Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Really no excuse to have computer issues especially on a known busy event weekend... but Hertz IT is also complete garbage.

My experiences there fortunately ave been good with renting and avoiding lines/issues as I'd be able to go to the PC area and pick a car and go out quickly... even if the selection of vehicles in the PC area is average/boring. I've also seen some more interesting cars in 5* depending on what they park where.

Returns - be careful as others mentioned with them saying they'll scan in and close later. I've had to get improper fuel charges fixed there also, as well as additional fees since they didn't close the car out for a few hours and it triggered an extra day charge as I returned it just shortly before a 24hr cycle and it sat there a while waiting for them to scan it in.
highlanderfil likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Better experience today, but still not what I would call good. Booked a small SUV since that was the cheapest class available; was preassigned a low-mileage Jeep Grand Cherokee and send the spot number in advance. Showed up, got to the vehicle, and found out it did not have satellite radio (granted I didn't request this or pay for it, but typically the upgraded cars have it). So I went back to the gold booth and waited in a short line, and the associate (who was wearing a "Hertz 30-year employee" pin) listened to my request and started typing away at her computer. It took awhile, and eventually I offered to just take the Jeep, but she asked if I was okay in a car rather than an SUV. I said that was fine, then more clicking ensued. Eventually she asked for help from one of her coworkers, as she had found a Chrysler 300 that supposedly had satellite radio, but it wasn't letting her click the button to activate it. The coworker just kept saying "Well, you have to click to activate it," to which my associate would reply "But it's not letting me click it!" Eventually, as I was now late for a meeting, I just said I'd take the 300 and hope for the best on the satellite radio.

I got in the car, drove to the exit (which thankfully didn't have a line of cars extending back into the lot this time) and picked a gate. My mistake, as the renter at my gate had done SOMETHING wrong and the gate attendant kept leaving her booth to go ask questions of people in other booths. I was the third car in line at this booth, but spent 40+ minutes watching cars approach then pass through all the other lines. Of course the lines were just long enough that I couldn't back up and switch lanes, but eventually I made it to the gate. To her credit, the gate attendant apologized for the delay and I told her it wasn't her fault at all. I may have regretted saying that when it took another few minutes for her to scan my rental record, scan the car, inspect the car, look at my driver's license, and do who-knows-what for another few minutes. But eventually I was out, and to my pleasant surprise the satellite radio is working (at least so far).
Old May 9, 2023, 9:16 pm

Man, I can't wait for my car to get out of the body shop so I can stop dealing with Hertz at LAX. Returned last week's Chrysler 300 twelve hours ago; still no receipt indicating it was returned. This week's vehicle is a Ford Flex; I got an email last night saying that was the car and asking me to write their platinum email address if I wanted to request a different vehicle. I did, saying I'd prefer something more luxurious, if possible. Guess what vehicle was waiting for me this morning. At least there were no huge lines to get out the exit gates, although I was still there for almost ten minutes because, according to the agent at the gate, the platinum folks forgot to process the rental correctly so she had to keep scanning, typing, scanning, typing...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:49 pm

I've got a 4 week reservation for my family summer holiday starting mid-July. As a Gold Plus PC member, can I reasonably expect a larger SUV (e.g. Ford Explorer) in the President's Circle?

Currently I have an MVAR reservation as a minivan initially seemed liked the best option for me my wife and three kids. Later I've also made a PCAR reservation as it was significantly cheaper, and we may be able to get a large SUV or minivan from the PC anyway.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
1:15pm on 5/31

PC - good variety of standard sedans, couple polestar 2, Model 3, Acura TLX and a variety of random midsize SUVs, 1x Nissan Frontier

Gold - similar to above except just full size sedans and a Chevy Bolt. 1x Honda Ridgeline, 2023 Honda CRV

All larger vehicles not on aisles.

