Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by eeflyer
I'm assuming you're talking about HNL, but yes you can walk from United to HA's gates and stay airside. There's also an airside shuttle.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was referring to HNL. Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by swdke
Going from the United arrival gates to Hawaiian Air gates, can we get there without going through security and stay on air side? Thanks!
Yes.

Depending on your walking speed and how crowded the airport is that day, the walk between the far ends of HNL (UA-HA) could take 20 minutes or so. Not a bad walk after a 6-10 hour flight. As previously mentioned, there is a shuttle bus (Wiki Wiki Bus) that can bring you there, but between waiting for it and dealing with the stops, it may take just as long.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Walking from UA to HA also allows you to visit the outdoor garden on the way. It's my favorable thing to do at HNL.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I always walk it after getting off the UA EWR non stop. It gets the blood flowing again. I don't think it takes me more than 15 minutes, if that long.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
How much time should I leave for OGG to HNL flight in Mid February 2018. I have HNL-Dallas flight on American Airlines leaving 9:15PM same day. I will be travelling with wife and 2 kids aged 10.

I was thinking of taking OGG flight that gets into HNL at 7:17PM giving me 2 hours. Is that sufficient time? There is later flight getting into HNL at 7:40PM.

Also a few quick questions. Is it necessary to arrive 1.5 hours early to OGG for interisland flight?

I am using AA award miles for entire flight. Is Hawaiian able to check in our bags in OGG and check them all the way through to my final destination so I don't have to pick up my bags in HNL. Any idea if I have to pay a baggage fee for Hawaiian and AA?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:14 pm

1.5 hours is plenty at OGG.

2 hours should be enough at HNL. Would not recommend less if you have to exit security to retrieve your luggage.

AA won't accept interline bags from another airline even on its own award tickets.

HA will charge you baggage fee.

Your wife and kids can stay airside and eat some dinner while you go get the luggage and re-check them with AA. The luggage also need to go thru agriculture inspection at HNL so there is an extra step.
kt729 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hi-hope you can help-

i have a united biz flight from narita,japan to hnl arriving 640am..
i fly out of OGG same day at 9.55pm ..
i am going to buy a tkt from hnl to ogg but was wondering what would be the time i should book it for?
is a 855am flight too early? i will have one bag-will it take longer due to their being separate tkts?
thanks in advance

Last edited by bryanwallace; Dec 25, 2017 at 9:35 pm Reason: apologies i think i put this in the wrong place
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by 747FC
So long as you arrive on time, you will be fine. Actual boarding of the flight will be around 20 minutes before departure. The only time you will be allowed to go on an earlier flight w/o charge would be if there is an IRROPs situation and they are trying to move people along. Otherwise, I believe the fee is $30 pp, which might be money better spent at the bar
Our plane arrived on time, and we had 1.5 hours to sit in the waiting area for the HA flight ;-)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
hi-hope you can help-

i have a united biz flight from narita,japan to hnl arriving 640am..
i fly out of OGG same day at 9.55pm ..
i am going to buy a tkt from hnl to ogg but was wondering what would be the time i should book it for?
is a 855am flight too early? i will have one bag-will it take longer due to their being separate tkts?
thanks in advance
Don't do it. You are not going to make it.

NRT-HNL is fine but you need to clear immigration and custom at HNL. It's probably going to a lot longer than you think because you are arriving with a plane load of Japanese tourist.

After customs, you have to go to the interisland terminal to catch the HA flight to OGG. That could take about 15 to 20 minutes. You didn't mention which airline is operating the OGG-mainland flight so I'm assuming it is not HA. That means the bags will not be tagged to your final destination. There is no guarantee you can get to the HA check in before the luggage cutoff time for your HNL-OGG flight.

And once at OGG, you have to exit security and claim your bag, go thru agriculture inspection, clear security again, and somehow do this in ~15 minutes to make it to final boarding call?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:43 pm

hi,
im not quite ure what you mean about not making it in ogg-flight is 955pm not 955am?

flight to ogg is ha
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

I'm sorry... I didn't realize it is 9:55PM. Reading too quickly before posting.

Re-reading your post, it looks like you are at the front of the UA flight so you may be fine to make it to the interlsland terminal with time to spare.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:57 pm

thanks all-one more question about the luggage-if the bags are tagged all the way to ogg-as long as i get a boarding pass before my initial flight
then i should be able to avoid the bag fee??
do i just pick the bag up and drop it off on a different belt without needing to deal with the HA agents?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:06 pm

HA doesn't accept interline bags for interisland flights so there is no chance UA will tag your bags to OGG.

You have to check in physically at HNL with HA.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Where to recheck bags at HNL (NRT-HNL-OGG)?

Sorry for making what is assuredly an unnecessary new thread; I assumed there would be a wiki with this information but found only this thread (and currently at NRT, so unable to crawl through 1000 posts): Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Flying NRT-HNL on JL, then HNL-OGG on HA a few hours later. Bags were tagged only to HNL. We have checked in online (but have no hard copy boarding passes) for HNL-OGG. Is there a bag recheck counter at HNL after immigration/customs like at most major US airports? Or do we need to take the bags somewhere else first? Any general guidance (or link to a thread on connecting from international specifically to inter-island) would be useful. TIA.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sorry for making what is assuredly an unnecessary new thread; I assumed there would be a wiki with this information but found only this thread (and currently at NRT, so unable to crawl through 1000 posts): Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Flying NRT-HNL on JL, then HNL-OGG on HA a few hours later. Bags were tagged only to HNL. We have checked in online (but have no hard copy boarding passes) for HNL-OGG. Is there a bag recheck counter at HNL after immigration/customs like at most major US airports? Or do we need to take the bags somewhere else first? Any general guidance (or link to a thread on connecting from international specifically to inter-island) would be useful. TIA.
I've flown HA transiting from HND through HNL and they checked it all the way through. For that case, I carried the bags from the customs exit to the interisland terminal (five minute walk) and dropped it off at bag drop. I've also done UA to HNL connecting onto HA. In that case they also only tagged it to HNL. In that case I had to visit the HA desk in the interisland terminal.

I'm not sure if there was a place to get it retagged/dropped off at the customs hall exit. I may have missed anything available since both flights I came off extremely jet lagged and just did what was familiar. But for sure walking over to interisland will work and is not far at all. Just take a left out of the customs exit and walk to the interisland terminal, then go up the escalators/elevator to the departure level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.