FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:38 pm
falex

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to Flyertalk (and to Hawaii!)

First, Agricultural inspection is in KOA. It takes about three seconds, assuming you have not secreted agricultural products in your checkin baggage. Only checkin bags go through this ag inspection.

Second, if I were in your situation, I would checkin my luggage with HA before I return the rental car. Simple enough to have one person check the luggage, and another to stay with the car. I would make sure that the luggage is checked in at least an hour in advance, but KOA has a 30-minute minimum for interisland flights. See this:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...check-in-times

N.B. that KOA agents are ready for your flight at 5:00, so that is the earliest you can check in.

You have enough time for transit in HNL. In the event you have a connection issue, HA will take care of you since you are on one ticket with them.

Aloha!
Thank you! Especially for the tipp checking in our luggage first and returning the rental car later.
Good to know they should be open for our flight at five and that the inspection is in KOA and doesn't take very long. I didn't even know there is such a thing before I started reading here.
Thanks Alex