FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:37 am
eeflyer

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sorry for making what is assuredly an unnecessary new thread; I assumed there would be a wiki with this information but found only this thread (and currently at NRT, so unable to crawl through 1000 posts): Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Flying NRT-HNL on JL, then HNL-OGG on HA a few hours later. Bags were tagged only to HNL. We have checked in online (but have no hard copy boarding passes) for HNL-OGG. Is there a bag recheck counter at HNL after immigration/customs like at most major US airports? Or do we need to take the bags somewhere else first? Any general guidance (or link to a thread on connecting from international specifically to inter-island) would be useful. TIA.
I've flown HA transiting from HND through HNL and they checked it all the way through. For that case, I carried the bags from the customs exit to the interisland terminal (five minute walk) and dropped it off at bag drop. I've also done UA to HNL connecting onto HA. In that case they also only tagged it to HNL. In that case I had to visit the HA desk in the interisland terminal.

I'm not sure if there was a place to get it retagged/dropped off at the customs hall exit. I may have missed anything available since both flights I came off extremely jet lagged and just did what was familiar. But for sure walking over to interisland will work and is not far at all. Just take a left out of the customs exit and walk to the interisland terminal, then go up the escalators/elevator to the departure level.