Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:01 am

My photos before this post were from Wednesday, December 6, 2017 about 10 am. Mostly SUV's, a minivan and a small truck in President's Circle. Just one vehicle in each Ultimate Series and Premium Upgrade areas. I took a Yukon XL with Colorado plates w/ 23K miles from President's Circle.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Originally Posted by CalItalian
My photos before this post were from Wednesday, December 6, 2017 about 10 am. Mostly SUV's, a minivan and a small truck in President's Circle. Just one vehicle in each Ultimate Series and Premium Upgrade areas. I took a Yukon XL with Colorado plates w/ 23K miles from President's Circle.
Thanks for taking the time to take and upload photos of the selection in PC!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Kind of sad for what should be a premium location. Q50 has been in almost every PC section I have been in across the country in 2017. Having one sit there for 25+ with fees a day is kind of sad.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Kind of sad for what should be a premium location. Q50 has been in almost every PC section I have been in across the country in 2017. Having one sit there for 25+ with fees a day is kind of sad.
I hypothesize that these are in the UG location for people that aren't PC - if you're 5* or a Gold member, you're not going to have any Q50s, and I don't see why Hertz wouldn't happily give you one for $35/day.

Last time I rented from SEA I walked away with a Q60 from the PC section, but I saw a ton of them over in the UG section as well.

The rest is up to a bit of random chance and quantity I'd guess, whether you find one in the PC section or not.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manacit
I hypothesize that these are in the UG location for people that aren't PC - if you're 5* or a Gold member, you're not going to have any Q50s, and I don't see why Hertz wouldn't happily give you one for $35/day.

Last time I rented from SEA I walked away with a Q60 from the PC section, but I saw a ton of them over in the UG section as well.

The rest is up to a bit of random chance and quantity I'd guess, whether you find one in the PC section or not.
True. I mean when PC has a Tahoe and random crap.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Plat,TK*G, UA *S, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC
Rented at LAX last week. Nothing surprising. Altimas and Camerys in PC lot. Seriously, LAX PC makes you choose from 10 altimas all the time. Spot a 2*CLA Volvo S90 Q50 and Q70 in the upgrade. Choose S90.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Renting a Q60 in about a week for 4 days, anyone rented this car before? Also, if I wanted to upgrade to something else is the upgrade fee $25 for PC members?

First time renting from Hertz since they started the ultimate choice stuff, etc., curious to see how things are different.

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Renting a Q60 in about a week for 4 days, anyone rented this car before? Also, if I wanted to upgrade to something else is the upgrade fee $25 for PC members?

First time renting from Hertz since they started the ultimate choice stuff, etc., curious to see how things are different.

Thanks!
Upgrade fee is $25/day for PC members - it's hit or miss what's in the upgrade lot though. I've seen some great stuff, and I've also seen them completely empty.

The Q60 is probably my favorite rental I've gotten at Hertz, but it definitely depends on the trim they have. I've seen the 2.0t and the 3.0t with and without AWD, and in various trim levels. Of the last two Q60s I've gotten, one of them had Nav and some other premium features (heated steering wheel? I think), and one of them was much more barebones.

Either way, for a rental, the 3.0t is pretty fun. I've always been irked that they don't have paddle shifters, though. Very comfortable seats, and they cruise along pretty well. My one complaint is that the ride is surprisingly rough, yet the steering is extremely light. It combines for some weird driving dynamics to be sure.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by manacit
Upgrade fee is $25/day for PC members - it's hit or miss what's in the upgrade lot though. I've seen some great stuff, and I've also seen them completely empty.

The Q60 is probably my favorite rental I've gotten at Hertz, but it definitely depends on the trim they have. I've seen the 2.0t and the 3.0t with and without AWD, and in various trim levels. Of the last two Q60s I've gotten, one of them had Nav and some other premium features (heated steering wheel? I think), and one of them was much more barebones.

Either way, for a rental, the 3.0t is pretty fun. I've always been irked that they don't have paddle shifters, though. Very comfortable seats, and they cruise along pretty well. My one complaint is that the ride is surprisingly rough, yet the steering is extremely light. It combines for some weird driving dynamics to be sure.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I appreciate it. At least the upgrade fee is only $25 if I see something that interests me.
I am looking forward to the q60 though, hoping they have a higher trim level.

Appreciate the info!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Today at LAX it was mostly Honda and Nissan things...the President's Circle upgrade section was Infiniti sedans. I did a lap through PC and was going to check the 5* section when one of the cleaners dropped off the Evoque dripping wet from the car wash. Nabbed it even though it drives like crap which I learned courtesy of a trip to Palm Springs. Here for a weekend so may as well be seen in the poor man's RR than a Honda.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:18 pm

Friday at 10am. PC lot was the small Nissan SUV and Altima. Lots of the Altima. Few Hyundai products. Guy was backing in a yellow SS Camaro Vert so I took that. By far the "best" car there. It's been fun in LA and drive down to San Diego.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:28 pm

Not a ton of interesting stuff today, but also not bad (I would have taken the Jag if I didn't need a SUV). Lots of Nissan SUVs, but there was at least one Fusion Hybrid, a Volvo S80, a couple of Buics and two pickup trucks. I waited around for about 20 minutes until a Land Rover Discovery Sport showed up, which ended up being a mistake - the base trim is awful. Upgrade section was almost entirely Q50s
bedeve likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:55 pm

Dropping off Monday 11th at 10pm (a brilliant Escalade from SEA) and picking up another car - once again a disappointing selection at LAX. Very few vehicles in the Presidents Circle area and what was there were just base models with high mileage. A couple of Sonnata's on 38,000 and 44,000 miles. There was even a 2015 Malibu on 55,000 miles and i'm astonished they still have the super old Impala's hanging on in the fleet.

They were bringing a few cars slowly but nothing under 20,000mls or in any way interesting. We waited around for an hour and picked up an Avalon in the end as couldn't wait any longer. They did bring a Q60 out which went almost immediately to another person who had been waiting around for quite some time too. (It was too small for us) - There was also a couple of Yukon's as we were leaving. Once again it just seems they're putting the runts of the litter in the presidents circle - all out of state base models with very high miles. Disappointing at what should be a flagship location. I'll be renting at this location (unfortunately) more often from January so look forward to more terrible updates! May have to think about switching loyalty.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bjam99
Dropping off Monday 11th at 10pm (a brilliant Escalade from SEA) and picking up another car - once again a disappointing selection at LAX. Very few vehicles in the Presidents Circle area and what was there were just base models with high mileage. A couple of Sonnata's on 38,000 and 44,000 miles. There was even a 2015 Malibu on 55,000 miles and i'm astonished they still have the super old Impala's hanging on in the fleet.

They were bringing a few cars slowly but nothing under 20,000mls or in any way interesting. We waited around for an hour and picked up an Avalon in the end as couldn't wait any longer. They did bring a Q60 out which went almost immediately to another person who had been waiting around for quite some time too. (It was too small for us) - There was also a couple of Yukon's as we were leaving. Once again it just seems they're putting the runts of the litter in the presidents circle - all out of state base models with very high miles. Disappointing at what should be a flagship location. I'll be renting at this location (unfortunately) more often from January so look forward to more terrible updates! May have to think about switching loyalty.
You certainly are correct about the out of state base model vehicles as you can see from my postings and pics. This is a very slow week at Hertz LAX. I can't imagine about bad PC is going to be like during Christmas/New Year's which is their busiest period of the entire year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.