Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Wednesday, November 8th around 11:30 AM. Returned my SUV from last week, rented another again.

Just one vehicle in the Premium Upgrades, an Infiniti Q60.

PC was about half full. Lots of midsize and standard SUV's and a few minivans plus the normal mid and full size vehicles. Just 2 large SUV's. Both were out of state plated Ford Expeditions. I took one of them.

LAX really likes to put out of state plated vehicles in PC is my biggest observation after renting week after week for the last month.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Friday November 10 at 6 PM

Five Star with a Premium Car Reservation

Assigned spot 962 which was about as far a walk from the main building as possible. We ended up with a base level Chevy Camaro which neither of us were all that thrilled with. Thankfully it was just two of us and we were only driving about 100 miles but it was not what I'd consider premium even though I'm sure Hertz considers it an upgrade.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hertz 5 *, Velocity Silver, Europcar, Marriott
I'm 5*, renting in LAX 29th November 9am (from Australia)

YOUR VEHICLE
Full Size 4 Dr. (Group F) FCAR
(F) Chrysler 200 or similar

As I have a family off 4 what could I expect to be available?

any tips or information would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:19 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Dale Brown

YOUR VEHICLE

You'll be able to choose from the Gold or 5* section. What's you get really depends on what's available when you arrive. A low mileage American or Japanese sedan like a Hyundai Sonata is most common. You might get lucky with something nicer/larger, but I wouldn't count on it based on what's been in the 5* section of LAX lately.
Dale Brown likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dale Brown

YOUR VEHICLE

There should be lots of vehicles available since it is after our Thanksgiving holiday period and is a pretty dead time for travel in Los Angeles that day. I find 9 am about the time that they have the most vehicles out, too.

You can choose from the 5*, Gold AND Full Size sections. They often put midsize and standard SUV's in the Full Size car section at LAX so be sure to check all three out.
Dale Brown likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hertz 5 *, Velocity Silver, Europcar, Marriott
thanks guys, I am hoping for American style cars as we have the Japanese cars here and being a car nut I want to try something American lol

Last edited by jason8612; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:49 pm Reason: Re-wording
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:08 pm

Back at LAX today to return my vehicle from last week and pick up another one. 5 vehicles around 10:30 am in the Ultimate Series area (2 were Escalades, one was a red Stingray, one a Mercedes-Benz AMG G 63 with Nevada plates and the 5th I couldn't identify but was a wide luxury crossover with huge sunroof). There were 3 vehicles in the upgrade area (Jaguar - I can't identify - & two Infiniti Q60's). 3 Yukon XL's were in PC, I took one of them with AZ plates. There were lots of other SUV's, crossovers and a couple of minivans of all sizes in PC. Plus the normal assortment of mostly full size vehicles. There was one Buick Lacrosse, too. I would say PC was about 3/4 full. About 42-43 or so vehicles today from my count. Just before I left they brought out an Infinity QX70 into PC, too. After renting week after week now, I see they like to move the vehicles around in PC and try to keep them mostly bunched together in the first 3 aisles - leaving the PC area in the 4th aisle mostly empty except for upgrade and Ultimate Series vehicles. I'm on a two week reservation now to beat the Thanksgiving holiday period. I took photos so my information I am posting here is based on them.

bedeve, maarten22 and Dale Brown like this.

Last edited by jason8612; Nov 16, 2017 at 6:07 pm Reason: Merged multiple posts to 1
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Disaster at around 5.30 pm yesterday (Saturday). 1 Mustang and other than that nothing except for Camry and friends. Not a single SUV, not even including a Rogue or something. There were 2 Rogues but one had no key and the other had another problem, so neither available to rent and I asked and was told there wouldn't be any SUVs coming.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hertz PC, FB Explorer, HHonors & Radisson
Hi everyone

I'vé made a booking for a mid size SUV from 24th April 2018 for 3 weeks thanks to amex Plat cdp which gave me what I consider beeing an incredible rate of 25$ a day.all insurance except pai and premium roadside. Hertz France website states I should get a Q4 category ie jeep compass or similar.

Questions : a) I don't need hands control but I have mobility problems and can not use "high stairs". Do you think it will be fine as I don't usualy see Jeep SUV in my country ?
b) we will be 2 in the car with 2 suitcases each plus a folding wheelchair and later a carriable and folding ECV. Is it fine if we fold the back seats -size regarding-
c) i'm 5 * arriving on a flight on a Tuesday afternoon at 3 pm. Hoping we won't be screened by tsa & the flight is on time, do you think we can get a reasonable choice if the SUV parked in the reserved space is not convenient in the 5 stars lot ?
d) concerning the hertz shuttle, are they all wheelchair accessible or do I need to call in advance to arrange pick up ?

I understand April is in a few months and car models are not guaranteed and can change but I told myself that some frequent hertz lax renter can give me all infos.

Any help will be much appreciated
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
4 day Guys weekend in February. Need (want) 7 passenger Luxury SUV.

Reserved: Luxury SUV Group S6 LFDR(S6)RoverDiscovery/MercedesGL450 or similar

Would you keep that or take an Infiniti QX80 for the same money?

would you pay a couple extra bucks for an Escalade ?

what are ya’ll thoughts

oh yeah... Huge Thanks to http://www.autoslash.com for the Great rate too!

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:35 pm

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 about 10:45 am. They brought out more yellow & red Mustang's after I took the photos at LAX, too. Lots of them plus Rogue's, especially. Surprised President's Circle wasn't more full with vehicles since it was not a super busy day.

Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Wednesday, November 29, 2017 about 10:45 am. They brought out more yellow & red Mustang's after I took the photos at LAX, too. Lots of them plus Rogue's, especially. Surprised President's Circle wasn't more full with vehicles since it was not a super busy day.
Ha! I drove that last Infiniti QX60 there Got it as a replacement at LAS for the Rogue I picked up at LAX.
CalItalian likes this.

Last edited by Exar; Nov 30, 2017 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:19 am

How does the Ultimate Series work, is it a fixed upgrade price for a PC, or does it depends on the vehicle?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by maarten22
How does the Ultimate Series work, is it a fixed upgrade price for a PC, or does it depends on the vehicle?
In my experience it depends on the vehicle. It may also take into account your original rate. For example, on a recent visit I was quoted $65/day extra for a Tesla and $135/day extra for a Mercedes G Wagon. My base rate was about $25 per day.
maarten22 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:11 am

My experience has been that the PC area is best stocked very early in the morning or late at night. If you get there before 6am or after midnight you will likely have lots of choices.

Having said that Thursday morning at 6am was a bit disappointing. Nearly every space was full of SUVs. Very few sedans and almost nothing special. There were six infinities in the upgrade section (Q50s and one Q70). Lots of Rogues, Pathfinders, Santa Fes and things like that. I took a Nissan Maxima in the normal PC section. There was also a Camaro convertible, but everything else was pretty boring SUV or Sedan.

I've gotten in the habit of checking out the PC section when I return cars and inevitably it is better than when I pick them up, but maybe that is just psychological. I still want to get an MB SLC300 one of these days. I always see those when I drop off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.