Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:05 am

Wondering if you encountered any issues?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kswissreject
Wondering if you encountered any issues?
No issues at all, PC lot was full
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
P/U on April 4th about 4pm. PC half full. Took GMC terrain and found back seat area dirty. Went for the one Polestar but found note on window "no keys". Right then new allotment of vehicles we're being parked that included 3 to 4 SUV's. Took brand new Ford Edge (4 miles) over the Buick enclave St, that had 2k miles with pano sunroof and all the bells and whistles,, but smelled nasty.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 7, 2023 at 11:08 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Looks like staff is mixing up the PC and 5Star selection nowadays or something...

4/6 6PM
​​​​​PC: Pretty boring, notable being base Mustangs (coupe and convertible), Buick SUVs, and a CX5, Camrys, etc.
5 Star:Avalons, Polestar 2, Accord, Sonata

Further to the point, when I returned 4/8, PC was full...of Malibus, meanwhile 5 Star had Polestars and Mazda SUVs

Personally looked for an upgrade on pickup but looks like the 911s have been phased out. Greeter nicely offered a C63 or Polestar 1 for $65/day, no mile limit. Pretty obvious choice there. Managed 500 miles in 2 days at 35MPG!
Auto Enthusiast, oftech and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thursday, April 20, 2023 about 1 pm.

The computer system was down and everything had to be done manually. You couldn't take a car from President's Circle or anywhere else. It had to be assigned by an agent at either the Gold Booth or regular office. Lines were pretty insane and didn't move fast. All they could do at the exit gate was verify it was you & your assigned vehicle.

The outside line is the Gold booth. Inside the Hertz lines are with the yellow tape. It's a split line because it was so long.

Plenty of cars in PC, throughout the lot, but they weren't letting anybody take one on their own.

This was a Coachella weekend so it was very busy.

Fortunately for me, my longtime agents that I know were working VIP. I didn't have to wait in line but with the system down, it still took nearly half an hour to close out my return & re-rent the same vehicle. Had to present id & credit card initially to re-rent but the system temporarily came back up and my agent was able to get it through. Took another half hour to get through the exit gate. They did have Hertz agents directing cars into specific exit gate lanes & going up & down the line looking at paperwork & identifying any issues.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I picked up a car there last Saturday and as far as I know there were no computer issues, but the lines in the main building and gold booth looked the same, and the huge backup of cars to exit was the same as well. I just chalked it up to being a particularly poorly-run Hertz station.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I picked up a car there last Saturday and as far as I know there were no computer issues, but the lines in the main building and gold booth looked the same, and the huge backup of cars to exit was the same as well. I just chalked it up to being a particularly poorly-run Hertz station.
I was there on Saturday, March 18 about 12:30 pm. There were 3 cars in front of me. I've never been to Hertz LAX, and I'm there at least once a month, where they have had lines like this.

You were also there on a Coachella weekend.

Hertz LAX is a well run station. The issue is that it is overwhelmed with Thrifty and Dollar on the lot, which they were not pre-Covid, and now travel has returned to or exceeded what it was prior to the pandemic. This is probably the new norm for summer travel. Until everyone moves to the under construction consolidated car rental garage either later this year or early next year, it's going to continue to have issues (it's been delayed from the September opening I previously reported in this thread).
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Hertz LAX is a well run station.
Thank you for saying that. I don't have much experience with it since I've lived in L.A. the past 15 years; the only reason I have a rental car now is because my own car is in the body shop. But I will say it is one of the only Hertz rental locations that has not reached out to me in advance of a Platinum rental with details like how to cut the line or asking what kind of upgrade I'd like. Combining that lack of proactive customer service with the lines I saw at every touch point is what led me to think it's not well-run. I'm glad to hear from a truly frequent renter that these issues are not the norm!
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:27 am

