Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Was at LAX on Saturday Jul 29 at 8am
When I got there PC section had multiple pick your color pathfinder sorento and Rogue. Some generic fullsize sedan. An impala LS, a Toyota Avalon, and a Kia Soul. The highlights were a Subaru Outback and a forester limited(which I originally took). After walking around the lot they pulled up a new Audi A4 Quattro in premium plus trim. Car was nice as I did a one way rental, too bad that I didn't get to enjoy it longer. When I was about to leave they brought out a 300C, 300S, Q50 2.0T, XE, Camaro RS convertible, and a mustang 5.0GT hardtop to the PC section.

5* section had only a single Elantra and nothing else.
Gold section had pick your color midsize and the highlight was 1 Buick Verano and Regal

I had also walked over to the fullsize section and saw 3 Subaru Legacy that everyone fought for. Also there were a lot of new fusion hybrid in SE trim and 1 sonata hybrid.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Thursday, July 27, 1:30 pm.

PC section empty except for a Volvo S80, a ford explorer (base model), and some other base fullsize cars. Many people waiting for something better so they brought in Jaguar XEs for everyone waiting including me, so I took that.

Was assigned a Sequoia on a fullsize suv booking but it had huge dents and high mileage. Only other large SUVs were more Sequoias and a lone base Expedition.

Tuesday, August 1, 12:30 pm.

Wanted to exchange the Jag because I think its a pretty bad car honestly and the brakes are making loads of noise. They had only Sequoias in fullsize SUV again and PC was an S80 T5 and a small Infiniti SUV. Nothing else but those and they were not adding any cars in the 20-30min i stood there. So no swap.

I am now in the Bay Area and thinking about swapping at SFO or SJC. Any tips on which one might have a better selection?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:59 am

Hi, so I have been researching a bit, and would like to see if I have the correct idea on what to do for my upcoming trip. I've never used Ultimate Choice, and am hoping everything goes as planned.
I am flying into LAX this thanksgiving, but I am actually flying the day of, not the day before. I am going to assume most cars are going to be taken due to the holiday, and the huge influx of flights thanksgiving day eve.
By chance, I happen to have PC, and that leads me to wondering if I should book an intermediate rental, which I believe is the minimum for picking out of Ultimate Choice.
I know the day before thanksgiving is hell at LAX, and am wondering what to expect, and if I should just plan to pay for the $25/day premium upgrade for a nice car.
My travel dates are 11/23-11/25, pick up and drop off at 7am.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AJDem
Hi, so I have been researching a bit, and would like to see if I have the correct idea on what to do for my upcoming trip. I've never used Ultimate Choice, and am hoping everything goes as planned.
I am flying into LAX this thanksgiving, but I am actually flying the day of, not the day before. I am going to assume most cars are going to be taken due to the holiday, and the huge influx of flights thanksgiving day eve.
By chance, I happen to have PC, and that leads me to wondering if I should book an intermediate rental, which I believe is the minimum for picking out of Ultimate Choice.
I know the day before thanksgiving is hell at LAX, and am wondering what to expect, and if I should just plan to pay for the $25/day premium upgrade for a nice car.
My travel dates are 11/23-11/25, pick up and drop off at 7am.
Thanksgiving is traditionally not a huge period for renting cars at LAX even though 11/22-11/23 are subject to AnyDay rewards. I have been renting EVERY year during Thanksgiving week at Hertz LAX for many years.

Being that this is the first year of Hertz Ultimate Choice since it has only been around since the first week of April this year at LAX, nobody is going to be able to answer your question. We just don't know. All I can provide is that on the July 4th holiday, which I expected to be a busy summer day with few vehicles, President's Circle was packed with vehicles. Every space. The rest of the lot was pretty close to that.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:48 am

Hello all

Booked an Infiniti QX80 for LAX in a couple of months. Car category is S4. The price was very appealing for this category. Now I'm concerned why the price was so appealing. Has anyone had one as a rental ... and any ideas what other cars in the same same category.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I have to work my way though some serious freeway traffic on my next trip to LA and I was wondering if there are any vehicles in Hertz' fleet that could make this easier, e.g. is it possible that any of their Hybrid vehicles have the EV sticker that allow me to use the HOV lane? I suspect not, but figured I'd ask.

