Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:34 am

Inter island baggage HNL to mainland baggage

Getting off flight from Kona/Interisland terminal pick up bags, then make my way to Mainland terminal ?(international?) to meet sister coming in from mainland at United baggage. Figure I need alternate as I will be out of secure area. Wiki wiki or cab? I have 45 minutes to get there. Aloha nui
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Sandy808
Getting off flight from Kona/Interisland terminal pick up bags, then make my way to Mainland terminal ?(international?) to meet sister coming in from mainland at United baggage. Figure I need alternate as I will be out of secure area. Wiki wiki or cab? I have 45 minutes to get there. Aloha nui
Welcome to Flyertalk!

What do you mean when you say "Figure I need alternate.."?

Sandy808, have you been to HNL before? Unless you have ambulatory issues or just happen to catch a Wikiwiki right as you exit, walking will get you there pretty fast. And, you sister can wait for you if you are a few minutes late?

You won't be making any cab driver friends if you take the cab for a 30-second trip after the driver has been waiting an hour or two to pick up a fare.

FYI:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/intra-airport-transportation
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Is this sufficient time to connect?

HA JFK-HNL-LIH..........is 1 hour and 36 minutes enuf or should we go with 2 hours and 21 min?

HA OGG-HNL-JFK.........is 1 hour and 48 minutes enuf or should we go with 3 hours and 58 minutes?

Flights are in mid June..........and does it make a difference if bags are checked or are carry-on? These would economy tics.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You've got more than enough time to connect, particularly if your luggage is checked through.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Thank you Mary😊
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:06 pm

HNL to LIH connection: 1hr 5 mins enough?

I will have a connection in HNL (from mainland) to LIH. Is 1hr 5 mins enough to make the connection?

30 Apr 2016
Alaska 837: SJC to HNL : ETA 11.45AM (Terminal M)

HA 203: HNL to LIH : ETD 12:50PM

Both are on different tickets (Inbound bought vua British; Outbound bought via AA online)

1. Is the connection time sufficient? (1hr 5 mins)

2. Does Alaska allow checking bags all the way to LIH (at SJC)? I understand HA does not allow, if HA is the starting flight. How about this case where HA is the ending flight?

The next award I have for HNL to LIH is 4.14PM. But that would leave 4.30 mins lay over in HNL... way too long.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by openloop
I will have a connection in HNL (from mainland) to LIH. Is 1hr 5 mins enough to make the connection?

30 Apr 2016
Alaska 837: SJC to HNL : ETA 11.45AM (Terminal M)

HA 203: HNL to LIH : ETD 12:50PM

Both are on different tickets (Inbound bought vua British; Outbound bought via AA online)

1. Is the connection time sufficient? (1hr 5 mins)

2. Does Alaska allow checking bags all the way to LIH (at SJC)? I understand HA does not allow, if HA is the starting flight. How about this case where HA is the ending flight?

The next award I have for HNL to LIH is 4.14PM. But that would leave 4.30 mins lay over in HNL... way too long.

Thanks!
If you cannot check your luggage through, I suspect you will not be on your interisland flight. Even if you make it, you will be quite stressed.

Flights on HA depart from a connecting terminal that may take you about 15 minutes to get to from you AS luggage pickup. Then you will have check in, drop off your luggage on a carousel, and then go through security and find your gate.

If you had your luggage checked through, I would say this connection is "iffy." Without check-though, I think you miss your flight.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Not near enough time by a long shot.
Without an itinerary that is either all Hawaiian or all on one PNR...allow for 3 hrs to connect with baggage.
If no Baggage and the inbound flight is on time.....you might have a shot . Hawaiian Airlines especially the Inter-Island flights leave On -time......They board the flight 30-35 minutes in advance and close that door no questions asked.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Executrip
Not near enough time by a long shot.
Without an itinerary that is either all Hawaiian or all on one PNR...allow for 3 hrs to connect with baggage.
If no Baggage and the inbound flight is on time.....you might have a shot . Hawaiian Airlines especially the Inter-Island flights leave On -time......They board the flight 30-35 minutes in advance and close that door no questions asked.
Thanks 747FC and Executrip. I will move the connecting flight to 4.14PM

