FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Hi! I have a flight from HNL to OGG at 6pm, arriving OGG 6:40pm. My next flight is Delta OGG-LAX at 8:55pm. No checked bags. Will 2 hours be enough? I guess I just need to walk from Gate 17 to Gate 35 at OGG airside?
You have way more than sufficient time, assuming that there is not a catastrophic IRROPS situation. You don't say what airline you are flying into OGG.

Here is the terminal map for OGG: http://terminalmaps.hawaii.gov:8080/hmaps/ogg As you can see, the connections between the gates are airside. Might take you five minutes to get between the gates.

Aloha.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
My flight from LNY to HNL was changed to arrive 20 minutes later. So, I land at 12:40 on Hawaiin and depart at 2:25 on Alaska. I think that would be enough time assuming my flight from LNY was on time. But, I'm getting confused over agriculture inspection. We're carrying bags, because I can't book through, how do I stay airside in HNL and get an agricultural inspection?

Should I move my LNY to HNL to the earlier flight? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by woodburyhome
My flight from LNY to HNL was changed to arrive 20 minutes later. So, I land at 12:40 on Hawaiin and depart at 2:25 on Alaska. I think that would be enough time assuming my flight from LNY was on time. But, I'm getting confused over agriculture inspection. We're carrying bags, because I can't book through, how do I stay airside in HNL and get an agricultural inspection?
There is a checkpoint for agriculture inspection in the airside walkway between terminal 1 (interisland) and 2 (overseas). It looks like a normal x-ray machine for carry-on bags. You can't miss it.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
There is a checkpoint for agriculture inspection in the airside walkway between terminal 1 (interisland) and 2 (overseas). It looks like a normal x-ray machine for carry-on bags. You can't miss it.

Thanks much
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:56 pm

I have booked JAL flight from PEK via NRT to KOA, and decide to purchase a separate ticket from KOA to HNL. Then here comes my connecting issue:

Known facts:
  • We are a family of 5, including a 2 years old toddler.
  • We have checked baggage, including stroller
  • KOA arrival 9:35AM (according to flight history, it usually arrives 10-30 mins early)
  • NRT-KOA is a JAL/HAL code share flight operated by JAL
  • It seems JAL and HAL have baggage interline agreement, JAL and SWA have not.
  • As international flight, we have to collect our checked bags at immigration & customs at KOA, and recheck them afterwards, no matter interlining or not.

Option 1: SWA departure 11:10AM, connection time 95mins
+ lower fares
+ free 2 checked bags
- short connection time
- for sure have to check-in the baggage at KOA departure area
- as plan B, the next SWA flight will be at 4:00PM

Option 2: HAL departure 12:00AM, connection time 145mins
+ longer connection time (could also choose later flight @1:17PM)
+? possible baggage interline, where we could recheck our bags at arrival hall (just after custom cleared) - but still unsure if it's possible.
- higher fares, almost x2 of SWA option
-? extra check-in bag fee, if bag interlining is not possible

For option 1, normally I wouldn't risk with only 95 min connection time. But as I heard KOA is relatively a small airport, I assume this might be feasible?
As I checked TSA record at the time, it would be normally 15-30 mins. So the goal is to check-in before the cut-off time, meaning 50 minutes in total to get off plane, collect bags, clear immigration & customs, walk though the airport (seems to be not a big time affecting factor) recheck the bags.

So, any ideas?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:24 am

Your's is a situation in which you are faced with determining how much peace of mind you desire and what you are willing to pay for it. A few thoughts:

1. As JAL/HA are "partners" and have an interline agreement, you might want to reconfirm with JAL to make sure will check through your luggage to HNL. Sure you will stil have to grab it and go through customs, but if it is checked through, that will save you time and money (no additional baggage fees).

2. HA has many more flights a day than SWA. In the unlikely event that you are delayed, HA will have an easier time accommodating you.

3. I assume your HA flight option is 12:00 PM, not 12:00 AM. The extra time you have in the ground in case border patrol and/or customs decide to spend some time with you and your family.

So, HA would be my recommendation, but ultimately you need to decide about the increased costs vs. peace of mind in having more time in case of delays and keeping all your flying on one partnership.

Aloha.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Your's is a situation in which you are faced with determining how much peace of mind you desire and what you are willing to pay for it. A few thoughts:

1. As JAL/HA are "partners" and have an interline agreement, you might want to reconfirm with JAL to make sure will check through your luggage to HNL. Sure you will stil have to grab it and go through customs, but if it is checked through, that will save you time and money (no additional baggage fees).
The answer from JAL was that only at check-in counter one can find the definite answer if interline is possible. But if I choose HA, time shouldn't be a big issue then, the worst thing will be only some additional bag fees.

Originally Posted by 747FC
2. HA has many more flights a day than SWA. In the unlikely event that you are delayed, HA will have an easier time accommodating you.
yes indeed. I assume 2hr25min is already long enough to make connection, even if we have to recheck our bags. The next flight will give us 3hr40min, which is too long. We really want to get to the destination asap after an international red-eye long haul flight.

thanks again for your opinion. It's really helpful
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You don't want your vacation to start with a missed flight.

95 min may seem plenty but a slight delay at immigration or custom and you are bumping up against checked baggage cut off time. If you are traveling by yourself with only carry on, I definitely go for the Southwest Flight. But you are traveling with family with checked luggage... don't create problem for yourself - just book the HA flight and pay a little extra.

2 hours at KOA is going to go by pretty fast with your kids. Send them to the fence and do some plane watching... my son enjoyed watching all the HA 717 come and go and people getting on and off via stairs, the smell of jet fuel, and outdoor setting... a totally different experience than at a "normal" airport. I had to peel him away to board our flight.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question. I have read conflicting information continually. Surely there has to be a side of the plane that is better to sit on for a HNL to KOA flight. Logically it seems to me it would be a left side (port) seat since both are on the south side of the island. Well southwestern at least on KOA. But several sights say Right and others say Left. Are there any regular flyers on this route that know?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question. I have read conflicting information continually. Surely there has to be a side of the plane that is better to sit on for a HNL to KOA flight. Logically it seems to me it would be a left side (port) seat since both are on the south side of the island. Well southwestern at least on KOA. But several sights say Right and others say Left. Are there any regular flyers on this route that know?
Depends on the winds at each island, as both runways frequently go in alternate direction. I general, landings at KOA are to the south, so the better views are indeed on the port side, but it is not that rare for operations to turn around. I am less confident on which direction is the usual for takeoffs at HNL, as I have done both. If they are to the east, however, the port side also has lovely views. If they are to the west, the views are obviously starboard, but less dramatic IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited by Erasmus; Feb 10, 2020 at 7:33 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:19 pm

As I travel from Oahu to Hawaii, would I not have views of the other islands out the port side while the starboard side would just be open ocean views as I travel from island to island?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As I travel from Oahu to Hawaii, would I not have views of the other islands out the port side while the starboard side would just be open ocean views as I travel from island to island?
Depends on conditions. Sometimes the routes goes over Lanai and Kaho'olawe with views of Maui, other times it flies to the south of all three. You're right that port increases the chances, but IMHO the views on takeoff and landing are far more impressive than in-flight.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:12 pm

95% of tine, port side.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:54 am

Thanks guys, I'll go port.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
I am less confident on which direction is the usual for takeoffs at HNL, as I have done both. If they are to the east, however, the port side also has lovely views. If they are to the west, the views are obviously starboard, but less dramatic IMHO. YMMV.
HNL normally has departures on 8L/R, so they are to the east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.