Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:47 am

Just wanted to share my President Circle experience at LAX last December, this was the line for the PC-Choiceline only we had to wait 1 hr for our car, no choice at all (just take the next car comming)

I guess that hertz just throwaway too many PC-status for free, its just ridiculous

xienon likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
That photo (and other recent posts/experiences, including mine) are why I've moved my rentals to Avis until the situation improves.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
That photo (and other recent posts/experiences, including mine) are why I've moved my rentals to Avis until the situation improves.
Havent tried Avis yet, any recent experience / story about that ? Do they have a choiceline at all ?

I have a executive elite status at nationalcar, but sadly their prices are more than doubled for most of my date's ..
MASTERNC likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Said it before, Ill say it again. The Absolute WORST location in the whole system IME.. Could just about be the worst rental location of all the car companies, and thats saying something when in my younger years I used Fox etc.
Just rented from National LAX (our Corporate stuff switched from Hertz to National Jan 1, Thank God) with a one way to SNA. Was in and out at National in like 3 minutes, shuttle bus was the 3rd to arrive (could just be coincidence, but I did not see a Hertz bus, just a couple of Avis/Budget and then National). Suffered through Hertz for the last 2 years, with this location being absolutely a sore thumb. One can only hope with the consolidated facility coming live sometime in 2024 that this well help this location out, I sincerely feel bad for the folks that work here as they must just about be under constant assault with customer complaints..
AndDee and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kanexxz
Just wanted to share my President Circle experience at LAX last December, this was the line for the PC-Choiceline only we had to wait 1 hr for our car, no choice at all (just take the next car comming)

I guess that hertz just throwaway too many PC-status for free, its just ridiculous
Extremely rare.
I rent from Hertz LAX every month. Every month for years.
Have never run into a long line at the Gold booth.
When the Hertz system goes down, from time to time, it can get difficult.
During the summer or major holidays - especially Christmas -or events like an NBA all-star weekend or Coachella it can get very busy. But I've never seen more than a dozen people in the Gold booth line.

Anyone with Gold not just PC can use the Gold Office (Gold booth).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 20, 2024 at 2:34 am Reason: Removed image
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:00 am

Picked up PC, LAX this afternoon.

The PC lot was fully loaded, but the majority of vehicles were SUVs. There were only a few models of sedans available.

Examples:
- One Dodge Durango
- Few Ford Explorer
- Few Nissan Rogue
- One Nissan Murano
- One Mini Cooper (CVT)
- Multiple Chevy Malibu
- Multiple Nissan Altima
- One Hyundai Sonata
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:27 am

LAX Automated People Mover Likely Delayed Until 2025

The consolidated car rental facility won't open until it does.
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...GJnP-il68GknTk
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:19 am

Was at Hertz LAX yesterday.

PC was fully stocked and only a couple of people looking. Best vehicle one BMW 300i. Otherwise, if you like stripped down Tucson's, Escape's and Rogue's, it was your day. Even with a number of out of state plated vehicles in PC, which normally garners some interesting vehicles, nothing.

Chatted with a few of the longtime agents I know.

They're keeping all their Tesla Y vehicles. All EV's they were getting rid of are gone. They now have more reservations for the EV's than they have remaining in the LAX fleet. New gas powered vehicles just started arriving. Expect a number of new vehicles between now and June. Just what nobody knows but certainly SUV's since last summer was a disaster with not enough.

Consolidated car rental facility may open before the automated people mover. It has bonds on it, too, and although it isn't fully complete yet, they may have to open it without the automated people mover.

All 5 lanes at the exit gate were open but the backup was about 7-8 cars in each lane. Took about 20 minutes to get out.

Arbor Vitae has reopened. Repaved and widened just east of Hertz to La Cienega. But La Cienega is still under construction from Arbor Vitae to Century - in front of the new consolidated car rental facility.

Last edited by CalItalian; Feb 9, 2024 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:36 pm

So people who reserved an EV will be disappointed by the gas guzzling SUV they are likely to be offered? Gas in CA is always very expensive compared to the rest of the country. I guess it's a customer service issue that Hertz is willing to risk.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:00 am

I'll be arriving at LAX on the afternoon of Friday 22 March. I've reserved a standard SUV both at Hertz and at Avis. In the fine print of both reservations it says they reserve the right to charge a no-show fee if I don't pick up and haven't cancelled.

I'm PC at both Avis and Hertz. The rates I got are similar (slightly better at Avis). Now, I have two questions:

1) In practice, will they charge the no-show fee?
2) If I need to cancel one in advance to avoid the no-show fee, which one should I keep? I've rented both from Avis and Hertz at LAX before and have been happy with both, but those rentals were a couple of years ago and it seems both have gone south since then...

I believe the Avis Select & Go has been discontinued at LAX, while Hertz LAX still has Ultimate Choice. I want a SUV, so I guess the question is whether Avis PC will get me a decent upgrade or whether I'm more likely to get a good SUV at the Hertz PC aisle?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by zerem
I'll be arriving at LAX on the afternoon of Friday 22 March. I've reserved a standard SUV both at Hertz and at Avis. In the fine print of both reservations it says they reserve the right to charge a no-show fee if I don't pick up and haven't cancelled.

I'm PC at both Avis and Hertz. The rates I got are similar (slightly better at Avis). Now, I have two questions:

1) In practice, will they charge the no-show fee?
2) If I need to cancel one in advance to avoid the no-show fee, which one should I keep? I've rented both from Avis and Hertz at LAX before and have been happy with both, but those rentals were a couple of years ago and it seems both have gone south since then...

I believe the Avis Select & Go has been discontinued at LAX, while Hertz LAX still has Ultimate Choice. I want a SUV, so I guess the question is whether Avis PC will get me a decent upgrade or whether I'm more likely to get a good SUV at the Hertz PC aisle?
You don't need to go to PC. You're going to be assigned a vehicle since you've reserved a Standard SUV. PC has had a terrible selection of SUV's as of late - rarely any standard SUV's or higher. Plus this is spring break. SUV's are in serious demand.

Never had a no show fee charged. Ever. But even the day of the reservation, you can modify it to another date. Then cancel it.
Auto Enthusiast and zerem like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:18 pm

Because of the Rolling Loud California festival at SoFi and surrounding areas + spring break, this was the situation at Hertz LAX Tuesday afternoon 3/12. They told me the lack of vehicle situation started on Monday. PC's were being lined up in the President's Circle area (not a long line but a line nonetheless) . There were maybe 10 vehicles in PC - some being passed over. Whomever was first in line had first right of refusal of anything coming into PC as they were slowly adding vehicles. The situation was expected to last all week.
Reports from other major agencies were they were also short on vehicles so this was not just a Hertz issue.

jmw, Auto Enthusiast and zerem like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
And, as always, there are a fleet of electric vehicles that no one wants. Just looking at that lineup of Teslas while people wait in line for a car, ANY car, that takes gas is kind of hilarious.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
And, as always, there are a fleet of electric vehicles that no one wants. Just looking at that lineup of Teslas while people wait in line for a car, ANY car, that takes gas is kind of hilarious.
in this case, can the PC members take the teslas at no extra charge?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:42 am

Thanks for the info CalItalian, I guess I'll keep both reservations and see what's been reserved for me in the Avis app around the time of arrival before I decide which shuttle to choose...! (The Hertz app seems to be so abysmal that I haven't bothered downloading it.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.