Anything fun to do in or near HNL for 4 hrs?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:43 am

Thanks 747FC and Executrip. I will move the connecting flight to 4.14PM

You can have lunch at Nico's, a casual place rated by locals as a top fish eatery:

http://nicospier38.com/

Easy taxi ride from HNL...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...idated+layover
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:31 pm

Connection through HNL to LAX

I read through most of the thread, but am still confused, so I hope you can answer my questions. It will be our first time in Hawaii and I don' t have any worries but the flights back to mainland US.
We are going KOA-HNL-LAX, all on Hawaiian (1 ticket)
1. the flights leaves KOA to HNL 6:13am. How early do we have to be at the Airport in KOA? We have to return a rental car and they open at 5:30. We have 1 luggage per person to check-in (through to LAX -should be possible).
2. I read something about agr.inspection here. Will that be in KOA or HNL?
3. We will arrive in HNL at 6:55am. The flights to LAX leaves at 7:50 am. (All Hawaiian, one ticket). Is this enough connection time?
4. If the agr.inspection is in HNL, how does this work? Is there enough time? What if we did check through our luggage?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by falex
I read through most of the thread, but am still confused, so I hope you can answer my questions. It will be our first time in Hawaii and I don' t have any worries but the flights back to mainland US.
We are going KOA-HNL-LAX, all on Hawaiian (1 ticket)
1. the flights leaves KOA to HNL 6:13am. How early do we have to be at the Airport in KOA? We have to return a rental car and they open at 5:30. We have 1 luggage per person to check-in (through to LAX -should be possible).
2. I read something about agr.inspection here. Will that be in KOA or HNL?
3. We will arrive in HNL at 6:55am. The flights to LAX leaves at 7:50 am. (All Hawaiian, one ticket). Is this enough connection time?
4. If the agr.inspection is in HNL, how does this work? Is there enough time? What if we did check through our luggage?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to Flyertalk (and to Hawaii!)

First, Agricultural inspection is in KOA. It takes about three seconds, assuming you have not secreted agricultural products in your checkin baggage. Only checkin bags go through this ag inspection.

Second, if I were in your situation, I would checkin my luggage with HA before I return the rental car. Simple enough to have one person check the luggage, and another to stay with the car. I would make sure that the luggage is checked in at least an hour in advance, but KOA has a 30-minute minimum for interisland flights. See this:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...check-in-times

N.B. that KOA agents are ready for your flight at 5:00, so that is the earliest you can check in.

You have enough time for transit in HNL. In the event you have a connection issue, HA will take care of you since you are on one ticket with them.

Aloha!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to Flyertalk (and to Hawaii!)

First, Agricultural inspection is in KOA. It takes about three seconds, assuming you have not secreted agricultural products in your checkin baggage. Only checkin bags go through this ag inspection.

Second, if I were in your situation, I would checkin my luggage with HA before I return the rental car. Simple enough to have one person check the luggage, and another to stay with the car. I would make sure that the luggage is checked in at least an hour in advance, but KOA has a 30-minute minimum for interisland flights. See this:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...check-in-times

N.B. that KOA agents are ready for your flight at 5:00, so that is the earliest you can check in.

You have enough time for transit in HNL. In the event you have a connection issue, HA will take care of you since you are on one ticket with them.

Aloha!
Thank you! Especially for the tipp checking in our luggage first and returning the rental car later.
Good to know they should be open for our flight at five and that the inspection is in KOA and doesn't take very long. I didn't even know there is such a thing before I started reading here.
Thanks Alex
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Connecting from AA to Hawaiian at HNL-LAX to Koa

I land into HNL at 12:55 (on AA from LAX). I will have checked luggage.

I want to book & fly onto KOA with Hawaiian departing at 13:57. Is this enough time to collect luggage, check in and make the flight? Will AA check my luggage from LAX to KOA even though it's not a codeshare and it's on a separate ticket?

There is another HNL-KOA flight departing 14:37 but I only want to book it if it's the only realistic option.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.