely shell out $45k for one but given they're currently $70+ it's too much for me but one day! In many ways the perfect rental car.

Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bjam99
$239 for 4 days over the holiday weekend? I couldnt resist to see what all the fuss is about. There seemed to be a LOT of Tesla's available and scattered around the lot. The Model 3 was about $40 more expensive overall. Not sure why. None in PC. I can't imagine we'll see them there for a while. Rest of the lot was okay, some new Kia Sportage's and way more Honda's than I've ever seen before - Accords and CRVs. Spotted a Chevy Bolt in PC too which I didn't even know was on fleet.
I can't believe Hertz has some of the Polestar 1's - There was two sitting in the upgrade aisle looking stunning on Friday night. I need to find me a good rate for a weekend of fun with one of them.

My review of the Model Y? I finally understand the fuss. I loved it. I'd absolutely shell out $45k for one but given they're currently $70+ it's too much for me but one day! In many ways the perfect rental car.

I had actually picked up a model Y this past Thursday from PC of LAX.
Personally not a fan of Tesla(former model Y owner) and took it anyways because I was betting on free super charging labor day weekend as it happened most of the holiday weekends in the past year.
Guess I lost the bet as it didn't happen.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:40 pm

Picked up @ PC lot this afternoon. Some ok stuff but not eye-popping.

Some cars available were:
- overload of Altima (SR, SV, basic)
- some Malibus
- 2 Chargers (non-HEMI)
- 2 Maxima (ants, dirty interior)
- Hyundai Ioniq (hybrid)
- boring small SUVs
- Infiniti Q50 (weed-mobile)
- Mustang CVT (non-GT)
- Camaro (non-SS)

The coolest car on the lot was a Shelby GT-H 5.0 CVT.

Last edited by radiolarian; Sep 11, 2022 at 6:41 am
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:29 am

Seems that we were there almost at the same time
later they brought a Genesis to the PC lot, but besides the Shelby no V8 coupe or convertible available.
Ordpc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.