Also, I'm aware of the pay-as-you-go express lanes on the 110 and elsewhere, but that only gets me so far.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I have to work my way though some serious freeway traffic on my next trip to LA and I was wondering if there are any vehicles in Hertz' fleet that could make this easier, e.g. is it possible that any of their Hybrid vehicles have the EV sticker that allow me to use the HOV lane? I suspect not, but figured I'd ask.

Also, I'm aware of the pay-as-you-go express lanes on the 110 and elsewhere, but that only gets me so far.
Never seen the green stickers on Hertz LAX vehicles. Although I have not looked for them, they always catch my eye.

Make sure you bring your own FastTrak device. Hertz LAX still does not offer them.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:30 pm

Saturday August 12th around 2pm

In Presidents Circle there was exactly....0 cars available. Nothing. Not even anything basic. Gold had some old Elantra's but I'd booked a full size.

I headed into the office to check out the situation and they came out with me as they didnt believe me that there was nothing in the lot. The nice Hertz rep then offered me the choice of a Jag XE or an Infiniti Q60 (in the upgrade section) I took the Jag.

I had a look at the selection when I dropped the car back off on Tuesday 15th and it was pretty poor. Just some Sonata's, one Rogue with 30,000 miles and a Camry - a rubbish selection. For a flagship location, i've consistently found LAX to offer one of the worst selection of vehicles.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bjam99
Saturday August 12th around 2pm

In Presidents Circle there was exactly....0 cars available. Nothing. Not even anything basic. Gold had some old Elantra's but I'd booked a full size.

I headed into the office to check out the situation and they came out with me as they didnt believe me that there was nothing in the lot. The nice Hertz rep then offered me the choice of a Jag XE or an Infiniti Q60 (in the upgrade section) I took the Jag.

I had a look at the selection when I dropped the car back off on Tuesday 15th and it was pretty poor. Just some Sonata's, one Rogue with 30,000 miles and a Camry - a rubbish selection. For a flagship location, i've consistently found LAX to offer one of the worst selection of vehicles.
You were there on one of the busiest weekends of the year, certainly of the summer. PC at LAX has been great for me so far. After this weekend, peak season is over (Christmas/New Year's still the worst time of the year). Availability will get much better.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:18 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Bjam99
For a flagship location, i've consistently found LAX to offer one of the worst selection of vehicles.
Ha, you've clearly never visited Hertz @ LGA!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:41 am

hey all,

I'm 5*, renting in LAX -

YOUR VEHICLE
Fullsize Elite 2 or 4 dr. Group K GCAR
(K) Mercedes E Class/Jaguar XF or similar

What to expect?

I'm debating between this and Enterprise Vehicle Class
Range Rover Sport, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes Benz GL450 or Similar
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:01 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
hey all,

I'm 5*, renting in LAX -

YOUR VEHICLE
Fullsize Elite 2 or 4 dr. Group K GCAR
(K) Mercedes E Class/Jaguar XF or similar

What to expect?

I'm debating between this and Enterprise Vehicle Class
Range Rover Sport, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes Benz GL450 or Similar
Your status is not going to come into play here. What you can expect from Hertz is a foreign luxury sedan like a Mercedes, BMW or Jag. It all depends on what they have on-hand when you arrive.

The Enterprise class you refer to is a luxury sport SUV class, so it stands to reason that you'd get a foreign luxury sport SUV. Again, it all depends on what they have on-hand when you arrive.

As to which is better, it really depends on your preference since it's apples and organges (sedan and SUV).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Your status is not going to come into play here. What you can expect from Hertz is a foreign luxury sedan like a Mercedes, BMW or Jag. It all depends on what they have on-hand when you arrive.

The Enterprise class you refer to is a luxury sport SUV class, so it stands to reason that you'd get a foreign luxury sport SUV. Again, it all depends on what they have on-hand when you arrive.

As to which is better, it really depends on your preference since it's apples and organges (sedan and SUV).
Thanks.
Last time in LAX I resevered a porsche panamera and they eneded up giving it to someone else prior to my arrival... I guess in this case, I will keep both reservations and will start with Hertz. if no good option, ill move to enterprise.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:06 am

Has anyone spied a Chrysler Pacifica in Hertz's fleet? In particular at LAX? coming in over labor day weekend with mrs. zhutch and 3 friends. If we're going to roll like soccer moms, we're going to do it Jim Gaffigan style.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Dropped off at LAX this morning 8am and took a peek at the PC section. It was pretty much pick your color Pathfinder or altima.. Nothing premium at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.