Thank you for saying that. I don't have much experience with it since I've lived in L.A. the past 15 years; the only reason I have a rental car now is because my own car is in the body shop. But I will say it is one of the only Hertz rental locations that has not reached out to me in advance of a Platinum rental with details like how to cut the line or asking what kind of upgrade I'd like. Combining that lack of proactive customer service with the lines I saw at every touch point is what led me to think it's not well-run. I'm glad to hear from a truly frequent renter that these issues are not the norm!
I've been renting at this station for over 30 years. Since it was on the opposite side of Airport Blvd. It has more volume than any Hertz station in the world. It is a well run station. It has great agents. Many there for decades. You aren't going to get a personal experience here unless you are a VIP. It's simply too busy. Hertz corporate may have thought it was a good idea during the early days of Covid to combine the operations of all three of their car rental brands at the Hertz LAX lot when the daily amount of rentals was very low but now there are too many customers for the size of this lot (and it's large lot but it was built just for Hertz). I'm sure it will get better once the move to the consolidated car rental garage takes place. They will have more than double the space that they currently have at the soon to be world's largest car rental facility.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:47 am

You aren't going to get a personal experience here unless you are a VIP. It's simply too busy.
How do they define a VIP, if not a Platinum renter?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 3:55 pm

How do they define a VIP, if not a Platinum renter?
You are not VIP. VIP is a known customer at LAX that gives Hertz LAX a lot of business or is a celebrity of one sort.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:51 pm

You are not VIP. VIP is a known customer at LAX that gives Hertz LAX a lot of business or is a celebrity of one sort.
I understand what you're saying and definitely defer to your expertise regarding this station. But I have to question it being a very well-run site if they can't/won't/don't do ANYTHING to improve the customer experience for a Platinum renter.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:40 pm

Another poor experience at LAX today. Returned a car; attendants were yelling at people to just leave the keys and receipts would be sent later. I hung around to ask for my car to be closed out and was told they don't do that. Got an e-receipt a couple of hours later that was $80 higher than it should have been. Turns out they added the Fuel Service Option even though I returned the car full (and did not ask for the Fuel Service Option at reservation time, pick-up time, or drop-off time). I called the Platinum line and they said they can reverse the charge but not until Monday; the person on the phone also noted that she's been correcting lots of mischarges at LAX.
jmw and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
CalItalian , I too respect and value your contributions to this thread (and the site in general) but a Hertz Platinum member is a VIP member in Hertz' rewards program and the ugly truth is that service level agreements for that status aren't being met by LAX under the current (and temporary) conditions.

I warned my mom about these conditions a few months ago before her rental but it was still shocking to her how bad it was. DJ_Iceman , this is the response she received after reaching out to the Platinum Desk:

Good Morning:

My name is XXXX here at the back office and Platinum desk here at Lax airport. I just received your comments about your reservation ... and wanted to apologize for the lack of Platinum service here at the Lax airport. Unfortunately, due the airport restrictions/construction going on inside the airport itself, they have stopped us from delivering cars to the terminals for the incoming Platinum's. I am so sorry you were not made aware of that before you landed.

... I went in and add points to your membership, and they will add up to a free day on any upcoming rental. Also, I am not sure how often you fly into Lax, but if your give me at least a few days notice, I might be able to sneak a delivery into the airport without them noticing it. Usually the best days to sneak a delivery into the airport is Sunday-Thursday. Friday/ Saturdays are a little more difficult due to the influx of more airport police on those days. I can also try and make up for your inconvenience with a better upgrade on your next rental with us. Again, just let me know ahead of time, and I will work that out for you. Just let me know ... and I will do my best to make your next visit hassle free.

I apologize again for inconvenience and please reach out if you have any questions or comments,

XXXX

Back-Office/ Platinum Ambassador

Hertz Lax
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:45 pm

Picked up a car on 4/27 at approx 11:30 pm. Got to the lot and the PC section had a terrible selection of cars. Altimas, Camrys, rogues. If you name any basic rental car, they had it in the PC section. The Gold and 5* sections were more interesting. Gold had a mix of Kia Niro EVs and Mustangs and a Polestar 2. 5* had a Tesla Model 3 LR that reeked, a Kia EV6, and a Buick Enclave. Of course, I debated between the EV6 and Polestar 2, ultimately choosing the Polestar 2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.