Last edited by kxc262; May 31, 2023 at 11:37 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 9:08 pm

Acura TLX???!!! I have never, in decades of renting cars, seen an Acura. Even a Honda is a rare sight, since they are the one manufacturer who doesn't dump vehicles on the wholesale market in order to artificially inflate their sales numbers.

On a related note, today I returned my 15th car in as many weeks at the LAX Hertz. My own car is finally out of the body shop! On the whole, the LAX station didn't impress me all that much with their car selection, platinum upgrades, or customer service. There were occasional situations that impressed me, but my final conclusion is that this is a below-average location overall.
kxc262 and oftech like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Acura TLX???!!! I have never, in decades of renting cars, seen an Acura. Even a Honda is a rare sight, since they are the one manufacturer who doesn't dump vehicles on the wholesale market in order to artificially inflate their sales numbers.

On a related note, today I returned my 15th car in as many weeks at the LAX Hertz. My own car is finally out of the body shop! On the whole, the LAX station didn't impress me all that much with their car selection, platinum upgrades, or customer service. There were occasional situations that impressed me, but my final conclusion is that this is a below-average location overall.
Agreed with your sentiments. I think the Honda/Acura cars are from used car sales. The Ridgeline (model year 2020) is plated in FL and has an aftermarket anti-theft system. There was also a brand new CRV in Gold.
Auto Enthusiast and oftech like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
Agreed with your sentiments. I think the Honda/Acura cars are from used car sales. The Ridgeline (model year 2020) is plated in FL and has an aftermarket anti-theft system. There was also a brand new CRV in Gold.
There have been a lot of Accords and Civics at rental companies that had never been there before, all of them likely either lease returns or second-hand purchases. Makes sense - if you're Hertz heading out to a Mannheim or a similar auction, you'd much rather buy a Honda than a Ford. Obviously, fleet sales are different, but when you're short on cars and go off-process, a brand known for reliability is much better than one that constantly struggles with it.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman

Been seeing quite a bit of Accords at SFO and LAX. On top of Accords, I've been seeing a number of Pilots and HRVs.

Extra interesting bit - I saw an Stelvio also on the the lot at SFO.

Last edited by turbox3; Jun 1, 2023 at 9:58 am Reason: Added bit on sightings
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by turbox3
Been seeing quite a bit of Accords at SFO and LAX. On top of Accords, I've been seeing a number of Pilots and HRVs.

Extra interesting bit - I saw an Stelvio also on the the lot at SFO.
I had recently rented a 2023 CRV hybrid, weren't impressed by the car compare to the venza, but they are a pretty common sight at hertz these days.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by LJ7006
I had recently rented a 2023 CRV hybrid, weren't impressed by the car compare to the venza, but they are a pretty common sight at hertz these days.
When we moved to Minnesota from Michigan last year, my ride from a HLE was a 2017 (!) CR-V. It was the vehicle with the most cargo space in the category I could find. Good shape despite some fairly significant (for a rental) miles. Crap to drive, but what cute-ute isn't, really?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:53 am

I am planning rent a convertible Mustang in LAX. But the price is about double to a medium sedan.
Are Mustang or other convertibles commonly seen in PC section?
If we talk about the best chance to have full slots of cars to choose rather than an empty carpark at hertz LAX, what day and time in a week will it be?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by CaesarNg
I am planning rent a convertible Mustang in LAX. But the price is about double to a medium sedan.
Are Mustang or other convertibles commonly seen in PC section?
If we talk about the best chance to have full slots of cars to choose rather than an empty carpark at hertz LAX, what day and time in a week will it be?
Book what you need. Hertz has a ton of people going through it, and when I rented, all convertibles were pulled off. Same with large SUVs.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:59 am

Thanks for sharing. What about premium upgrades section? Any interesting choices there?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:07 am

I noticed that the electric fleet is cheaper to rent despite advertised daily rates not being lower than some of the other classes. Are the taxes different with EVs? And what are the odds of NOT getting an EV if renting in that class?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.