FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
I land into HNL at 12:55 (on AA from LAX). I will have checked luggage.

I want to book & fly onto KOA with Hawaiian departing at 13:57. Is this enough time to collect luggage, check in and make the flight? Will AA check my luggage from LAX to KOA even though it's not a codeshare and it's on a separate ticket?

There is another HNL-KOA flight departing 14:37 but I only want to book it if it's the only realistic option.

Thanks

1437 it is. Enjoy a nice Mai Tai while you relax.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I welcome any suggestions for a decent place for an early afternoon snack and a drink @ HNL. Other than the IASS lounge (possibly the most horrible lounge I've ever been to), I don't have lounge access anymore @ HNL. I've been to DL and UA several times in the past and it certainly isn't worth the day fee for either. Alternatively, are there any lounges worth a day fee? (I expect not.)

Finally, is the entire airport accessible all airside? I've never walked over to the HA side, and passing some of the time with a walk is an option.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I welcome any suggestions for a decent place for an early afternoon snack and a drink @ HNL. Other than the IASS lounge (possibly the most horrible lounge I've ever been to), I don't have lounge access anymore @ HNL. I've been to DL and UA several times in the past and it certainly isn't worth the day fee for either. Alternatively, are there any lounges worth a day fee? (I expect not.)

Finally, is the entire airport accessible all airside? I've never walked over to the HA side, and passing some of the time with a walk is an option.
How long is your connection? Some good dining options a few minutes taxi ride away...

You can get to the HA side within the airside walkway, and you might like the bar and food options there. Perhaps Lahaina Chicken and/or Stingerays:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/shops-restaura...sland-terminal
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 747FC
How long is your connection? Some good dining options a few minutes taxi ride away...

You can get to the HA side within the airside walkway, and you might like the bar and food options there. Perhaps Lahaina Chicken and/or Stingerays:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/shops-restaura...sland-terminal
Thanks. I don't have a connection - just pre-flight time killing, and the way AS has been operating lately (i.e., quite a few westbound fuel diversions), I might end up with a couple unanticipated hours awaiting my inbound plane.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:10 pm

What's the current amount for same-day standby?

We are landing at HNL at 3:05 PM, and onto OGG at 4:40 PM. There's a 3:30 flight (everything is HA)

Could it be possible to run and make the 3:30 flight? If so, what would they charge us? We booked award flights (coach) directly from HA--not sure if this makes a difference

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by XUEC

We are landing at HNL at 3:05 PM, and onto OGG at 4:40 PM. There's a 3:30 flight (everything is HA)

Could it be possible to run and make the 3:30 flight? If so, what would they charge us? We booked award flights (coach) directly from HA--not sure if this makes a difference

Thanks!
No way to do this unless you arrive at agent at least 30 minutes in advance. Have a relaxing drink at the bar, and chill....
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

Thanks!
If you're on the UA non-stop, there is a slight, slight chance you would be able to make it since it often arrives a bit early. BUT, I had the same connections in Sept and reserved the later flight to be on the safe side.

I don't have any experience with the HA non-stop from JFK, but if both flights are on HA, there is a good chance they'd put you on the next flight.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Thanks!
There wouldn't be time to even arrange for and pay for standby - and HA gives one a hard time about standby anyway. It's not like an hour and a half is going to give you a lot of time to dawdle anyway.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
There wouldn't be time to even arrange for and pay for standby - and HA gives one a hard time about standby anyway. It's not like an hour and a half is going to give you a lot of time to dawdle anyway.
Thanks guys,

Just hate to waste even one hour of precious time in Hawaii....hopefully HNL isn't too miserable a place to spend 90 minutes. And anyway it's the start of vacation so we should be optimistic even after an 11-hour flight in coach...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Thanks guys,

Just hate to waste even one hour of precious time in Hawaii....hopefully HNL isn't too miserable a place to spend 90 minutes. And anyway it's the start of vacation so we should be optimistic even after an 11-hour flight in coach...
There are Lahaina Chicken, Pinkberry and a Hawaiian Cookie Company store (choc. chip macadamia shortbreads!).
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
There are Lahaina Chicken, Pinkberry and a Hawaiian Cookie Company store (choc. chip macadamia shortbreads!).
And, if you want a Mai Tai, a bar is right next to the Lahaina Chicken place.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:49 pm

Hey,
I'll be travelling with United Flight 1431 from LAX. I need to catch a flight to Lihue Airport on Kaua'i. How much time should I allow to get from the UA terminal to the interisland terminal?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by WestonFli
Hey,
I'll be travelling with United Flight 1431 from LAX. I need to catch a flight to Lihue Airport on Kaua'i. How much time should I allow to get from the UA terminal to the interisland terminal?
Here are the MCTs for UA-HA and UA-WP.

Minimum Connect TimesShare Results
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00

Of course, these are minimums. The real time you allot yourself is a function of your risk- and stress-tolerances, whether you are on one PNR, and whether you baggage will be interlined.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:55 pm

Connecting Flights through HNL

Hello,

I am going to Hawaii for my Honeymoon in August; my fiance booked out flights last month. With all the TSA BS happening, I'm curious if I'm allowing enough time to get through?

We are flying on Mokulele from Oahu to HNL (landing at 955a on Wednesday morning). I know we will have to take the wiki wiki to our connecting (Alaska Air) and we'll have to go through TSA. Our flight leaves for the mainland at 1130a.

Do I have enough time or should I start praying that morning?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by wstaadt
Hello,

I am going to Hawaii for my Honeymoon in August; my fiance booked out flights last month. With all the TSA BS happening, I'm curious if I'm allowing enough time to get through?

We are flying on Mokulele from Oahu to HNL (landing at 955a on Wednesday morning). I know we will have to take the wiki wiki to our connecting (Alaska Air) and we'll have to go through TSA. Our flight leaves for the mainland at 1130a.

Do I have enough time or should I start praying that morning?

Thanks!
I would come into HNL the night before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.