Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
More than enough. Even with checked luggage, you should have plenty of time to spare.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold, Hyatt & Hilton Diamond.
Hi guys, I have flights from SYD - HNL booked for 5th May 2014, our flight arrives at 7:45AM and I want to fly to the mainland so will look around at flying to LAX mid afternoon.

I have *A Gold , Skyteam Elite and Virgin Australia WP status.

What would be the best airline to fly with? And what would the usual price be for a one way ticket? I can see its roughly $332 With HA, DL, AA and US.

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:51 am

Isn't 2 hours too little time to clear U.S. Customs at HNL and connect to LAX flight?

Isn't 2 hours too little time to clear U.S. Customs at HNL and connect to LAX flight?
(not to mention the possibility of weather or other issues)

I haven't been to HNL in a while, but last time I was there, it took almost 90 minutes
to clear immigration/customs. 70 of those minutes were waiting in line before I even
got to hand over my passport. Another 20 minutes to find my bag and head out the door.

How long does it take to walk from the customs exit to the mainland US flight gates?

If the inbound flight arrives on-time, but customs/immigration causes long delays,
does Hawaiian Airlines rebook pasengers on the next available flight? If no available
flight until the next day, do they provide hotel?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
I was surprised to find a Food Truck in the Hertz rental lot on my last visit... really wanted to get something but my friend was in a hurry to go to da beach
wait... are you saying the food truck was available for rent at Hertz?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by CenterWaters
(not to mention the possibility of weather or other issues)

I haven't been to HNL in a while, but last time I was there, it took almost 90 minutes
to clear immigration/customs. 70 of those minutes were waiting in line before I even
got to hand over my passport. Another 20 minutes to find my bag and head out the door.

How long does it take to walk from the customs exit to the mainland US flight gates?

If the inbound flight arrives on-time, but customs/immigration causes long delays,
does Hawaiian Airlines rebook pasengers on the next available flight? If no available
flight until the next day, do they provide hotel?

Thanks!
I arrived from SYD on HA this morning connecting on HA to SFO - 3 hour window to clear customs etc....

I was first off the Airbus that must have been at the most distant gate and made a quick pace to immigration. Very few signs so it's a little confusing. You actually go outside for awhile! As I was outside a JAL flight was arriving by bus so they probably got ahead of most SYD PAX. I had 5 people ahead of me at immigration but got thru quickly. My guess is the lines built up pretty quickly so I can see an hour or more wait.

As you come out of Customs there are signs that point to Mainland US flights. What they don't say is that they are NOT HA mainland flights so I schlepped all the way down to Mainland departures only to have to schlep all the way back to the HA terminal. SIgnage could be better.

Having said that I was sitting in the Premier lounge after going thru security within an hour.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CenterWaters
wait... are you saying the food truck was available for rent at Hertz?
Naw cuz... it was da kine grindz
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:31 am

Please help me...... we are flying on AA from DFW to HNL we (2 of us) arrive at 2pm in HNL. (i have already bought these tickets).
But from HNL we need to go to KOA. I am buying a tickets on Hawaiian airlines (which are partners with AA). Is there any way I do not have to re check my bags for this flight..? the flight I was looking at is at 3:19pm... is that enough time if i do have to recheck my bags?

also does anyone know if this flight is "mostly" on time from the mainland?
any thoughts would be most appreciated..
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
another connection question

I have a ticket arriving in HNL on AA (AA31) at 10.50am. On a separate ticket I am looking to book I want to take the AA162 departing 12.20pm back to LAX.

Presumably this is the same plane?
With 1hr 30mins turnaround time, I am also presuming that this should be plenty and within the DOM-DOM MCT?
A silly question perhaps (being a non US citizen), also presume that there is no immigration / passport control for arriving or disembarking from HNL to LAX?

And furthermore as the same plane, I would be reasonably protected should the inbound be running late? I would check-in online sub 24hours and before I left LAX.

Finally, could LAX issue my HNL-LAX boarding pass or does it have to be done at HNL because it would be a separate ticket?

thanks in advance
dj
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by djsteve
A silly question perhaps (being a non US citizen), also presume that there is no immigration / passport control for arriving or disembarking from HNL to LAX?

And furthermore as the same plane, I would be reasonably protected should the inbound be running late? I would check-in online sub 24hours and before I left LAX.
dj
So sorry that you are not spending more time in my home State! Next time, spend a few days and get to know us better....That being said, there is no CPB here on flights from LAX, so you do not have ot worry about that. Furthermore, if you have webchecked in for your return flight, you will be safe. Just get off your in-bound. Hang out at the lounge, and get back to LAX...

Aloha!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
So sorry that you are not spending more time in my home State! Next time, spend a few days and get to know us better....That being said, there is no CPB here on flights from LAX, so you do not have ot worry about that. Furthermore, if you have webchecked in for your return flight, you will be safe. Just get off your in-bound. Hang out at the lounge, and get back to LAX...

Aloha!
Thanks for the reply 747FC. I promise that on my next visit I will hang around longer!
I am coming back through HNL from ICN a few days later, but alas only around 4hours transit on that occasion.
cheers
dj
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: TG G & BA G
risky connection?

Hi first time post on this threads!

My friend asked me to search on this.
She has flight arriving to hnl at 9:50am on oz232 and connecting on aa162 at 12:10pm to lax on separate tickets. Will she be able to make it if no irregularity of incoming flight from icn?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 am

Nicer seat and tighter connection Vs. poorer seat and safe connection?

Similar to the above post, I am seeking some sage advice on a planned transit (coming back through HNL this time) of HNL.
I have either NRT-HNL arriving on JL at 09.25 on their 767 or arriving at 10.10 on the 772.
The 772 appears to have nicer J seats than the 767 but gives me 2hr10mins to clear customs and entry to the states and catch the AA162 back to LAX.
I would very much prefer this flight as I am hoping to get some sleep on the flight.

On the face of it, this gives me sufficient time and I will not need to wait for luggage as hand luggage only trip. Check-in for my HNL-LAX can be done online presumably before my departure from NRT too.

Any wisdom from the collective? Separate tickets of course and I have another connection to make in LAX, but should i miss that worst case is a rebooking on the next flight (to JFK) to ensure i catch the next and final connection to LHR...

Also worth mentioning I am a non-USA passport holder so not sure if there are separate queues for foreign passport holders and indeed if these are longer! As I am coming back from a previous transit of the states 7days prior would this hold me up for further questioning too and factoring in?

cheers
dj
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:51 am

The 772 appears to have nicer J seats than the 767 but gives me 2hr10mins to clear customs and entry to the states and catch the AA162 back to LAX.
I would very much prefer this flight as I am hoping to get some sleep on the flight.
dj
Looks like you have a plan. You just chill a bit in HNL, but what is so bad about that?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Looks like you have a plan. You just chill a bit in HNL, but what is so bad about that?
So would you go for the 2hr10 connection and try not to worry about it? After all, rerouting could be done (at a price) if the worst happens?
dj
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:57 am

So would you go for the 2hr10 connection and try not to worry about it? After all, rerouting could be done (at a price) if the worst happens?
dj
According to Hawaiian Airlines website, minimum connect times in your scenario is 2 hours.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/docu...ion-times.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.