FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Is an hour enough time to transfer in Honolulu from Maui to San Francisco? I am on the 7:55AM United flight to San Francisco and could in theory take the Hawaiian flight from Maui which arrives in Honolulu at 6:49AM. Otherwise Ill have to fly to Honolulu the day before and get a hotel.
If you have checked luggage, it's not possible to make this connection with 1 hour on separate tickets. You'll need to exit security to pick up your luggage at inter-island terminal and check in again with UA at the far side of mainland terminal. That in itself will take at least 1 hour.

If you only have carry on, you can probably make it if everything runs smoothly. But it will be a race against time.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
My parents will be travelling from DFW to HNL on AA and then I will need to get them on connection to Maui same day. They will not have any checked luggage, just carry on. Just want to confirm they will not need to go through security and can go from their gate to the interisland gate. They land at 1:57 PM HNL time. My choices are 2:40, 3:31 or 4:11pm. I was thinking the latter two times should work.

I am booking ticket through AA award travel from DFW to HNL but do not have enough miles to book the HNL-OGG on one ticket. I plan to likely purchase HNL-OGG ticket on Hawaiian airlines website. I think this will be fine since no checked luggage. Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
My parents will be travelling from DFW to HNL on AA and then I will need to get them on connection to Maui same day. They will not have any checked luggage, just carry on. Just want to confirm they will not need to go through security and can go from their gate to the interisland gate. They land at 1:57 PM HNL time. My choices are 2:40, 3:31 or 4:11pm. I was thinking the latter two times should work.

I am booking ticket through AA award travel from DFW to HNL but do not have enough miles to book the HNL-OGG on one ticket. I plan to likely purchase HNL-OGG ticket on Hawaiian airlines website. I think this will be fine since no checked luggage. Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks
Yes. Your plan is perfect. There will be no security. I have done the same thing many times.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cdoobiest

Yes, they don't have to go through security.

What time you book for the OGG flight depends on everyone's risk tolerance. Flight can be late. The 4:00 hour is high traffic with commuters, so if you want that flight, now would be a good time to grab the seats.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes, they don't have to go through security.

What time you book for the OGG flight depends on everyone's risk tolerance. Flight can be late. The 4:00 hour is high traffic with commuters, so if you want that flight, now would be a good time to grab the seats.
Perfect, thanks for everyone's help!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:07 pm

10, long layovers of <12 hours at HNL

Slippahs,
Link is no longer functioning.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have a flight booked on Delta from NRT, scheduled to arrive at 7:33 AM. I will be in seat 1A, will not have checked luggage, and have Global Entry. Delta's website shows the 9:43 AM HA flight to KOA as a connection, with an alternate of HA's 10:24 AM flight. Other than a possible delay on the DL flight, is the 9:43 AM HA flight going to present any problem to make the connection?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I have a flight booked on Delta from NRT, scheduled to arrive at 7:33 AM. I will be in seat 1A, will not have checked luggage, and have Global Entry. Delta's website shows the 9:43 AM HA flight to KOA as a connection, with an alternate of HA's 10:24 AM flight. Other than a possible delay on the DL flight, is the 9:43 AM HA flight going to present any problem to make the connection?
The time should be OK. You have a 10-minute walk from the Arrivals Hall to the HA terminal. At that time of day, the Pre-Check line shouldn't be terrible. But, why stress about it--the extra 40 minutes will give you a more leisurely experience, especially if there is any delay.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
But, why stress about it--the extra 40 minutes will give you a more leisurely experience, especially if there is any delay.
You're probably right, but I would like to get home as soon as possible after the red-eye flight from NRT and not have to sit around in the inter-island terminal if the DL flight is on time. At least I know now that the connection is doable if the DL flight is not delayed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
Aloha, Any feedback on the Admirals Club? I have a long layover from my WN flight from KOA and my AA flight to PHX. I may just UBER into town to have dinner. Mahalo!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by bo94114
Aloha, Any feedback on the Admirals Club? I have a long layover from my WN flight from KOA and my AA flight to PHX. I may just UBER into town to have dinner. Mahalo!
Your instincts are correct. The Club is nothing special.
bo94114 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
January, we land 5:35 a and take off 10:40 P - around 17 hour connection (incoming HA PPT-HNL, AA HNL-PHX-MSP). Any advice? I'm guessing we may not be able to check our luggage in for the flight so we might have to do some form of luggage storage? Any advice for part of a day in HNL?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
Aloha, Is your ticket a through fare PPT-MSP? If so someone owes you a hotel. If the fare breaks then you are on your own
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by bo94114
Aloha, Is your ticket a through fare PPT-MSP? If so someone owes you a hotel. If the fare breaks then you are on your own
Unfortunately, it is constructed. One ticket PPT-HNL, the other HNL-PHX-MSP
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
OGG suggestion?

Hi! I have a flight from HNL to OGG at 6pm, arriving OGG 6:40pm. My next flight is Delta OGG-LAX at 8:55pm. No checked bags. Will 2 hours be enough? I guess I just need to walk from Gate 17 to Gate 35 at OGG airside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.