Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by patspal1
Hi all - new to this forum - hope somebody can help! We're arriving at OGG from Seattle at 2:35 on Hawaiian & have a 3:45 connecting flight to Oahu, also on HA....wondering what the distance is between gates (I know gates can change - just wanting a ballpark idea). Next ? is: how far from the Interisland Terminal to baggage claim in HNL? -- I've got breathing issues & am wondering if I should arrange for a wheelchair, do the WikiWiki or is it walkable? Thanks in advance!
Gates in OGG will depend on what section your connecting flight to HNL will depart. Hawaiian has just recently expanded to flying its interisland flights out of Gates 11, 13, and 15 (IIRC) at OGG which are a little farther than gates 17, 19, and 21, which were Hawaiian's normal gates. The latter are not far from the mainland flight gates (23 and higher) and luckily, neither are 11-13. OGG is not a big airport. Anticipate 5-10 minutes walking at a maximum at a normal pace.

The baggage claim at HNL are on the ground level of the interisland terminal. If you arrive at gates 54-60, no more than a few minutes. If you arrive at gates 49-53 (the old Aloha Airlines gates), tack on an additional 5 minutes.

Last edited by slippahs; Jan 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:53 pm

Thanks, slippahs!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by patspal1
Hi all - new to this forum - hope somebody can help! We're arriving at OGG from Seattle at 2:35 on Hawaiian & have a 3:45 connecting flight to Oahu, also on HA....wondering what the distance is between gates (I know gates can change - just wanting a ballpark idea). Next ? is: how far from the Interisland Terminal to baggage claim in HNL? -- I've got breathing issues & am wondering if I should arrange for a wheelchair, do the WikiWiki or is it walkable? Thanks in advance!
The OGG terminal is not large. I would suspect a comfortable walk of 10 minutes would take you from end to end. You will have to go through agricultural inspection (which is a TSA type conveyor screener of bags). I rarely encounter more than a few people in front of me when I get to it.

I do know they have agents that can assist with wheelchairs but if your particular arrival time is busy it may be a 5-10 minute wait until one arrives to assist.

I am unfamiliar with the interisland question.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Maui Time
The OGG terminal is not large. I would suspect a comfortable walk of 10 minutes would take you from end to end. You will have to go through agricultural inspection (which is a TSA type conveyor screener of bags). I rarely encounter more than a few people in front of me when I get to it.

I do know they have agents that can assist with wheelchairs but if your particular arrival time is busy it may be a 5-10 minute wait until one arrives to assist.

I am unfamiliar with the interisland question.

Have a great time!
No need to go through agricultural inspection when you're transferring from a U.S.-Mainland flight to an interisland flight. You just exit in a separate lane.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:51 am

Hawaiian airlines

If I am booking a flight on Hawaiian Air as a single reservation arriving from JFK at 330 and going on to LIH should I go with the 437 or 526 flight going on to LIH. We will have checked bags but since it will be a single ticket I assume they will transfer. It will be peak travel season if that changes anything.
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Definitely the later of the 2 connections .....90 mins is a bare minimum and 2 hours ideal.
You mention" high season"...... Would this be also during winter months?. In winter there is the potential for weather related delays on the Mainland.
If both itineraries are on one PNR or all on Hawaiian....your bags will be interlined.
You can transfer terminals still remaining in the secure zone.....just be careful to read the signage.
Proceed to your Inter-Island gate ASAP...as boarding will commence well in advance of departure. You want to be present and accounted for as the potential to lose one's seat to someone flying standby is great if you are late.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Executrip
Definitely the later of the 2 connections .....90 mins is a bare minimum and 2 hours ideal.
You mention" high season"...... Would this be also during winter months?. In winter there is the potential for weather related delays on the Mainland.
If both itineraries are on one PNR or all on Hawaiian....your bags will be interlined.
You can transfer terminals still remaining in the secure zone.....just be careful to read the signage.
Proceed to your Inter-Island gate ASAP...as boarding will commence well in advance of departure. You want to be present and accounted for as the potential to lose one's seat to someone flying standby is great if you are late.
Hawaiian does not begin boarding interisland flights until 20 minutes prior to departure and does not require you to be boarded until 10 minutes prior to departure.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Question How is the UA/HA connection IAD-KOA working out?

Am considering doing this on the outbound from IAD next January, was wondering if the connection time of 1:21 has worked out given that IAD-HNL flight does not appear to have the greatest on-time record per UA's stats.
We would be on one itinerary with lotsa checked bags.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:45 pm

Switching terminals at HNL

We will be flying "go airlines" from LIH to HNL. I believe we arrive at the commuter terminal. 4hour layover, then flying HNL to EWR on United.

We will have luggage to collect and re-check at HNL. need assistance with carrying baggage and getting around terminals. We usually use airport wheelchairs. This is our first time having to re-check luggage and switch terminals.

So... I know there are airport shuttles between terminals at HNL, but I'm wondering if it will be workable for us. Will someone load and unload our luggage? We can walk short distances, but that's all.

So, any suggestions for us please? Also, any hints about the best place to grab a bite to eat at HNL? We'll be there about 4:30-8:00 pm. We want a real dinner before heading to the United lounge.

Thanks much for any help.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Amyw. Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hawaii Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 pm

I just read the sticky and am even more confused about getting from the commuter terminal to the main(?) terminal for our connecting flight. Someone please help me out and tell me exactly what to do!

We are two less-than-able-bodied people who need assistance getting from one place to another, and dealing with luggage.

Thank you!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:59 am

They will call for a van for you at the commuter terminal, since the wiki wiki shuttle is not fully ADA compliant yet.

Though why do you need to claim and recheck your bags? Just check them through to your final destination when you check in with Go! for your first flight. That will make your day go much smoother. If you have separate reservations, just bring both confirmations with you, and get to the airport early.

Presumably you have made arrangements for wheelchairs with the airlines so you will be met. What about the stairs? At the commuter terminal, I think they just have portable stairs. What do they do for you when there's no ramp right into the terminal? Any chance you can switch to Hawaiian Airlines? At LIH and HNL, they use ramps, no stairs to get on/off the plain, and the land at the interisland terminal.

There's food courts in the main terminal, not much to eat in the Diamond wing where UA is located. There's a couple of restaurants located at the very end of the main terminal, closer to the diamond head wing. That might work for you?

Not a lot of info on this page, but there's some links to some phone numbers you can call if you want to try to get more info:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-inform...sked-questions

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 24, 2013 at 4:05 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:37 am

Hi David, thank you for your reply. After reading it, I called go! again, and they confirmed that they will *not* check bags through on United Airlines, so we do need to collect them and then re-check them. However, the good news is that there is a ramp to the plane, not stairs. So that's a relief.

If I had done my homework before booking, I would have chosen the Hawaiian Air flight which does seem to be much easier all the way around. But our tickets with go! are non-refundable, and the flights on Hawaiian Air are over $100 each.

I called HNL Airport Customer Service, who informed us that the wheelchair-pushers will take us to the wiki-wiki and that "someone" would help us getting our luggage on and off. So that's our Plan A, and we're anticipating that all will go smoothly. Nobody mentioned that there's a van, but we will ask about that when we get there.

Just in case, Plan B is to take a taxi from one terminal to another - it will be cheaper than losing our non-refundable tickets and rebooking.

I hope this thread will help someone else from making the same silly mistake I made. I was in a rush when booking and didn't do enough research. Our "cheap" tickets on go! really aren't, because of the $17/bag fee, and the hassle factor of not being able to check our luggage through.

On the bright side...hey, it's HAWAII As I always say, "Even a bad day in Hawaii is better than a good day in NJ"
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Go jets are small - why not ask that your bags be gate checked or tagged for gate checking so you can claim them planeside and loaded to the van or cart which will take you to the UA terminal for checking at the gate - you want to stay airside, and not leave the sterile area and need to re-clear security if possible.

The porters who take your wheelchairs from the van up into the terminal should be able to bring your bags to the UA gate, and the agent there will gate check them to Newark....but be prepared to tip appropriately.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Are the go! customer service representatives correct? Does the airline no longer have an interline baggage agreement with UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.